PDA

View Full Version : Swollen Glands question

Russ
28-08-2006, 10:23
Since saturday I've developed a swollen gland on the left side of my neck just behind my jaw and it's really painful - does anyone know how long this normally lasts for and any treatments for it?

Chris W
28-08-2006, 10:37
It is normally because your body is fighting an infection....

Have you got any infections or antibiotics?

Russ
28-08-2006, 10:39
As far as I'm aware I don't have any infections - and I haven't taken antibiotics in ages :shrug:

I don't feel run down or unwell in any way either.

Jules
28-08-2006, 10:46
It is the bodies way of fighting infection, drink plenty of fluids and take paracetamol to help ease the pain if you need to it should get better in a few days if not you may need antibiotics.

Oh and by the way have you had mumps?

Russ
28-08-2006, 10:46
Not sure, I can't remember :shrug:

Jules
28-08-2006, 11:08
Best ask your mum then Russ :)

byron_hinson
28-08-2006, 11:10
I've suffered with swollen glands since I was about 5. They are to fight infections, just because you don't know you have an infection, doesn't mean one isn't there. It could be the start of a cold, flu, virus anything. I usually go to the doctors 3 or 4 days after it starts if it hasn't started to go down. But most of the time I just live with it.

Kliro
28-08-2006, 16:12
Sure its a swollen gland? Could it be a cyst?

Stephen Byers
28-08-2006, 16:19
Sure its a swollen gland? Could it be a cyst?

keratocyst maybe? (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=PubMed&cmd=Retrieve&list_uids=10890722&dopt=Citation)

Ramrod
28-08-2006, 16:29
Any other symptoms Russ? Feeling well otherwise?

Sounds like its your parotid gland (purely from the location you seem to be describing) but the question is what is causing it......

greencreeper
28-08-2006, 16:38
Exactly, Rammy. Normally something obvious causes it. Obvious is good. Unobvious is bad - means something unknown is lurking. All that said, I had a bit of funny turn with a duck springroll from M&S - neck went all puffy and my head was banging. Any bites, Russ?

Pia
28-08-2006, 16:51
Maybe's it's glandular fever, you been snogging that mirror again? ;)

Hugh
28-08-2006, 17:16

How would he get "tongues", then? :p:

hatedbythemail
28-08-2006, 18:16
does anyone know how long this normally lasts for and any treatments for it?a doctor? ;-)

TheBlueRaja
28-08-2006, 18:24

Im just finishing 3 weeks off work for that, go back tomorrow - nasty.

superbiatch
28-08-2006, 19:31
Tonsillitis possibly? I usually start out with sore and swollen glands before the onset of tonsillitis - had a week of work a few weeks back with it :(

Easyjet
28-08-2006, 22:46
First thing to do with swollen glands is gargle with salt water twice a day. Try and drink plenty of water. If it is not better within five days go to your doctor. Don't worry it is a sign your glands are doing their job. Have a teaspoon of honey as well. Hope your better soon.

homealone
28-08-2006, 23:14
First thing to do with swollen glands is gargle with salt water twice a day. Try and drink plenty of water. If it is not better within five days go to your doctor. Don't worry it is a sign your glands are doing their job. Have a teaspoon of honey as well. Hope your better soon.

:welcome:

- locally sourced honey does best to alleviate local pollen allergy, but soothes a sore throat, too ;)

- a 'medicinal' brandy won't do any harm, either ;)

- in my opinion, of course ;)

Salu
29-08-2006, 12:15
There are a number of things it could be depending on it's exact location and what other symptoms you have (some you may not be aware of). Treatments can range from swilling lemon juice around your mouth to lancing...but the first thing to do is to get a diagnosis. A trip to your GP or GDP (dentist) would be the first thing I'd suggest.

Hugh
29-08-2006, 12:24
Trust him, he's a doctor! :angel:

Now if you will just loosen your clothing and lie down, the diagnosis will begin ;) . This may tingle a little.

Russ
29-08-2006, 13:58
There are a number of things it could be depending on it's exact location and what other symptoms you have (some you may not be aware of). Treatments can range from swilling lemon juice around your mouth to lancing...but the first thing to do is to get a diagnosis. A trip to your GP or GDP (dentist) would be the first thing I'd suggest.

Cheers to everyone for the suggestions - I was waiting for CF's doc to open his surgery :D

The gland seems to have gone down a little now so maybe tomorrow I can finally shave - 4 day's stubble with a bald head makes it look like my head is on upside down :spin:

Nugget
29-08-2006, 13:59
Cheers to everyone for the suggestions - I was waiting for CF's doc to open his surgery :D

The gland seems to have gone down a little now so maybe tomorrow I can finally shave - 4 day's stubble with a bald head makes it look like my head is on upside down :spin:

Trust me, it's not the stubble that makes you look like that :PP:

Jules
29-08-2006, 14:01
Trust me, it's not the stubble that makes you look like that :PP:

I now have bits of cream cracker all over my monitor screen, thanks for that Nug :rofl:

slowcoach
30-08-2006, 15:22
When I was a kid I was always getting swollen glands then one year I got the mumps real bad, after that no more swollen glands. Mumps is the cure ;)

Hugh
30-08-2006, 16:26
When I was a kid I was always getting swollen glands then one year I got the mumps real bad, after that no more swollen glands. Mumps is the cure ;)

Not to be recommended as a "cure" once Mr Puberty has been to visit - I had mumps in my 30's, and my neck glands weren't the only thing swollen (everything went back to normal, thanks; didn't have to take up a job as a cowboy).

Maggy
30-08-2006, 17:49
Not to be recommended as a "cure" once Mr Puberty has been to visit - I had mumps in my 30's, and my neck glands weren't the only thing swollen (everything went back to normal, thanks; didn't have to take up a job as a cowboy).

Mumps in your thirties isn't to be recommended for either sex..I was VERY ill.My husband got sent home by the Navy MO 'in case' but wasn't sick at all..:mad: