PDA

View Full Version : Broadband: Webstar

AntonTav
28-08-2006, 00:23
Hi guys i'm a new member and in need of help. I have

Telewest Broadband, Webstar
Scientific Atlanta
EPC21000 series cable modem

well my problem is i dont really, know how to turn of DHCP and turn on static IP or just simply change my IP, to be honest i'm not to worried whether it is DHCP or static as long as it has changed.

I'm am sorry if someone else has posted this thread, but i am almost desperate and i have my sistser shouting at me for not getting it done :(

Well thank you for any help you can offer.

Stuart
28-08-2006, 03:33
AntonTay, :welcome: to cableforum.
Telewest don't offer static IPs to residential customers .

Why do you need to change the IP?

AntonTav
28-08-2006, 13:19
Well my sister recently discovered she was being hacked, to be sure she had a friend check the computer over and her agreed that somebody was hacking her. He believed it was the IP address being used.
I have tried the following to change.

'cmd'
'ipconfig /release'
'ipconfig /renew'

I turned the modem off and unplugged it for 5 minutes
I turned the modem off and unplugged it for 12 hours

and nothing worked.

djnerve
28-08-2006, 17:25
all you can do is reset the modem and then leave it switched off for a while, mine doesnt always do it but it does work. also think about a firewall.

AntonTav
28-08-2006, 19:05
Reset, is that just unplugging the modem or do you have to do something first?
also on a slightly different but related topic my cousin asked me a question that you guys might be able to help with.
Like me she is on telewest the same modem and everything (we got at the same time) only she has a belkin 54g router. Apparantly she got banned from a forum and she needs to change her IP but doesnt know how. So could anyone help me and her with that.

Questions.

1) Reset, is that just unplugging the modem or do you have to do something first?

2) how do you change the ip of a belkin 54g router ?

SnoopZ
28-08-2006, 19:08
I release the ip with ipconfig then unplug the modem and leave it off for 20 odd hrs. It's always given me a new ip when i've powered it up again. :)

Graham M
28-08-2006, 19:38
Well my sister recently discovered she was being hacked, to be sure she had a friend check the computer over and her agreed that somebody was hacking her. He believed it was the IP address being used.

Sorry but this "friend" really doesn't seem or sound like he knows what he's talking about :erm:

AntonTav
28-08-2006, 21:41
:shocked: ok so release the ipconfig and leave off for 20 hours :rolleyes:
Well i'm not in for a while day after next so unless i sort it out befor then i shall try that then.
As for my sister's friend i can't say if he knows what he is on about or not, because if i knew i wouldn't be on here asking for help ;)

djnerve
28-08-2006, 21:45
what they need to do is use a proxy, search google for free proxy list ;)

Andrewcrawford23
29-08-2006, 19:20
Hi guys i'm a new member and in need of help. I have

Telewest Broadband, Webstar
Scientific Atlanta
EPC21000 series cable modem

well my problem is i dont really, know how to turn of DHCP and turn on static IP or just simply change my IP, to be honest i'm not to worried whether it is DHCP or static as long as it has changed.

I'm am sorry if someone else has posted this thread, but i am almost desperate and i have my sistser shouting at me for not getting it done :(

Well thank you for any help you can offer.

What OS is the compuer running, ie is it nt based like xp or 2000 or newer or ME or before, tehre a way to force a ip but its done different from each type fo version of windows ie wether its nt based or not if yoru nto sure i can make up the instructiosn for both

Paul K
30-08-2006, 08:30
Change to or just plain change the NIC that is connected to the router or modem

Andrewcrawford23
30-08-2006, 10:06
If the person does not have computer hardware knowledge then this would be diffucult and very risky, cause unless oyu know what yoru doign you risk blowing the mtoherboard or cpu

jaycee
07-09-2006, 16:40
If what your friend saw was alerts from ZoneAlarm or similar, then there is no problem as ZoneAlarm will be stopping any hack attempts.

As long as you keep up to date with Windows Updates, and keep a firewall running, no-one will hack into your computer. Better still, buy a router - that way they cannot directly get into your computer as your router is in between.

Toto
07-09-2006, 16:48
Could I add here, changing the IP address will have no impact on the hacked machine. If a trojan is present, it will call home with the current IP address, usually to some sort of IRC (Internet Relay Chat) channel, and broadcast to the controler the new IP address.

Best advice is to make sure the PC is firewalled, and any vulnerability removed. A good anti virus program, and a decent Trojan detection program will help in this.

If you want to try a decent Trojan removal system, try Trojan Hunter here http://www.misec.net/.

Oh, and Telewest offer something called PC Guard, I think its free to most telewest broadband accounts.