PDA

View Full Version : interview for woolworths...

kronas
19-08-2006, 23:44
has anyone had the experiance of working at a woolworths, what type of things are asked at the interview, its been a while since i have been to one...

Stuart
19-08-2006, 23:46
I haven't worked in Woolies, but good luck anyway.

Minbu
20-08-2006, 00:00
Few Woolworths employees work there! :rolleyes:

kronas
20-08-2006, 01:46
lol thanks stu, me and my sister applied and handed in the forms together, we both got calls the same day, they must be desperate to even attempt to hire me :D.

if anyone has any tips would be appreciated.

Graham M
20-08-2006, 01:51
Good luck mate, you'll do fine I'm sure :)

kronas
20-08-2006, 02:03
Good luck mate, you'll do fine I'm sure :)

im actually quite nervous :disturbd:

Graham M
20-08-2006, 02:40
That's normal, nothing to worry about :)

Jules
20-08-2006, 11:10
All the best Kronas I hope you get it, it may be just what you need to help you get better :)

TheDaddy
20-08-2006, 11:55
There are techniques you can use to help control your nerves, things like peripheral vision for example, the main thing to remember in the actual interview is to try and build a rapport with the interviewer, this will make him less critical of you and more sympathetic to your cause, while rapport building is natural you can develop skills to enhance your rapport building on a sensory level, try to match the way he is communicating with you through things like posture, speech patterns, tonality, breathing and energy levels ect. Obviously the more you try it the more subtle it is.

TheNorm
20-08-2006, 12:13
Relax and be yourself. An experienced interviewer will be looking to see if you fit in with their "team". If you do, you're in with a good chance. If not, try for another job.

You might be asked "if we offer you the job, when could you start". If you can honestly say "how about tomorrow morning?", this will put you way ahead of someone who says "I have to give four weeks notice".

Oh, and relax and be yourself...!

kronas
20-08-2006, 14:23
thanks so far guys, i hear what you are saying, just hope i dont turn in to a negative sod, sometimes i can be, need to look on the bright side of things!

Hugh
20-08-2006, 14:42
Kronas

you might find this helpful - http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3569-2222062,,00.html .

As someone who has interviewed job applicants many, many times, my advice to you (which you should feel free to ignore) is -

- Be yourself (well, the positive aspects of yourself) - people can tell if you are being "fake".
- Never lie (which is not the same as telling all your secrets and faults) - inconsistencies show up, and if the employer can't trust you, you won't get hired.
- Be positive - show them "why you", but such things as
a) do a bit of web research on Woolies
b) go round the store where you are being hired
then point out positive things you have found from a) & b) - this shows them that you have tried harder.
- Turn up on time (10 minutes early is better) and dressed smartly; if not a suit and (restrained quiet) tie, then at least smart trousers, plain long-sleeved shirt, and non-garish tie (Simpsons or "it won't suck itself" ties tend to be the kiss of death at interviews).
- Remove excess jewellery (piercings, studs, death-skull rings, etc)
- Hair should be tidy (not gelled up and eye-catching) - you're at an interview, not on the pull.
- Don't swear (even if the interviewer does).
- Don't be controversial (Football, politics, religion, etc...) you just want to work there, not convert them to your way of thinking.
- Listen to the interviewer - too many people are just waiting for a pause in the conversation to say something themselves; it is OK to pause while you think of a reply (a good gambit, but not to be over-used, is "that's a good/interesting question" - whilst you are saying this, you have time to think of a reply)
- Replies to questions should be short and factual - don't over-egg the pudding.

Hope this helps

Good luck!

This might also be useful (10 top tips for an interview)
http://www.telepeople.com/InfoTopTen.aspx

gaffer_gump
20-08-2006, 14:59
non-garish tie (Simpsons or "it won't suck itself" ties tend to be the kiss of death at interviews).
- Remove excess jewellery (piercings, studs, death-skull rings, etc)
- Hair should be tidy (not gelled up and eye-catching) - you're at an interview, not on the pull.

