PDA

View Full Version : New BT line

Skweeky
01-09-2006, 00:30
Hi guys. Just moved into a new build in Manchester. Does have BT sockets in property but as no line before BT are looking for £125 connection charge. Can't get cable so not many options. Anyone know any way around this? Need all the money I can get for new flat. Any help appreciated!!!

cnewton2k
01-09-2006, 02:11
Then BT would Charge 75 squid for connect, unless they have increaesd it !!

Paul K
01-09-2006, 06:28
Nope price went up towards the start of the year and there is no way around it I'm afraid unless BT do a free connection offer or something with their BB package.

Neil
01-09-2006, 09:19
Surely if it has BT sockets then a free reconnection would apply?

Hugh
01-09-2006, 09:26
According to the BT Website, you could reconnect for free if there is an existing BT line/wall socket in the property.
http://www.bt.com/reconnect/index.jsp?obsNoSee=Y&vStore=1114&obsPage=/lines/lo_na_home.jsp&obsType=LINK&obsOID=83045

Quote this page to them, to see if they will drop the price.

Neil
01-09-2006, 09:33
To find out if your property has previously had a BT line, look for a white BT phone socket, which you will find on your wall. If you find one, this may give an indication that you can get connected*

* Subject to survey. Please note that some properties may have a white BT socket installed e.g. new property development, this will classify as a new connection and free reconnection will not apply.

zing_deleted
01-09-2006, 09:49
Ouch its bite bullet time or no connection by the sounds of it lol Look for a good deal IE Talktalk and you can in your own mind offset the 150 quid in a years BB saving but note you will be tied up by BT for a 3 month contract. Thats what you get for buying a newly built home im afraid.You could try and wangle a deal with the builders contractors whoever owns the flats as this will apply to everyone there maybe a group deal could be done with BT ? worth a bash

Skweeky
01-09-2006, 18:49
Thanks for all the suggestions. Suppose have to pay it and not go out for a couple of weeks hehe. Cheers!

redforever1
05-03-2009, 09:18
hi guys im in a similar situation moved to a property and got reconnected to bt but changed to talk talk the same week. now bt are charging me for a 12 month contract. nothing was mentioned about a 12 month contract by bt when phoned up,i have not signed anything and they have not had any bank details for direct debits. so how can the contract be legal?. or am i missing something. cheers

southwell
05-03-2009, 09:30
Sky were offering to pay for the line if you signed up to their broadband. ;)

m419
08-03-2009, 17:03
Hi guys. Just moved into a new build in Manchester. Does have BT sockets in property but as no line before BT are looking for £125 connection charge. Can't get cable so not many options. Anyone know any way around this? Need all the money I can get for new flat. Any help appreciated!!!

The only way of getting Cable in a new build is to write to Virgin Media with a small petition of the residents that also want it.

Otherwise its £122 including 15.5% V.A.T to connect a each new line per property. A 12 or 18 month contract will also apply, so if you choose a telephone provider such as TalkTalk which take over all activity of the line including line rental, you will be charged for exiting the contract which means you will be landed with a full years service bill,so if you do get a BT line connected make sure you stay with them or choose a telephone provider that allows you to pay BT for the line rental and telephone call charges to the CPS provider. It will also take up to 4 weeks for Openreach to investigate and install.

CPS providers which allow you to pay BT for line rental and recieve a seperate bill for telephone call charges:

Virgin Media National(Formerly Virgin.net and NTL freedom)
Tiscali Smart Talk (Formerly Mercury/C&W/NTL 131/132 access service
Tesco Homephone
Sky Talk
Orange Homephone (No need for Orange Broadband)

Virgin Media National can offer Unlimited landline calls and Anytime Broadband with unlimited downloads for £19.99 per month, they also through in a freeview box known as 'Free TV'.

BT is also offering combined Telephone,Broadband and BT Vision TV service.

BT Vision is basically Freeview but for £7.99 per month you can get unlimited access to TV on Demand, it contains a lot of content from Music to Drama's to Everyday TV shows,a similar pay-per-view movie service is also being launched on the service. An aerial is required.

Tiscali formerly homechoice also offer Digital TV similar to Virgin Media's L TV package but with full access to TVon demand, a aerial(suitable for recieveing Digital signals) and BT line is required.

Hope that helps!