PDA

View Full Version : stress and drinks/smoking

Chrysalis
01-09-2006, 11:50
We keep been told that drinking is bad for us and smoking is bad for us, but here is a thought someone I know died of a heart attack at just 43, he never drank unless special occasions and didnt smoke. Stress is a major killer probably the biggest killer we have as when you stressed it causes all kinds of problems and increases likelyhood of heart attacks, strokes and cancer. Yes smoking and alcohol are both effective at reducing stress even if its temporary. If used in a controlled manner do you think these actually extend life? in other words if everyone was non smokers and didnt drink would we have a lower life expectancy.

MovedGoalPosts
01-09-2006, 12:57
I don't think anyone has even shown that even the smallest amount of smoking has any benefit to health.

Alcohol, in moderation is less clear cut. Whether it's the alchohol, or more likely other things in the tipple of choice, there seems to be an argument that moderate use, i.e. glass of wine a day, could have some benefit.

But it's overall lifestyle that is important. Stress is bad, We all need to take time to chill out, and switch off. Sedentry lifestyle is also bad, but overdoing the excercise is also not a good idead - how many younger bods do you see limping around with some sort of self inflicted sporting injury ;)

Salu
01-09-2006, 13:32
You're right in saying stress is bad for your health but so is smoking and much more so. Moderate alcohol is fine; excess is damaging. To use these to promote health is an interesting concept but in my opinion unfounded. Although smoking may give a temporary relief of stress it is a psychological adjunct and not of any real benefit in the longer term. Smoking as I have stated before on this forum is responsible for causing or exacerbating over 100 different medical conditions and will certainly harm you in some way depending on your immune system. It may not kill you but it most likely will. Avoid it like a plague.

A heart attack at the age of 43 in a non smoker is most probably due to familial hypercholesterolaemia which is a hereditary high level of cholesterol which causes a build up of “plaque” in the arteries. These can then crack and the body thinks it has a leak so sends the command to form a clot over the crack. This then blocks the artery which decreases blood flow to a part of the heart causing “cramp” or angina. If this artery becomes fully blocked it cuts off the blood supply completely and kills part of the heart – a “heart attack”. Depending on which artery is affected it can cause the heart to stop beating and fibrillate which is then called a cardiac arrest.

Chrysalis
01-09-2006, 14:51
The thing is lets say someone dies as a result of lung disease it gets blamed on smoking and the person is say 69, who is to know they wouldnt have died 10 years earlier of a heart attack due to stress because they werent taking any stress reducing products.

TheNorm
01-09-2006, 14:55
The thing is lets say someone dies as a result of lung disease it gets blamed on smoking and the person is say 69, who is to know they wouldnt have died 10 years earlier of a heart attack due to stress because they werent taking any stress reducing products.

Smokers who quit live longer than smokers who don't.

Chrysalis
01-09-2006, 15:11
well my mum has asthma smokes 20 a day and is in her 60s, so you just made a sweeping comment that isnt true. Its a theory. Smoking itself causes problems I dont deny but I think it just fixes one problem and causes a new problem.

Stress and anxiety are huge cuases of illness.

Alcohol perhaps is a different matter tho?

TheDaddy
01-09-2006, 17:02
well my mum has asthma smokes 20 a day and is in her 60s, so you just made a sweeping comment that isnt true. Its a theory. Smoking itself causes problems I dont deny but I think it just fixes one problem and causes a new problem.

Stress and anxiety are huge cuases of illness.

Alcohol perhaps is a different matter tho?

Come on we all know one relative who smokes 40 a day, lives to be 90 and never had so much a cough but for everyone of them how many did we know who died of cancer, heart disease ect brought on by the fags, probably a lot more than we knew who died of stress related diseases.

Dan_Sette
01-09-2006, 17:25

Except..except...except.

You are ignoring the medical effects of nicotine.