- Replies to questions should be short and factual - don't over-egg the pudding.

Fantastic post, I am still laughing at the tie bit :tu:

Hugh
20-08-2006, 15:13
Fantastic post, I am still laughing at the tie bit :tu:

All of the above have happened at interviews I have held/been part of the team of - they all got negative reactions. Perhaps not fair, but factual.

lauzjp
01-09-2006, 05:47
has Kronas heard anything about the interview yet? glad to see you are still trying! :)

Nidge
01-09-2006, 10:20
thanks so far guys, i hear what you are saying, just hope i dont turn in to a negative sod, sometimes i can be, need to look on the bright side of things!

Hi Kronas, when you go in for the interview sit up straight in the chair, look the person who's doing the interview straight in the eyes when answering questions, look smart and clean shaven. You'll be ok trust me.

kronas
02-09-2006, 18:44
has Kronas heard anything about the interview yet? glad to see you are still trying! :)

i have heard nothing as of yet, oh well atleast i tired!

TheNorm
02-09-2006, 18:46

Absolutely! The more interviews you have, the better you'll be at them.

TheDaddy
02-09-2006, 19:36

Ho well, have you thought about agency work, sometimes you don't need to be interviewed by the employer ;)

Hugh
02-09-2006, 21:09

Kronas, it is the holiday period, and things take a bit longer at this time of the year - may I suggest you ring up and ask what the outcome was?

If they say "No, thanks", ask for feedback on the interview (what they thought of you, any improvements that would have helped) - that might help on your next interview.

kronas
03-09-2006, 00:11
this is a true story, my mate works at mecca bingo currently, so he handed in his application just after me, so they rang him up for him to go and have an interview, he couldnt as he had to go to work, so they rang him back later on he ignored the call.... they rang him again and wanted him to start work! despite only having handed his application in!

he is more skilled than me, worked in two retail outlets, owning then running one, but im not going to chase people up, if they want me they will come to me!

Jules
03-09-2006, 11:54
Kronas some times you have to do a little chasing as well :)

timewarrior2001
03-09-2006, 12:00
this is a true story, my mate works at mecca bingo currently, so he handed in his application just after me, so they rang him up for him to go and have an interview, he couldnt as he had to go to work, so they rang him back later on he ignored the call.... they rang him again and wanted him to start work! despite only having handed his application in!

he is more skilled than me, worked in two retail outlets, owning then running one, but im not going to chase people up, if they want me they will come to me!

I spent three years out of work for thinking the same thing.

Employers want people who are eager to work there, they dont want to chase people.

LSainsbury
03-09-2006, 16:15
...if they want me they will come to me!

Bloody hell...some people! :mad:

If you take that attitude you will net NOWHERE! Do you really want the job - I don't think you do from that comment - why even bother going to the interview in the first place?

/ Off soapbox!

skyblueheroes
03-09-2006, 18:00
Go and chase them - it may have got mislaid or something.

BTW - you can't go wrong with as much interview practice as you can get.

kronas
03-09-2006, 21:19
Bloody hell...some people! :mad:

If you take that attitude you will net NOWHERE! Do you really want the job - I don't think you do from that comment - why even bother going to the interview in the first place?

/ Off soapbox!

lol, what am i supposed to do, he said he would let me know, i said what timescale he said he cant pinpoint one...

if i have done the interview, filled in the paperwork and the employer tells you 'we will be in touch' what else can i do ?

if an employer wants to hire you then they will contact you, its always been the case for me, and my freind, so why should i chase something, maybe im not suitable for the job, ie what they are looking for, so dont criticise me, as you dont know me.

Employers want people who are eager to work there, they dont want to chase people.

i proved my eagerness, i remaned pleasant, positive, eye contact, talkative, not too much, answered questions responsively...

Kronas some times you have to do a little chasing as well :)

well i chased up tesco and they said 'someone will contact you when the application has been processed'

hmm yep two months later nothing!

