PDA

View Full Version : One Account - Two Dishes

Spyda
30-08-2006, 23:01
Hi all,

I have a sky account, with 2 sky plus boxes, connected to a quad LNB.
Both boxes are crrently in rooms on the same side of the house. I'd like to move the upstairs box to a bedroom on the other side of the house, it would be easier for me to put another dish up on that side of the house and run the cables in that way, rather than try to route cables all the way across the house. Would this be possible? Or must both boxes be connected to the same LNB?

Thanks in advance,

Spyda

Paul K
30-08-2006, 23:16
I expect they can be on seperate dishes, you pay for two cards so you can use two boxes so why not have each box on a seperate dish?

zing_deleted
30-08-2006, 23:47
the dishes have nothing at all to do with subscription there not tied to any account only the boxes to the cards. Thing is to have 2 I think you need planning permission but not sure

Paul K
31-08-2006, 00:10
In some areas yes as you are only allowed to erect one dish of a certain size without permission.

Spyda
31-08-2006, 11:37
Sounds like you've confirmed what I though was the case.

Am I also right in thinking that you only need to have your boxes connected to the phone line whist you're inside the 12 month agreement? Or do they have to be connected at all times?

Thanks again,

Spyda

Graham M
31-08-2006, 11:46
If you want further updates, they need to be connected always, but if you're not bothered, outside of the 12 month contract you can do what you like with em, use em as paperweights if you want :)

Spyda
31-08-2006, 12:24
use em as paperweights if you want :)

How did you know my plans? ;)

Seriously though, thanks for your help :)

Adam.

iain_herts
31-08-2006, 14:29
hi from the sounds of it u have 2 sky plus box's which means as u have multi room BOTH box's must me connected to the same phone line.

also if u dish is at the front of the house and u wish to put a dish at the back of the house u will need some extra parts as the dish will have to face the same way as ur other dish is u will either need a T&K bracket/S-Pole or a swain neck (this is so the dish will be above the roof)

a easy way would be to get a octo lnb (8 outputs) and run a cable over the roof

Spyda
31-08-2006, 18:26
hi from the sounds of it u have 2 sky plus box's which means as u have multi room BOTH box's must me connected to the same phone line.

Okies,
sorry if I'm being think, but they MUST be connected to the same phone line even if they're out of contract?

also if u dish is at the front of the house and u wish to put a dish at the back of the house u will need some extra parts as the dish will have to face the same way as ur other dish is u will either need a T&K bracket/S-Pole or a swain neck (this is so the dish will be above the roof)

a easy way would be to get a octo lnb (8 outputs) and run a cable over the roof

You haven't seen the size of my roof!
I think the shape of the house will lend itself to both dishes pointing the same way, kind of a horseshoe shape from above. Hence not wanting to run cables!

Spyda

iain_herts
31-08-2006, 18:29
Okies,
sorry if I'm being think, but they MUST be connected to the same phone line even if they're out of contract?

You haven't seen the size of my roof!
I think the shape of the house will lend itself to both dishes pointing the same way, kind of a horseshoe shape from above. Hence not wanting to run cables!

Spyda

HI yes if u have multi room it is part of the T&C'S that both box's must be connected to the fone line even after the 12 month period or you will be charge the full amount for a second subscription.

u will now find u can have upto 2 dish's on 1 house as long as the total size doesnt exceed more than 1 metre

Spyda
31-08-2006, 18:41
Brilliant.
It's so good getting these kind of answers so readily available! Thankyou very much for your time. :)

Just out of interest then, do the boxes dial back to sky to confirm they're on the same line then?
(Would it cause a problem if my number is premanetly with-held?)

Cheers again!

Spyda

iain_herts
31-08-2006, 20:00
yes each month both box's will call back to sky wen they were installed if ur number is withheld then the installer should of put 1470 in the dialing prefix in the installer menu

Spyda
31-08-2006, 21:29
I see! :)

So if I get my phone number with-held from now on will I need to call an engineer out? Or is this something I could update myself?

Cheers

Spyda

iain_herts
31-08-2006, 21:35
its something you can do ur self from the installer menu all u do is press

service's 4 0 1

then dialing prefix then add 1470

Spyda
31-08-2006, 21:49
You've been a wealth of knowledge.
Thanks very much for your input.

Spyda