PDA

View Full Version : Mediums / Psychics

Pia
23-08-2006, 22:32
I'm going to see a Medium tomorrow, I've never really believed in all that, but i do try and stay open minded about it.

Has anyone else had experiences with these?

I have no idea what to expect tomorrow night, but she's not gonna tell me i'm going to live a sad life and everyone i love is gonna die, is she??:disturbd:
Cos i don't wanna go if she's gonna tell me a load of stuff that's gonna depress me lol.:p:

timewarrior2001
23-08-2006, 23:25
I'm going to see a Medium tomorrow, I've never really believed in all that, but i do try and stay open minded about it.

I have no idea what to expect tomorrow night, but she's not gonna tell me i'm going to live a sad life and everyone i love is gonna die, is she??:disturbd:
Cos i don't wanna go if she's gonna tell me a load of stuff that's gonna depress me lol.:p:

They usually ask if you want to venture to the spirit world or prefer tarot cards and such like. Spirit world is good, and very interesting well it was for me, and it was Sooooooooooooo close to what I knew as facty he could not have guessed it. (such as my cousin that died of cancer being buried with a braclet on that contained my picture....he even described the bracelet and mentioned it was after a landmark birthday (her 21st).

Or they will be so vague you will know they are faking it.

some will aks if you want to know anything bad, others will just avoid it.
Theu dont predict deaths etc, they concentrate on your loved ones and in the spirit world the loved ones trying to contact you.

Jon M
23-08-2006, 23:35
Depends on your point of view but there are only two positions you can logically take:

a) if it's a load of bunk then it's a waste of time or harmless depending on how bored you are at that particular moment.

b) If however it's got anything remotely connected with spirits, literally, I'd be irresponsible not to warn against it.

Of what I've experienced first hand (and I'm fundamentally not charasmatic in the sense of being into New Age spiritism), I'd say obviously I can't prove scientifically one way or the other, but I have seen many people seriously damaged by some kinds of spirit based experimentation.

ikthius
23-08-2006, 23:52
sounds fun pia, i would love to do that.

the only problem is how good they are.
some are so vague they are wrong, some ask you questions to give you a reading, some just try and hit somewhere close to see your reaction, keep everything as close to your chest as possible.

see how good they are, but treat it as fun first and formost.

ik

Pia
24-08-2006, 00:09
I'm not going to take it too seriously, but i'm looking forward to see what she's going to say about me. My friends have apparently seen her a couple of times and they said she seems good, so i guess i'll find out tomorrow.

I'll let you know how it goes:D

AndrewJ
24-08-2006, 00:11
I will look forward to it Pia, always wanted to meet someone like that myself.

little monster
24-08-2006, 03:13
"cold reading", anyone?:angel:

lauzjp
24-08-2006, 06:53
I have had one of those mini kits of tarot cards sat on a shelf for a couple of years - Anton and I opened them and did a couple of readings on each other, and lo and behold... his mum is psychic and he is a little bit, as am I - I just seem to 'know' things, I can't help it. His mum gets messages and is way more into it though. I am starting to read up about witchcraft again so I can try and protect myself from all the scaryness around us... :group: I would like to have a proper reading done or something, I'm not as scared of it as I was. Like Pia, I didn't want to hear any bad stuff! But it's what you make of what you are told - it's meant to be a guide, not gospel innit.

homer
24-08-2006, 08:23
Hi,
I went to see a medium last year only has a dare from a friend that has been before I told her that it was a load of rubbish and when you dead your dead.
(cocky git ).
Well I went to see this person (medium) and he started off telling me that somone was with me when I walked in the room (yea right) Then he started telling me about the person and what her name was I soon wasnt cocky no more (it was my nan)
He carried on saying was she was saying about my honeymoon and me moving house and some personal stuff........When it was over I left and to this day I am still shocked on what I heard so there you go.............

