PDA

View Full Version : Changing number of rings on phone before 1571 kicks in ?

NBeg
23-08-2006, 12:55
Hi,

Is there an option to change the number of rings before NTL 1571 voicemail kicks in ? Mine is set to answer at 6 and I never seem to get to the phone in time (!).

I'm on the free service and I don't get any option when I dial 1571 to pick up my voicemails. I've seen an old post from 2004 here that says there is no way to do it but has this changed ? Yours hopefully...

Oh and as a side note - if I pay to get 'voicemail plus' will I have the option to change the number of rings ?

I'm in Northern Ireland if that helps,

Thanks.

quadplay
23-08-2006, 12:56
The Free Voicemail doesn't allow you to set this option, but the paid-for Voicemail does. :)

legend
23-08-2006, 14:30
I have free voicemail and I changed the number of rings on mine

It has to be done via the switch.. someone in Faults with Switch access should be able to do this for you

Chris :)

watervole
18-09-2006, 10:57
I have the paid voicemail service. A few months ago the number of rings seemed to change, without my intervention, I swear, from about 7 to about 4. Now we race to catch the phone and usually miss it. I've been unable to find an option to change this through user options on the 1571 service itself.

I just called Customer Services, who told me that they can't change the number of rings, it's up to me, via user options on 1571. When I explained I'd tried this several times and couldn't find the option, but could they explain where it was, please, I was just given the same story without further explanation and then cut off.

Can anyone out there help me too?

KaySquirrel
18-09-2006, 11:26
I just called Customer Services, who told me that they can't change the number of rings, it's up to me, via user options on 1571. When I explained I'd tried this several times and couldn't find the option, but could they explain where it was, please, I was just given the same story without further explanation and then cut off.

The number of rings on the free voicemail can't be changed via 1571. (I just checked on mine to be sure!) If you don't get the option to change the # of rings, could it be possible that they've accidentally switched you from the paid, to the free voicemail? Have you still been charged for the paid voicemail on your last few bills? I'd ring 'em up and make sure paid voicemail is still active on your account..

Good luck!

lauzjp
18-09-2006, 16:01
can't complain really, it is handy to have the free voicemail. does make you loose a few pounds doesn't it!?

KaySquirrel
18-09-2006, 16:09
can't complain really, it is handy to have the free voicemail. does make you loose a few pounds doesn't it!?

Do you mean £s off the bill, or lbs. as we make a mad dash to answer the phone in less than 4 rings? Or both! :D ;)

watervole
18-09-2006, 20:59
The number of rings on the free voicemail can't be changed via 1571. (I just checked on mine to be sure!) If you don't get the option to change the # of rings, could it be possible that they've accidentally switched you from the paid, to the free voicemail? Have you still been charged for the paid voicemail on your last few bills? I'd ring 'em up and make sure paid voicemail is still active on your account..

Good luck!

Oh yes, I'm paying! But I saw something just now on another forum that suggests I might need to report this to CS as a "fault" rather than just an "other query", so I'll try that in the morning and see if I get more sense.

KaySquirrel
18-09-2006, 21:10
Hopefully they can sort it out for you soon!

Nickster
18-09-2006, 23:08
Call the faults dept and request the number of rings to be increased. It has to be done manually by 2nd line on the switch where the timeout will be increased in seconds - there is no option for the customer to change this. Bear in mind that one "ring" is approx 3 seconds and that many cordless phones tend to "cut off" one or two rings at the property even though the line is ringing on the switch.

The timeout can only be increased for paid voicemail. Free voicemail timeout will not/should not be increased.

Nicky

Chutzpah
19-09-2006, 00:25
The 1571 service was interfering with my answerphone (was cutting in before my machine did), so I simply called customer services and got them to take it off. All sorted ;)

Obviously, if you haven't got an answer machine.........

watervole
19-09-2006, 09:25
Call the faults dept and request the number of rings to be increased. It has to be done manually by 2nd line on the switch where the timeout will be increased in seconds - there is no option for the customer to change this. Bear in mind that one "ring" is approx 3 seconds and that many cordless phones tend to "cut off" one or two rings at the property even though the line is ringing on the switch.

The timeout can only be increased for paid voicemail. Free voicemail timeout will not/should not be increased.

Nicky

Thanks, Nicky, that's exactly the right advice, and it's what I've just had explained to me by a polite and helpful person in the Faults dept, who also pointed out that the change in behaviour probably resulted from our installing a cordless phone.

So we should be sorted now, thanks to the forums, and despite getting fobbed off with incorrect advice from ntl earlier on. Hope these exchanges have been helpful to others.

Nickster
19-09-2006, 15:45
Glad to help.

Nicky