It is reasoned that smoking apparently relieves stress for two reasons:

1 psychological. The stressed person who smokes is giving themselves a moments "break" from the stress, largely by doing something other than what is causing the stress. Namely, finding the packet, lighting up and "enjoying" the first drag. This is made even more relaxing in the work environment where smokers have to go outside / to a special area to smoke. Frankly, non smoking stress sufferers would benefit from the same treatment. Namely walking away form their desk for ten minutes, giving them time to calm down from the stressful situation.

2 It dumps adrenalin into the bodies sysytem, provoking the "fight or flight" reaction and thus appearing more able to cope with the situation.

but..but.. people who are stressed have high blood pressure levels and increased heart rate (which is what brings on potential heart attacks)

Smoking releases nictotine into the bloodstream. Nicotine changes how your brain and your body function. It causes the adrenaline release which further increases blood pressure and heart rate. On top of the effects of stress it is a lethal combination.

So, no, in answer to your original point, there is no time that smoking reduces stress (just the opposite) and can be claimed to be good for you.

D

timewarrior2001
01-09-2006, 17:38
As someone who is currently suffering from stress, anxiety and depression and taking medication for it, i find that smoking relaxes me. I sometimes go and get rat arsed.

What makes me very angry is the attitude of some people against smoking. If you dont like it fine, dont like, no one is forcing it upon you, dont smoke, but for ****s sake let the people who genuinley enjoy smoking have a smoke in peace.

I live in a heavily industrialised town, the chances of me contracting some nasty lung disease are fairly high anyway, I suffer from high blood pressure, I smoke occasionally and then I smoke filtered cigars. I drink very occasionally, i go to the gymn, and am more carefull about what I eat, and you know what? life like this ****ing sucks and is barely worth living, there is no fun anymore.

We cant do this because it might cause that, and that might cause this and oh well you are going to die younger because you dont live in London. ENOUGH is what I say. Lets enjoy our short time on this earth perhaps if we were allowed to enjoy ourselves and not have oppressive people screaming in our faces about what we do is damaging our own health then perhaps stress levels would drop.

I recently visited my doctor and according to the BMI, I am morbidly obese. You know why? because it doesnt take into account the fact that I am big built from when I was a semi professional sprinter. thats scientific fact, thats how well the BMI think one chart fits all.

as a slogan I once saw says: Quiting is for wimps, it takes balls to face cancer. lets all just chill huh?

We could live a puritan life and drop dead at 30 from some sort of gentical abnormality we didnt know about, lets enjoy our life, however short it is destined to be.

jellybaby
01-09-2006, 18:54
As someone who is currently suffering from stress, anxiety and depression and taking medication for it, i find that smoking relaxes me. I sometimes go and get rat arsed.

What makes me very angry is the attitude of some people against smoking. If you dont like it fine, dont like, no one is forcing it upon you, dont smoke, but for ****s sake let the people who genuinley enjoy smoking have a smoke in peace.

I live in a heavily industrialised town, the chances of me contracting some nasty lung disease are fairly high anyway, I suffer from high blood pressure, I smoke occasionally and then I smoke filtered cigars. I drink very occasionally, i go to the gymn, and am more carefull about what I eat, and you know what? life like this ****ing sucks and is barely worth living, there is no fun anymore.

We cant do this because it might cause that, and that might cause this and oh well you are going to die younger because you dont live in London. ENOUGH is what I say. Lets enjoy our short time on this earth perhaps if we were allowed to enjoy ourselves and not have oppressive people screaming in our faces about what we do is damaging our own health then perhaps stress levels would drop.

I recently visited my doctor and according to the BMI, I am morbidly obese. You know why? because it doesnt take into account the fact that I am big built from when I was a semi professional sprinter. thats scientific fact, thats how well the BMI think one chart fits all.

as a slogan I once saw says: Quiting is for wimps, it takes balls to face cancer. lets all just chill huh?

We could live a puritan life and drop dead at 30 from some sort of gentical abnormality we didnt know about, lets enjoy our life, however short it is destined to be.

:clap:

Nidge
02-09-2006, 12:03
A good mate of mine died last week from a stroke bought on by stress aged 42, his kids had been abducted by his wife and took abroad, the stress finally killed him off, he was a fit bloke, he was a nurse in our local hospital, he played football each week.

smicer07
02-09-2006, 12:24

That's what 16 year old smokers say.. "well I could be run over by a bus tomorrow anyway". Take some responsibility. I hope, at least, you don't have children.