Homer

Russ
24-08-2006, 09:48
Pia, it's up to you of course but I'd steer well clear of anything like this. On my old radio show we had Britain's number 1 psychic on the show and I suppose the entertainment factor was impressive but it got to the point where people were basing decisions on relationships etc on what she said - and she was not always right. I have my own views on "psychic ability" and although I don't doubt some people have a 'gift', I strongly distrust the sources of the 'information'.

If you believe in it then that's up to you - good luck to you. But if you're asking for opinions (and by starting this thread I think you are!) I'd say avoid at all costs. Which I think means you're going to do it anyway!

Stuart
24-08-2006, 10:21
I have to admit, I am not sure.. Depends on the psychic, It may be that he or she just says a load of generic things that you believe apply to you, or it may be they are accurate..

I've met a couple of people who could be said to be psychic (I have no proof of wether they were or not). One walked up to me in the street and gave a frighteningly accurate (and very specific) description of my character. The other walked up to me in the pub and asked "Are you Stuart?", and when I replied, he just walked off. Bear in mind that I had never seen either of these people in my life.

TheNorm
24-08-2006, 10:24
I was once a medium.

Now I'm a large, heading for extra-large if I don't ease off the beers.

Condoleezza
24-08-2006, 10:27
I was once a medium.

Now I'm a large, heading for extra-large if I don't ease off the beers.
So, you are a Psychic too!

(since you can predict that you are heading for extra-large);)

Russ
24-08-2006, 10:41
IOne walked up to me in the street and gave a frighteningly accurate (and very specific) description of my character.

I remember magician Derren Brown did a trick like that - he gave 6 people a written description of their character (each one covered 2 pages) and they were all completely shocked at how accurate the reports were. Derren then asked them to mix up all reports then chose one...and when they did, they all thought by an amazing co-incidence, they'd taken their own reports back. Only...that wasn't the case at all. He'd given each of the 6 subjects exactly the same reports

zing_deleted
24-08-2006, 12:02
Its spirit ism decidedly bad

Pia
25-08-2006, 22:59
Well i saw this woman last night. It was a good laugh, but to be honest i'm not convinced.
The main thing i noticed, is a lot of the things she was saying could happen, or have happened, were quite generalised, and i think if you are looking for it to be true then chances are, you can make it connect to you.
She gave a very accurate description of my character, but i don't think that would make her psychic, some people are just good at judging.

She said she doesn't see me having another baby anytime soon, i was kinda hoping she'd say i was though because she said that to my friend and she was pregnant 6 months later:D
She did say i'd meet someone around christmas time and i'll be given a bunch of red roses on the first date. :shrug: Who cares really if that's true or not, that'll likely happen at some point in my life anyway.

A few things she was saying to the others were a bit spooky though, like about their dead close relatives, she described them accurately and passed on messages. There's no way she could have known that.

Still, it's only a bit of fun, and it was certainly interesting, if anything.:)

If you believe in it then that's up to you - good luck to you. But if you're asking for opinions (and by starting this thread I think you are!) I'd say avoid at all costs. Which I think means you're going to do it anyway!
But i said i was going to go anyway, all i asked was what people thought about them, i never asked if i should go or not;)
And i didn't say i believed it either, i think i said i was open minded.

Russ
25-08-2006, 23:04
I consider myself told off :(

bjorkiii
26-08-2006, 00:05
Gypsys in the town center swearin at ya because you wont buy any lucky heather :mad:.

danielf
26-08-2006, 00:26
Gypsys in the town center swearin at ya because you wont buy any lucky heather :mad:.

eh?

Ramrod
26-08-2006, 00:31
I was once read my future as a child......it came true :erm:
I'm serious.....she foretold me as a 'doctor' in a 'white coat' and foretold that I would have a farm.....you have to admit that those two things coming to pass are a bit remote :disturbd:

In spite of that I think that mediums are bogus but I can't explain how that one foretold what would happen to me......

