PDA

View Full Version : Internet Connection Lost

basa
23-08-2006, 08:45
Little problem for you all to ponder ?

Friend has a Dell tower running XP Home and ntl BB which cannot connect to the internet.

Network properties shows full connectivity and sending / receiving packets backed up by successfully pinging 127.0.0.1.

You can also successfully ping and tracert bbc.co.uk and google.co.uk, yet IE shows 'Page cannot be displayed' on all sites and OE fails to send / receive with the usual error box.

Adaware and Windows Updates all fail to connect.

What is very odd is that during our playing with this machine we did once get to ntl's Registration page where we entered the PID and password and successfully registered the machine. However on reboot we go back to 'Page cannot be displayed'.

IE repair and connection wizard both failed and network connection repair failed returning 'cannot renew IP'.

Could this be the dreaded Winsock failure ?? Any ideas folks ?? :(

Cobbydaler
23-08-2006, 09:03
Good thread on troubleshooting the same problem here (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16663046~days=9999)

basa
23-08-2006, 09:35
Good thread on troubleshooting the same problem here (http://www.dslreports.com/forum/remark,16663046~days=9999)

Cheers Cobby ... think I'll go for a winsock and TCP/IP renew and retire if that doesn't work. :(

basa
24-08-2006, 08:22
Update:

Cheers Cobby, the winsock repair got it. Found out they'd had Norton AV on there (bundled) and removed it. I think that's what screwed the winsock layer.

Three cheers for Norton !! :rolleyes:

Cobbydaler
24-08-2006, 08:33
No problem, glad it worked...

:birthday:

DanTheMan
24-08-2006, 08:46
I'm sure 127.0.0.1 is just the internal loopback IP, good for testing that TCPIP is working but no good for testing connectivity out of your PC

basa
24-08-2006, 08:52
I'm sure 127.0.0.1 is just the internal loopback IP, good for testing that TCPIP is working but no good for testing connectivity out of your PC

You're quite right, it tests if the NIC is working is all. In my OP I went on to say I could ping / trace bbc and google proving the connectivity. The winsock layer when faulty can give odd results like this. :)