Hugh
02-09-2006, 14:18
... snip ... as a slogan I once saw says: Quitting is for wimps, it takes balls to face cancer. lets all just chill huh?

TW2K1, if you do get cancer, what about your family? - you don't live in a solipsistic world - your actions have effects on others.

The above slogan was probably sponsored by Phillip Morris and BAT.

arcamalpha2004
02-09-2006, 14:57

Doesnt smoking raise your heart rate? has been tested on babies in the womb ( whilst mother is smoking )

So surely raised heart rate=shorter life?

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

TW2K1, if you do get cancer, what about your family? - you don't live in a solipsistic world - your actions have effects on others.

The above slogan was probably sponsored by Phillip Morris and BAT.

Tell that to the friends of a 39 year old guy from around here.
His problems started 4 months ago after his mothers funeral, he was completely misdiagnosed from the start, he's to be buried next week.:(

timewarrior2001
02-09-2006, 15:26
That's what 16 year old smokers say.. "well I could be run over by a bus tomorrow anyway". Take some responsibility. I hope, at least, you don't have children.

Actually I DO have children, not that its ANY business of yours.

And the fact remains, my children will not be wrapped in cotton wool and leading miserable lives, in case somehting hurts them. My children will have an immune system because I wont be running to the doctors every 10 minutes for more anti biotics for them.

My children will be allowed play outside, they will be encouraged to exercise.

But I am a parent that knows only too well how fragile life is, when my then 2 year old son was run over in a hit and run, he had 2 wheels of the car go right over his abdomen.

I assume most people believe because I smoke then I must smoke in front of children, that goes to show how narrow minded and completely out of touch those people are and it also prooves that you should NEVER jump to conclusions about someone.

My attitude stands, I would rather my children had a happy, carefree life than a sheltered up bringing and living to be 100 +

I experimented in drugs when I was younger, I had a motorbike that I used to ride on fields with, I worked in my school holidays on my uncles farm. Lets say I have experienced a lot that life has to offer and because of that I feel I am justified in my beliefs.
I've done some very very stupid things, and I have done some very very courageous things.
I was brought up that if I fell off a wall and knacked my arm, then it wqas my own stupid fault, When I fell out of a tree and landed on my chin, my parents didnt try and sue the local council. When I contracted Measles when I was 3 my parents didnt panic and dmenad answers I was put to bed and the doctor was called. Same with chickenpox, and mumps.
When I fell off a motorbike onto a gravel track and took ALL the skin off my forearms and palms and finger tips I didnt go to hosptial, I was cleaned up, had the grit scraped out and had one of those wonderfull none stick dressings applied, which promptly stuck.

So when I OCCASIONALLY smoke I do so because I wish to, and yes if any snotty nosed little **** came up to me saying hey your poluting my air, I tell them to **** off and find some cleaner air....away from me. Lets face it in Teesside its harder to find clean air than polluted air.
Its the same people that go out on a weekend and pickle their brain in Vodka and redbull then beat some innocent person half to death because they looked at them.

no I am smart enough to live my own life and make informed decisions for myself and my own children thankyou very much.

MadGamer
02-09-2006, 16:43
Woah lets relax people, why all the personal attacks on each other?

smicer07
02-09-2006, 19:03

And the fact remains, my children will not be wrapped in cotton wool and leading miserable lives, in case somehting hurts them. My children will have an immune system because I wont be running to the doctors every 10 minutes for more anti biotics for them.

But I am a parent that knows only too well how fragile life is, when my then 2 year old son was run over in a hit and run, he had 2 wheels of the car go right over his abdomen.

I assume most people believe because I smoke then I must smoke in front of children, that goes to show how narrow minded and completely out of touch those people are and it also prooves that you should NEVER jump to conclusions about someone.