Mal
26-08-2006, 00:34
I'm serious.....she foretold me as a 'doctor' in a 'white coat' and foretold that I would have a farm.....you have to admit that those two things coming to pass are a bit remote :disturbd:

In spite of that I think that mediums are bogus but I can't explain how that one foretold what would happen to me......
You're a farmer as well? :)

Nugget
26-08-2006, 00:34

Be honest Rammy - when you say 'child', you mean you were 27, don't you ;)

danielf
26-08-2006, 00:37

Perhaps its an indication of how wide the net is cast (prediction wise)?

dilli-theclaw
26-08-2006, 00:40

In spite of that I think that mediums are bogus but I can't explain how that one foretold what would happen to me......MMMmmm but did she predict your 'chicken antics?'

Seriously tho... I am of the opinion that most if not all of these perople are evil. but that's just my opinion mind.

Ramrod
26-08-2006, 00:43
You're a farmer as well? :)No.....I merely have a farm. I can't farm it because anything I buy for it would be stolen :(

---------- Post added at 23:42 ---------- Previous post was at 23:42 ----------

Be honest Rammy - when you say 'child', you mean you were 27, don't you ;)
I was about 9 yo
---------- Post added at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was at 23:42 ----------

Perhaps its an indication of how wide the net is cast (prediction wise)?Nope.....she was very specific....:disturbd:

Russ
26-08-2006, 00:44
Notice they're never specific enough to tell you who'll win next year's Grand National :D

Mal
26-08-2006, 00:44
Perhaps its an indication of how wide the net is cast (prediction wise)?Nope.....she was very specific....:disturbd:Perhaps that put you on the path that you are on now...

dilli-theclaw
26-08-2006, 00:45
Notice they're never specific enough to tell you who'll win next year's Grand National :DCome now - thats' 'cos they're keeping THAT little gem to themselves ;) :)

Russ
26-08-2006, 00:46
Come now - that' 'cos they're keeping THAT little gem to themselves ;) :)

Yeah! So they'll win enough money to never have to tell fortunes for a living again!

Ramrod
26-08-2006, 00:46
MMMmmm but did she predict your 'chicken antics?'You say that like 'boning a chicken' is a bad thing :D

dilli-theclaw
26-08-2006, 00:47
MMMmmm but did she predict your 'chicken antics?'You say that like 'boning a chicken' is a bad thing :DJust you be glad that a quick search through my mp3 files didn't turn up the evidence ;) :D

carlingman
26-08-2006, 00:49
snip She did say i'd meet someone around christmas time and i'll be given a bunch of red roses on the first date. :shrug:

Guess I will see you Xmas time then and how many red roses would you like.

:D

danielf
26-08-2006, 00:50
Nope.....she was very specific....:disturbd:

In hindsight, presumably...

Ramrod
Perhaps that put you on the path that you are on now...I didn't buy the farm.....It came as an inheritance out of the blue..........and as for the 'doctor' thing.....I didn't study as a GP but I still wear a white coat and can call myself 'Dr'.....and I didn't know that I would/could do that before I did my degree........

Pia
snip She did say i'd meet someone around christmas time and i'll be given a bunch of red roses on the first date. :shrug:

Guess I will see you Xmas time then and how many red roses would you like.

LOL, 21 would be nice;)

Ramrod
26-08-2006, 00:52
In hindsight, presumably...Thats all she said about me........my mum was having her future read and I was briefly read as an aside....so no, not hindsight.....I remember it because even then it struck me as something that my mum would like to hear about her son (and thought 'thats a load of bull'.).....it's only now that I think back and wonder......

Macca371
26-08-2006, 01:04
I once went, a guy behind me in the audience said that he had received a message from my grandad (who was actually dead) and apparently he had told me not to worry about my exams. I was startled - he had died recently, and I was worried about my exams. However, when I thought about it further, I realised that me and my friend had been discussing my grandad throughout the whole session (and the guy was well within earshot), wondering if he would be mentioned, and that I seemed at the right age to be taking exams. I am now of the opinion that mediums are either mentally ill or they are just sick, for abusing people's insecurity/curiosities, for money or whatever. I don't believe in it at all. However, this is just my belief - believe as you will. We still go every now and then for a laugh, and we take everything with a HUGE pinch of salt.

carlingman
26-08-2006, 01:18
LOL, 21 would be nice;)

:bigcry: oouch put the boot in why don't you, at 35 I am now hurt.

Chris
26-08-2006, 19:57
I once went, a guy behind me in the audience said that he had received a message from my grandad (who was actually dead) and apparently he had told me not to worry about my exams. I was startled - he had died recently, and I was worried about my exams. However, when I thought about it further, I realised that me and my friend had been discussing my grandad throughout the whole session (and the guy was well within earshot), wondering if he would be mentioned, and that I seemed at the right age to be taking exams. I am now of the opinion that mediums are either mentally ill or they are just sick, for abusing people's insecurity/curiosities, for money or whatever. I don't believe in it at all. However, this is just my belief - believe as you will. We still go every now and then for a laugh, and we take everything with a HUGE pinch of salt.

If you believe mediums are mentally ill but you go along anyway ... what does that say about you? :erm:

Ramrod
26-08-2006, 22:21
If you believe mediums are mentally ill but you go along anyway ... what does that say about you? :erm:'Mental disability as a spectator sport'? :disturbd:

Macca371
26-08-2006, 22:40
If you believe mediums are mentally ill but you go along anyway ... what does that say about you? :erm:
I don't know? I don't go to specifically make fun of them, some of my friends believe and I go with them. But I do find it quite funny when they are giving the vaguest descriptions and they still get it entirely wrong.

iSteve
27-08-2006, 21:48
I've always been interested in 'the unknown', so much so I decided to take a look at some studies that have been done on this. I thought the results might interest some of you:

There is some good scientific evidence to demonstrate that 'something' is going on. The Koestler lab up at Edinburgh University has done some 'remote viewing' experiments. These are highly scientificly controlled experiments, peer reviewed. I don't recall the exact percentages, but they found they were getting something like a 33% 'hit' rate whereas a 20% one would have been expected by chance alone. This is after thousands of sessions. This is highly significant from a statistical point of view. Similar results have been recorded by universities and labs worldwide. Collectively, the results from a statistic point of view, unambiguously rule out chance.

It is worth noting too that the US Government had a 20-year long involvement in studying this 'remote viewing' phenomenon (after finding out the Russians were heavily involved in it), but it was ultimately closed down due to political pressure once the program was revealed (general press mocking, religious zealotry, indignant congressman, etc), on the grounds that although there was a 'statistically significant effect occuring', the results were 'not reliable enough' - they'd get great results half the time and unhelpful results the rest, without knowing which it is until other sources of information came through to confirm/deny it.

Since they had other sources that were more reliable, and it was very embarassing to the CIA to have this involvement made public, it was closed.

I will leave it at that but if anyone wants more information on the testing methods etc or links etc I'd be happy to provide this.

Russ
27-08-2006, 23:23
I'm convinced there is 'something' - I've personally witnessed too much for me to entertain the notion that they're all just clever, manipulating individuals. But I refuse to believe that the entities they get their information from are who they claim to be.

Flobajob
27-08-2006, 23:29
I'm convinced there is 'something' - I've personally witnessed too much for me to entertain the notion that they're all just clever, manipulating individuals. But I refuse to believe that the entities they get their information from are who they claim to be.

Let me guess, they get it all from spooky demons and the devil himself?

Russ
27-08-2006, 23:40
Let me guess, they get it all from spooky demons and the devil himself?

I wouldn't put it as crudely as that but yes, you're in the right direction.

dilli-theclaw
27-08-2006, 23:48
I wonder if that would make the people (as I beleive) AND the entities evil? Maybe the people that do it are misguided BY said entities I mean.

Myself I just think it's the poeple.

edit - that was a question for Russ - Yup - badly (as in not!) quoted...

Macca371
27-08-2006, 23:51
What I can never understand is how the mediums and psychics discuss really trivial things like 'you recently decorated the house, haven't you? Oh well Margaret loves it!'. If I were on a new spiritual plain I'd talk about more important stuff!

