PDA

View Full Version : Advice about slow speeds

murfitUK
29-08-2006, 19:28
On the 4meg service with a cable modem and I have a wireless network.

After about 5pm the whole internet becomes unusable with slow speeds and pages not loading. It took over 3 minutes for this "Post New Thread" page to appear and I'll keep my fingers crossed that I'll be able to post.

I have adjusted my sleep pattern and now tend to use the internet between 1am and 6am and then have a few hours in bed!

Have done Dan Elwell's speed test and get download speeds about a quarter of what it should, upload speeds barely register, ping times seem to be minutes rather than ms! and packet loss anywhere upto 50%.

Problem is if I phone ntl they will expect a computer connected directly to the modem. I am not lugging my computer and monitor and everything downstairs just to connect it up for a few minutes.

I have a laptop which I could use but it runs on linux and ntl say they don't support linux so I'm stuffed there.

If I use the laptop can I lie and tell them it is Windows? Will they know the difference.

zing_deleted
29-08-2006, 19:31
Have you tried changing your proxy? tools internet options connections lan settings.tick use a proxy and put one of these (http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?a=10)in the address with port 8080 ok then ok then try

maverick
29-08-2006, 19:53
Is your wireless network secured?

Carth
29-08-2006, 19:57
Is your wireless network secured?

classic symptoms :tu: well worth checking that little beauty ;)

murfitUK
29-08-2006, 23:18
Wireless network is secured and there are no viruses or spyware or anything else on the computer or laptop.

I can and do change proxies regularly to try to get a decent service but it might be great for a day or two and then goes rubbish again - I think lots of other people are changing around!

Deadude
30-08-2006, 01:14
well if its only ccertain times it has nothing to do with the wireless unless someone decided to steal ur mac adress or however wireless networks work these days but id just say to NTL your pc is directly hooked up and see what they say :) make sure u mention to them about it only being a certain times...

pabby2k
30-08-2006, 11:09
If your very sure its not your router then don't move the machine and just tell them its connected directly. It doesn't make a difference anyway. However I would try a direct connection just to make sure before you call.

zing_deleted
30-08-2006, 11:15
if you are connecting wirelessly and theres others in your area you could try changing the broadcast channel on the router you never know there could be a conflict

popper
30-08-2006, 12:25
Have done Dan Elwell's speed test and get download speeds about a quarter of what it should

its werth checking to see that you are actually connecting to your 4mbit wireless and not someone elses, after all its possible that its connecting to someone near you that only has 1mbit,pull the power on your router/ap.

also , its only a few quid to get a very long rj45 cable, that could go all the way downstairs with ease.

murfitUK
30-08-2006, 12:36
Definitely connected to my network and not someone else's and I've gone through all the usual like changing the channel.

This is a speed test I did last night.

http://www.murfituk.com/pics/st0608292337.html

I'll give ntl a ring this afternoon and try and persuade them its not my computer or system at fault. I just know they won't accept the fault lies at their end, but I'll give it a go anyway.

maverick
30-08-2006, 13:14
Have you actually tried your connection directly without the router?

Are you picking up any other wireless networks?

If your sure your pc and router are fine and the problem only occurs after 5pm,contact ntl at this time so tech support can run a test with the the problem happening.

scoobydoo[uk]
30-08-2006, 17:27
Think theres a problem in Stoke on Trent, spoke to a few people, and we are all getting bad speeds after 5pm, my downloads drop to below 200k/sec on my 10mb line, seems like traffic shaping to me, as between midnight to 5pm speeds are fine, come 5pm and it slows to a halt.

Report the problem, the more people that report it hopefully someone will look into the problem.

murfitUK
30-08-2006, 19:17
Did phone the 0845 number but they said the only way they will deal with a fault report is if I go through another number first. Apparently it costs about £1.00 a minute but I "have" to do it to make sure it's not my computer.

They say there are no problems in Stoke whatsoever and nobody has phoned to report anything at all so it can't possibly be them at fault.

I didn't bother writing the number down but I think it started 0871?? or was it 0781?? or something. Anyway, I've no intention of phoning it.

Will be phoning BT tomorrow to get my old phone line reinstated and then try their broadband again. I used to have BT broadband so maybe its time to get it back again.