My attitude stands, I would rather my children had a happy, carefree life than a sheltered up bringing and living to be 100 +

I experimented in drugs when I was younger, I had a motorbike that I used to ride on fields with, I worked in my school holidays on my uncles farm. Lets say I have experienced a lot that life has to offer and because of that I feel I am justified in my beliefs.
I've done some very very stupid things, and I have done some very very courageous things.
I was brought up that if I fell off a wall and knacked my arm, then it wqas my own stupid fault, When I fell out of a tree and landed on my chin, my parents didnt try and sue the local council. When I contracted Measles when I was 3 my parents didnt panic and dmenad answers I was put to bed and the doctor was called. Same with chickenpox, and mumps.
When I fell off a motorbike onto a gravel track and took ALL the skin off my forearms and palms and finger tips I didnt go to hosptial, I was cleaned up, had the grit scraped out and had one of those wonderfull none stick dressings applied, which promptly stuck.

So when I OCCASIONALLY smoke I do so because I wish to, and yes if any snotty nosed little **** came up to me saying hey your poluting my air, I tell them to **** off and find some cleaner air....away from me. Lets face it in Teesside its harder to find clean air than polluted air.
Its the same people that go out on a weekend and pickle their brain in Vodka and redbull then beat some innocent person half to death because they looked at them.

no I am smart enough to live my own life and make informed decisions for myself and my own children thankyou very much.

Of course you can live life how you choose, that's fair enough. I said nothing to the contrary. I was merely pointing out that, in my opinion, "one" should look after oneself a little more when one has children that need you to live a long and healthy life. Seeing you smoking isn't going to encourage that, with you being a role model and all. That's all.

fireman328
02-09-2006, 20:12

---------- Post added at 20:12 ---------- Previous post was at 19:50 ----------

Here Here !! a voice of sanity in this politically correct nanny state. I do not drink ethanol what ever it is called because I like to be clear headed but I do not approach strangers vomiting in the street telling them the error of their ways, I feel that they know what is best for themselves and if that includes sniffing cocaine or popping pills that is their business. How many anti smokers consider the odd non prescribed benny to be acceptable but abhor the "dirty" smokers. As a good man once said " Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Salu
02-09-2006, 20:53
A good mate of mine died last week from a stroke bought on by stress aged 42, his kids had been abducted by his wife and took abroad, the stress finally killed him off, he was a fit bloke, he was a nurse in our local hospital, he played football each week.

Stress can accelerate and precipitate medical conditions. Smoking causes diseases. Side by side smoking will kill more people by far.

Not aimed at you Smicer07....but being run over by a bus is a kinder, quicker way to die than death from emphysema or COPD (look it up..). Smoking is almost completely accepted by the medical profession to cause serious damage. Why do some still not choose to believe? I can understand those who choose to ignore it but those who argue pro it.....denial??

And the fact remains, my children will not be wrapped in cotton wool and leading miserable lives, in case something hurts them. My children will have an immune system because I wont be running to the doctors every 10 minutes for more anti biotics for them.

Presumably they didn't bring you up to be selfish though, so where's the "sod everyone around me" attitude from? I would have no problem with you smoking in a sealed box but I would be quite annoyed if you were at the table next to me in a restaurant though. Would you mind if I belched and drifted methane and hydrogen sulphide over you when you were around me?

....soon to be irrelevant though, it will be banned.

TheDaddy
02-09-2006, 20:58
Not sure about banning it Doc, you think with the looming pension crisis and people living longer the government would be encouraging people to smoke :)

Hugh
02-09-2006, 21:03
Fine if smoking only affected the person smoking (there are very few reported cases of health issues caused by second hand vomit), but unfortunately second hand smoke (SHS)affects others' health.

"Exposure to SHS has immediate health effects. It can reduce lung function; exacerbate respiratory problems; trigger asthma attacks; reduce coronary blood flow; irritate eyes; and cause headaches, coughs, sort throats, dizziness and nausea.

As well as the immediate health effects there are also long-term health effects, especially with continued exposure over time. The US Surgeon General in June 2006 concluded that that there is no risk-free level of exposure to SHS.This conclusion adds to the weight of scientific evidence including a review by the Scientific Committee on Tobacco and Health (SCOTH) in the UK, published in 2004, which stated that †œno infant, child or adult should be exposed to secondhand smokeÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šà ¬Ã‚Â and that SHS is a substantial health hazard.
http://www.ash.org.uk/html/factsheets/html/SHS_briefing.htm

timewarrior2001
03-09-2006, 10:52
Stress can accelerate and precipitate medical conditions. Smoking causes diseases. Side by side smoking will kill more people by far.

Not aimed at you Smicer07....but being run over by a bus is a kinder, quicker way to die than death from emphysema or COPD (look it up..). Smoking is almost completely accepted by the medical profession to cause serious damage. Why do some still not choose to believe? I can understand those who choose to ignore it but those who argue pro it.....denial??

Presumably they didn't bring you up to be selfish though, so where's the "sod everyone around me" attitude from? I would have no problem with you smoking in a sealed box but I would be quite annoyed if you were at the table next to me in a restaurant though. Would you mind if I belched and drifted methane and hydrogen sulphide over you when you were around me?

....soon to be irrelevant though, it will be banned.

Never and I repeat NEVER smoked in a restaurant. Rastaurant are for eating food not smoking.

IN the pub sometimes I smoke, but I dont smoke at the bar, I dont smoke near people eating, and I smoke within a group of other smokers.
People not liking it could always move away, funnily enough most none smokers I have come across will simply move away but then you always have one ******** that cant keep their mouths shut.

And to be honest if you belched in a restaurant in front of me, I'd do one of two things, laugh my ass off at you or slap you for having no manners.
I could complain about your car, proabably more if you drove a diesel. Hey what ab out your central heating system, is it in tip top condition? Do you use electricity....oh yes how much is provided by none polluting powerstations. Those stations are destroying the air I breathe and therefor causing damage to my lungs....I demand you stop using electricity for the benefit of my health.

Pathetic is it not? yeah well thats how I see the anti smoking facist army that seems to be dictating too much of what goes on.

Theres millions of things that do us harm, such as smoking, drinking, even exercise, as jogging is not particularly healthy. What about the chemicals farmers have to use to sanitise grain, to protect their livestock, this stuff can kill humans but hey no outcry there is there? because the people of the towns and cities dont get to see it happening. What about conditions such as farmers lung???? You could argue that Farmers could avoid these chemicals, but unfortunately there isnt enough people willing to pay the extortionate prices for organic foods....despite it being a trendy fad.

I watched someone who didnt smoke die of cancer, she had bone cancer in her perlvis, and inoperable tumour in her pelvis and Lung cancer that would not give up. She was 21. So please do NOT preach to me, I make my choices and I stick by my choices, when I decide I dont want to smoke any more I will quit. But only when I decide I want to not because some little knobjockey has badgered me into it.

Oh and by the way, I have an A level in Chemistry so I know only too well what makes up our bodily odour and bodily functions.

Dan_Sette
03-09-2006, 12:13
Woah lets relax people, why all the personal attacks on each other?

Yes, it's a shame. It started out with a question that could have sparked an interesting debate (albeit with a misguided premis behind it). Suddenly the anti / pro smoking debate gets hold of it and it runs out of control.

Although, that said I can't resist....

Never and I repeat NEVER smoked in a restaurant. Rastaurant are for eating food not smoking.

IN the pub sometimes I smoke, but I dont smoke at the bar, I dont smoke near people eating, and I smoke within a group of other smokers.
People not liking it could always move away, funnily enough most none smokers I have come across will simply move away but then you always have one ******** that cant keep their mouths shut.

Or, as a smoker, you also could move away, you semi admit it is anti social by tying it in with your follow up "belching" comment.

Oh and by the way, I have an A level in Chemistry so I know only too well what makes up our bodily odour and bodily functions.

So as a supposedly intelligent person you manage to come out with this drivel? Mind you, anyone who comes on here proclaiming themselves to be a racist has my contempt. And should be banned.

Talking of bans, roll on next summer.