Flobajob
27-08-2006, 23:52
Not sure I can see where I claim you have an agenda - I only hint at it :D

Oooooo the bitterness is strong in that one! Any chance we can get this back on topic now?

You only had to look at your previous post.

Stuart
27-08-2006, 23:52
'Mental disability as a spectator sport'? :disturbd:

What do you think Big Brother is?

Actually, it's entirely possible they are right, but dismissed as mentally ill because we don't understand them..

Assuming they are talking to the spirits of the dead, well, you get good and bad living people. It's reasonable to assume that a bad person who dies will become a bad spirit (assuming you believe in spirits). Just because someone dies, they don't automatically become good people.

Russ
27-08-2006, 23:57
Assuming they are talking to the spirits of the dead, well, you get good and bad living people. It's reasonable to assume that a bad person who dies will become a bad spirit (assuming you believe in spirits). Just because someone dies, they don't automatically become good people.

I don't believe there are any 'good' spirts like that. My beliefs state that when someone dies they go somewhere which cannot be contacted in this material plane. So as the flobster mentioned earlier - I believe those who the mediums 'speak' to are not Godly or even "ex-humans" but tools of satan.

Flobajob
28-08-2006, 00:00
I don't believe there are any 'good' spirts like that. My beliefs state that when someone dies they go somewhere which cannot be contacted in this material plane. So as the flobster mentioned earlier - I believe those who the mediums 'speak' to are not Godly or even "ex-humans" but tools of satan.

Imagine that, all them "tools of satan" who have alledgedly helped people find their car key's or missing family heirlooms or whatever over the years were actually evil!

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2006/08/2.jpg

Russ
28-08-2006, 00:02
Imagine that, all them "tools of satan" who have alledgedly helped people find their car key's or missing family heirlooms or whatever over the years were actually evil!

Yeah I do - and if was the right place do so I'd explain why as well, albeit a little more respectfully towards those who don't share my views.

Macca371
28-08-2006, 00:03

Oddly, the one I go to is a Christian spiritualist church. They sing a few psalms before they start the readings. But when I read the OT it was clear about spiritual readings being satan etc...

Chris
28-08-2006, 00:04

Well think about it ... if the purpose of Satan is to draw people away from God, he's not exactly going to do very well at it by turning up with horns and a pitchfork and scaring the cr@p out of people. If you want to sign people up to your agenda, you do it by being nice to them.

If the spirits contacted by mediums are agents of the devil, then I would expect them to want to convince people they're alright by being nice and helpful. At first, anyway.

Russ
28-08-2006, 00:05
Well think about it ... if the purpose of Satan is to draw people away from God, he's not exactly going to do very well at it by turning up with horns and a pitchfork and scaring the cr@p out of people. If you want to sign people up to your agenda, you do it by being nice to them.

If the spirits contacted by mediums are agents of the devil, then I would expect them to want to convince people they're alright by being nice and helpful. At first, anyway.

:tu:

dilli-theclaw
28-08-2006, 00:06
In that case I'd like to hope that it's only the weak minded that get taken in by this kind of thing. But I don't think it is.

Russ
28-08-2006, 00:08
In that case I'd like to hope that it's only the weak minded that get taken in by this kind of thing. But I don't think it is.

I'd agree - when Diane Lazarus comes on the show we get a good mix of people contacting us including some afluent-sounding, well-educated types.

Chris
28-08-2006, 00:13
Can we all please stop arguing about each others' posts and stick to arguing about the topic.

dilli-theclaw
28-08-2006, 00:18
I'd agree - when Diane Lazarus comes on the show we get a good mix of people contacting us including some afluent-sounding, well-educated types.MMMmmm the only direct experience I'd have had with these type of people is Derek Acorah (Before he did most haunted etc)... And that was only 'cos my missus wanted to go. That 'show' even had people being asked to leave if the didn't 'believe' as it would 'affect the readings'.

I'm not even sure if he actuall beleives he's talking to 'sam' or not, anyway - I think there 'may' be something in it but MOST mediums/psychics are just in it for the money and if there IS some that really are in contact with whatever then I think it's best to avoid them/it at all costs.

Whatever I believe in (satan or devils - demons) or even if they are just predicting/contact with dead people I don't think it's wise for me to be able to contact them.

Anwyay - just my opinion.

Russ
28-08-2006, 00:20
MMMmmm the only direct experience I'd have had with these type of people is Derek Acorah (Before he did most haunted etc)... And that was only 'cos my missus wanted to go. That 'show' even had people being asked to leave if the didn't 'believe' as it would 'affect the readings'.

I went to a few of her shows and it was never like that, mind you if people didn't believe then I don't see why they would pay X amount for a ticket. But some of the things she came out with convinced me she is in contact with someone. Some people would querie if the people in the audience (or those who phoned up if it was on the show) were planted - as someone who was involved with the set-up of either show I can confirm they were not.

Flobajob
28-08-2006, 00:21
I never liked Derek Acorah and had a chuckle when the Daily Mirror published this: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/tm_objectid=16303507&method=full&siteid=94762&headline=spooky-truth--tv-s-most-haunted-con-exposed-tv--name_page.html

Stuart
28-08-2006, 00:30

A bit like politicians.. When they want your vote, they are friendly (visiting voters, kissing babies etc) and helpful. When they don't need votes, they disappear.

dilli-theclaw
28-08-2006, 00:32
I went to a few of her shows and it was never like that, mind you if people didn't believe then I don't see why they would pay X amount for a ticket. But some of the things she came out with convinced me she is in contact with someone. Some people would querie if the people in the audience (or those who phoned up if it was on the show) were planted - as someone who was involved with the set-up of either show I can confirm they were not.Maybe I just had a bad experience with his show then - anyway it left me with a 'bad taste' and a bad feeling so I don't plan to go to any more.

Russ
28-08-2006, 00:34
Maybe I just had a bad experience with his show then - anyway it left me with a 'bad taste' and a bad feeling so I don't plan to go to any more.

If you want a real laugh I'd suggest a trip over to James Randi's website and have a look on his discussion forums. Obviously there are zealots on all sides but the rabid views of those who don't believe in any kind of paranormal existence can be quite amusing at times. Just do a search for Acora (or even Diane Lazarus ;)) to see how intolerant these 'free thinkers' can be.

http://forums.randi.org/forumindex.php

dilli-theclaw
28-08-2006, 00:38
If you want a real laugh I'd suggest a trip over to James Randi's website and have a look on his discussion forums. Obviously there are zealots on all sides but the rabid views of those who don't believe in any kind of paranormal existence can be quite amusing at times. Just do a search for Acora (or even Diane Lazarus ;)) to see how intolerant these 'free thinkers' can be.

http://forums.randi.org/forumindex.phpI will - and thanks for that.:tu:

Angua
28-08-2006, 10:57
Until you life feels more settled Psychics are a way of making sense of things and often work in a similar fashion to councillors and (using the current buzz phrase) help you produce a road-map for your current situation.

Having attended a Spiritualist Church ceremony I can assure those who believe they are Devil worshippers that the opposite is the case. Those I met had a deeply held Christian belief, prayers were said and hymns sung.

spiderplant
28-08-2006, 11:10
the more i think it is a load of cock and bull.:(

That about sums it up.

Many years ago I was persuaded by some friends to visit a psychic. Initially I was reluctant because I'd never believed in that sort of thing. Anyway, in the end I decided to go in the interests of scientific research.

To my surprise, I came out of the session very impressed. In the same way as I might come out of a magician's performance impressed. I believe she was a great performer - getting snippets of info out of me about my life, then turning them into predictions and "messages from the dead".

17 years later only one of her predictions has come true.

Cock and bull.

Jules
28-08-2006, 12:23
I believe in them but sadly there are a lot of fakes out there :(

Chris
28-08-2006, 18:29
This thread has gone a long way from where Pia intended it to be. It has been closed, extensively pruned, and re-opened. Please bear in mind the OP when making any further contributions to this thread: