PDA

View Full Version : Panasonic Viera TV question

zrerz
21-08-2006, 18:57
Thinking very hard about getting one of these Panasonic Viera Plasma tv's, the model number is TX42PX60B, it's the 42" version on the Viera stand.
Has anyone got one, or has heard any comments on them?
I'm hoping to use one on the new Sky HD service, and maybe with the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 when it comes out.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Ramrod
21-08-2006, 19:07
I have the 28" LCD Panasonic Viera and it's very good. HD input, umpteen scarts and PC input along with other bits and bobs. Why do you want a plasma.....LCD seems better.....

zrerz
21-08-2006, 19:10
cheapness seems to be the answer, they are under £1,400 on Dixons web site at the mo, but I've heard bad things about screen burn, so was looking to check if anyone out there had either had this problem, or heard of it?

TheBlueRaja
21-08-2006, 19:17
Thinking very hard about getting one of these Panasonic Viera Plasma tv's, the model number is TX42PX60B, it's the 42" version on the Viera stand.
Has anyone got one, or has heard any comments on them?
I'm hoping to use one on the new Sky HD service, and maybe with the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 when it comes out.
Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Got this very telly, had it for about 6 months now and i use it with Sky+ (Standard Def) an Xbox 360 on Component @ 720P and an upscaling DVD player again at 720P via HDMI.

Its a brilliant set in terms of Picture quality (PQ) however it does have some flaws, however they are minor and if i list them here you will probably end up looking for them and once you see them they might bug you.

So the question i will ask first is, given the fact that if I was given the choice to buy this set again or another Plasma like the Pioneer or an LCD etc, i am happy with my decision and would still get the same set, do you really want to know what its flaws are given that you might end up seeing them yourself and have it bug you?

Really think about this by the way....

I would also recommend John Lewis as the place to get this set - they will price match any retailer that has a physical store and shows its prices on the shop floor (so for example richer sounds dosent count as they dont show pricing in the store) but you get a 5 YEAR GUARANTEE with them... Defo worth it.

Screen burn is NOT an issue by the way - i've played stuff for hours on the XBox like Oblivion etc where you have heath bars etc in the same place - no problems - the Pioneers have a real issue with Screen burn however, but people claim that on the upside they have better PQ, although having seen both side by side i would argue there really isnt any difference.

What you MAY be confusing with screen burn is the "burn in" period where they recommend that you have the screen on reduced settings for the first 200 hours of use.

This sounds like a problem / pain in the ass, but the screen comes by default set to dynamic which has the contrast / brightness whacked up full on every input and IMO it looks waaaaaaay too bright. Changing this setting to Normal or Cinema allows you to "burn it in", but IMO it looks best on Cinema mode anyway and i havent changed it despite being way past any burn in period. The "burn in" period is actually a true statement with this set as the picture actually gets better as time goes on during this period.

banjo
21-08-2006, 19:19
I have had a 42" plasma tv for 20 months and it is on for around 16 hours a day and there is no sign of any "burn in" I would not worry about that problem. :)

zrerz
21-08-2006, 19:34
Thanks TheBlueRaja, great reply, consider it sold:D

TheBlueRaja
21-08-2006, 19:39
Thanks TheBlueRaja, great reply, consider it sold:D

Enjoy your set mate!

I would also recommend a good Scart lead between your Sky box and the set - it DOES make a difference.

I use the IXOS XHT611, which i got off Ebay for about 30 quid.