D

Angua
03-09-2006, 13:03
The hardest thing to do is give up smoking and to succeed you need to want to stop and be totally committed to quitting. No amount of health risk or any other blackening of the smoking habit will change a long time smoker because the addiction is so strong, and they will come up with every reason in the book not to quit. Fact!

timewarrior2001
03-09-2006, 19:10
So as a supposedly intelligent person you manage to come out with this drivel? Mind you, anyone who comes on here proclaiming themselves to be a racist has my contempt. And should be banned.

Talking of bans, roll on next summer.

D

Ahaaaa another one falls into my trap, again someone who barely knows me or anything about me on this forum makes the mistake of believing I am racist and could not resist having a go.

What you consider to be drivel has earned me several messages of support, so at least i'm not alone.

I would be reasonably safe to assume you would be one of the people I would tell to **** off in a pub, you would be one of the anti smoking facist party.
One of the worlds kill joys that my very first post in this thread was aimed at.

You dont like my attitude I'm over the moon about that, but can you please point out what is drivel, have I ever stated that smoking does not harm you? have I ever stated that smoking is good for you? please at least try and get somehting right before criticising others.

Dan_Sette
03-09-2006, 19:54
Ahaaaa another one falls into my trap, again someone who barely knows me or anything about me on this forum makes the mistake of believing I am racist and could not resist having a go.

Then don't make the mistake of branding yourself the "oficial racist bigot". It's not big and it's not......erm....clever.

What you consider to be drivel has earned me several messages of support, so at least i'm not alone.

From smokers, no doubt. The one in five minority.

I would be reasonably safe to assume you would be one of the people I would tell to **** off in a pub, you would be one of the anti smoking facist party.
One of the worlds kill joys that my very first post in this thread was aimed at.

Ex-smoker, actually. Your anti social habit is obviously refected in your anti social behaviour. Incidentally my post was a little side swipe at your first post. It started out as a fairly level headed debate. With the paranoia of smokers you decided it was an attack on smokers.

I do not have a problem with you smoking, but it the interest of courtesy would ask you do not do it near me. In return I will promise not to belch near you.

You dont like my attitude I'm over the moon about that, but can you please point out what is drivel, have I ever stated that smoking does not harm you? have I ever stated that smoking is good for you? please at least try and get somehting right before criticising others.

Did I say that you thought smoking was good for you? Please read my post before criticising what you thought I said.

You wish to smoke, please feel free in the comfort of your own home. I have no problem with that. However the majority of the country are non smokers. You saying that if you can't smoke means they can't use electricity.......to me that is drivel.

I could complain about your car, proabably more if you drove a diesel. Hey what ab out your central heating system, is it in tip top condition? Do you use electricity....oh yes how much is provided by none polluting powerstations. Those stations are destroying the air I breathe and therefor causing damage to my lungs....I demand you stop using electricity for the benefit of my health.

superbiatch
03-09-2006, 21:45
I think people need to remember that smoking causes you stress and does not relieve it. The heart rate speeds up which puts more strain on the heart.

I work for an NHS stop smoking service and I am an ex-smoker. I feel sorry for smokers who are constantly being picked on. Smoking is a choice and so long as people are considerate, I don't care whether they do or don't. Obviouslty it would make my life easier if they did quit, as we'd meet our targets, but so very often people turn up who don't want to quit - but have been told to come by their GP's etc. Unless people are motivated to quit, they won't.

Just thought i'd put my two penneth's worth in ;)

btw if anyone wants any info on quitting smoking log onto www.givingupsmoking.co.uk

danielf
03-09-2006, 22:12
I think people need to remember that smoking causes you stress and does not relieve it. The heart rate speeds up which puts more strain on the heart.

By that reasoning, we should all give up exercise, as it speeds up the heart rate far more. I think I'll cancel tomorrow's squash game and opt for a fag :D

timewarrior2001
03-09-2006, 22:13
snip

That was an interesting edit, carefully leaving out the part where I clearly said "its pathetic is it not?"

oh well, just as well I dont care really.

Angua
03-09-2006, 22:25
By that reasoning, we should all give up exercise, as it speeds up the heart rate far more. I think I'll cancel tomorrow's squash game and opt for a fag :D

Nah... speeding up a resting heart rate is not good, but speeding up an active heartrate is! (wish I could follow my own advice :rofl: need more excercise since quitting the fags but don't manage it)

TheDaddy
03-09-2006, 22:25

I used to work at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford and I used to see the joggers going up and down the A505 for hours but when you think about all the traffic pollution, they may as well have stayed at home and smoked 20 fags for the amount of good it did them ;)

superbiatch
03-09-2006, 22:35

OK, see your point there. In smokers, very often fatty residues attach themselves to the arteries causing them to thin and blood cannot get through as efficiently as it should do. Taking this into account, and the heart rate rising, wanting to push the blood round the body quicker - its a recipe for disaster :shocked:

TheNorm
03-09-2006, 22:43
Exercise is good for anyone of any age, provided that you don't overdo it.

Even parking at the edge of Tesco's and walking across the car park is beneficial!

danielf
03-09-2006, 22:47
OK, see your point there. In smokers, very often fatty residues attach themselves to the arteries causing them to thin and blood cannot get through as efficiently as it should do. Taking this into account, and the heart rate rising, wanting to push the blood round the body quicker - its a recipe for disaster :shocked:

I know that :) Your earlier statement in isolation did not make much sense though. Thanks for elaborating :tu: ;)

homealone
03-09-2006, 23:01
ooh look, people might be agreeing that 'some' exercise can do some good :cool:

I'm going to have to bike to work, tomorrow, for the first time in six weeks, so I'm no :angel:

- but giving up smoking was the best thing I have done, over the last two years, my blood pressure agrees, as well :cool:

Note that isn't meant to imply criticism of any different opinions ;)

superbiatch
03-09-2006, 23:10
I know that :) Your earlier statement in isolation did not make much sense though. Thanks for elaborating :tu: ;)

Big night out last night, still reaping the consequences now :(

fireman328
03-09-2006, 23:14
Have risk assessments been carried out at places of public entertainment where special effects such as smoke and dry ice are in use as I feel that the anti smoking lobby may wish to ban these on the grounds that they are "passive" smoking. Or are the non smokers going to be issued with breathing apparatus. I could also include laser effects and the nasty detetergent bubble machines which cause severe irritation in the throat and lungs. These are obviously safe as the people will be "active" smoking then and that of course is OK. Hypocracy obviously rules.

danielf
03-09-2006, 23:31
I used to work at the Imperial War Museum in Duxford and I used to see the joggers going up and down the A505 for hours but when you think about all the traffic pollution, they may as well have stayed at home and smoked 20 fags for the amount of good it did them ;)

Oooh, 1000 posts! Congrats :)

fireman328
03-09-2006, 23:45
Oooh, 1000 posts! Congrats :)

I lost the plot, who has the 1000 posts ?

homealone
03-09-2006, 23:48

TheDaddy :)

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showpost.php?p=34109297&postcount=31

;)

danielf
03-09-2006, 23:50

The Daddy has. Post #31.

arcamalpha2004
06-09-2006, 10:08
If you want to relieve " stress " do the following.
Pack in the habit, this will give you more money, if you have'nt already got a woman it may just help you get one, not smelling of nicotine and the wad of money in your pocket :) , it is well documented that smoking is attributed to impotence, stopping smoking will improve your sex life, plenty of safe sex is great for releasing those " feel good " chemicals and bobs your uncle!;)

orangebird
06-09-2006, 10:20

Give over. My husband says it too - he's 42 and a very good father to three children. Your point is?

arcamalpha2004
06-09-2006, 10:37
Give over. My husband says it too - he's 42 and a very good father to three children. Your point is?

I think what he is saying is that smokers need to remove themselves from the fictional coccoon they are wrapped in, thinking that their habit only affects themselves, that other people are not affected by their actions.
That was his point I think.:)

Chrysalis
06-09-2006, 13:12
Come on we all know one relative who smokes 40 a day, lives to be 90 and never had so much a cough but for everyone of them how many did we know who died of cancer, heart disease ect brought on by the fags, probably a lot more than we knew who died of stress related diseases.

did you know stress makes you more vulnerable to almost any disease? someone who suffers from high levels of stress and anxiety has a weakened immune system and is more likely to suffer heart failure and cancer.

---------- Post added at 13:09 ---------- Previous post was at 13:07 ----------

Except..except...except.

You are ignoring the medical effects of nicotine.

It is reasoned that smoking apparently relieves stress for two reasons:

1 psychological. The stressed person who smokes is giving themselves a moments "break" from the stress, largely by doing something other than what is causing the stress. Namely, finding the packet, lighting up and "enjoying" the first drag. This is made even more relaxing in the work environment where smokers have to go outside / to a special area to smoke. Frankly, non smoking stress sufferers would benefit from the same treatment. Namely walking away form their desk for ten minutes, giving them time to calm down from the stressful situation.

2 It dumps adrenalin into the bodies sysytem, provoking the "fight or flight" reaction and thus appearing more able to cope with the situation.

but..but.. people who are stressed have high blood pressure levels and increased heart rate (which is what brings on potential heart attacks)

Smoking releases nictotine into the bloodstream. Nicotine changes how your brain and your body function. It causes the adrenaline release which further increases blood pressure and heart rate. On top of the effects of stress it is a lethal combination.

So, no, in answer to your original point, there is no time that smoking reduces stress (just the opposite) and can be claimed to be good for you.

D

fair enough on the last point, what about drinking then and smoking stuff like weed?

---------- Post added at 13:12 ---------- Previous post was at 13:09 ----------

Doesnt smoking raise your heart rate? has been tested on babies in the womb ( whilst mother is smoking )

So surely raised heart rate=shorter life?

---------- Post added at 14:57 ---------- Previous post was at 14:55 ----------

Tell that to the friends of a 39 year old guy from around here.
His problems started 4 months ago after his mothers funeral, he was completely misdiagnosed from the start, he's to be buried next week.:(

I hope you wrong about the heart rate, I read somewhere it doesnt apply to humans. My heart rate is usually fast and I dont smoke. But I have a lot of stress.

TheDaddy
06-09-2006, 13:34
I believe you are referring to the in built death clock animals have, where they have a specific number of beats before they die, you are right that does not apply to humans, we are the only 'animals' exempt. Although I don't think that was his point, I believe he is saying if you are permanently putting pressure on your heart eventually it will give up.

Salu
06-09-2006, 15:44
did you know stress makes you more vulnerable to almost any disease? someone who suffers from high levels of stress and anxiety has a weakened immune system and is more likely to suffer heart failure and cancer.

You're right that stress is not good for you and does exacerbate and is responsible for disease processes. What isn't clear is whether you accept that smoking is wildly more damaging.

I hope you wrong about the heart rate, I read somewhere it doesnt apply to humans. My heart rate is usually fast and I dont smoke. But I have a lot of stress.

I believe you are referring to the in built death clock animals have, where they have a specific number of beats before they die, you are right that does not apply to humans, we are the only 'animals' exempt. Although I don't think that was his point, I believe he is saying if you are permanently putting pressure on your heart eventually it will give up.

Just to clarify; increasing your heart rate is not bad for you per se. It depends on ones definition of "pressure". When you exercise, your heart rate increases. When you stand from sitting; the same. The heart is like any muscle, if you don't exercise it it weakens. But it is a very dynamic organ and will vary rom 60 beats per min to 150+ every day.
There are several conditions that make your heart work harder to achieve the same circulation as those without the condition and that is not good for it. But it's not just the rate that's the issue.....That's an over simplistic explaination, its much more complex than that but I don't want you to think that raising your heart rate is bad for you.

Chrysalis
06-09-2006, 16:41
To answer the question do I think smoking is less of a killer then stress? I have no idea its why I started this thread :) I am thinking now that maybe smoking is generally a bigger killer based on some facts presented to me in that it makes your heart having to work harder.