---------- Post added at 21:19 ---------- Previous post was at 21:18 ----------

Go and chase them - it may have got mislaid or something.

BTW - you can't go wrong with as much interview practice as you can get.

ok ill do it when i have the chance!

superbiatch
03-09-2006, 21:28
Lucky escape if you ask me, i spent a short stint in a woolies for some extra cash one xmas a few years back. I left due to a disgreement with the store manager (basically i told him he was up his own backside via fax) but whilst working there i did notice there was no room to use your own initiative, you were basically a robot! If you have your own mind, you're wasted working there.

Also, many of the supervisors had basically worked their way up to their great status because of long service and their management techniques were questionable.

Lastly, the general public are horrible to shop staff - i have nothing but utter respect for shop staff these days :D

Jules
03-09-2006, 21:30
Good luck :)

---------- Post added at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------

ok ill do it when i have the chance!

timewarrior2001
03-09-2006, 22:22
i proved my eagerness, i remaned pleasant, positive, eye contact, talkative, not too much, answered questions responsively...

No what you did was bother your **** to turn up, everything else is what is expected. If you think thats being eager you really do need to re-asses your situation Kronie. Smack heads have been known to at least attend interviews, what makes you stand out from them, what makes you a better candidate than anyone else?

I'm not picking on you, I see you making the same mistakes I did. I learnt form them and I'm trying to point out the error of your ways.

smicer07
03-09-2006, 22:47
No what you did was bother your **** to turn up, everything else is what is expected. If you think thats being eager you really do need to re-asses your situation Kronie. Smack heads have been known to at least attend interviews, what makes you stand out from them, what makes you a better candidate than anyone else?

I'm not picking on you, I see you making the same mistakes I did. I learnt form them and I'm trying to point out the error of your ways.

Well that was constructive for the young lad :rolleyes:

skyblueheroes
03-09-2006, 23:03

It was in my humble opinion. Only speaking the truth.

timewarrior2001
03-09-2006, 23:03

What should I congratulate him for? achieving nothing, and putting in what may only have been bare minimum effort, or should I tell him the truth and allow him to learn a damned lot faster than I did?

its not about being constructive, Kronie is under the impression that he has been eager, I just pointed out that he has actually done very little. If he wants a job and wants to change his life, the last thing he needs is people telling him he's done good when he hasnt, thats deconstructive, thats destructive and the way Kronie has been recently its nothing short of dangerous.

He doesnt need encouragement, he is already taking those steps, what he needs now is to learn and catch up. He doesnt need a nurse maid, he doesnt need false empty congratulations. he needs the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
And I think if anything you all know I will say whats on my mind.

Caff
03-09-2006, 23:22
After any interviews that I've had when I've been told "We'll be in touch." I've thanked the interveiwer/s and left it at that. To push for a time limit could have seemed cocky or confrontational...
But I always left matters for one week and then enquired about the situation. It showed that I still had an interest in the position and brought my name back to the top of an agenda somewhere.

Hope this may be useful.
Cheers.

And my first paid employment was at a small, local branch of Woolies.:D

kronas
04-09-2006, 02:06
What should I congratulate him for? achieving nothing, and putting in what may only have been bare minimum effort, or should I tell him the truth and allow him to learn a damned lot faster than I did?

i gave my 90% in the interview, i even had some prior knowledge about the company from a financial and ownership point of view.

its not about being constructive,

the purpose of posting in such threads is!??????

Kronie is under the impression that he has been eager,

ok, i filled in the form, handed it in, got a call, went to the interview early, talked about my commitment to sales and customer service, talked about my previous employment, jobs i did, tasks, was put in to positions where he was trying to fool me and nearly succeeded as he had told me on one occasion that i was correct, asked questions about oppertunitites, pay structure, his role, who i would work under...

thats about as much as i can remember so far.

what more should i have done ?

I just pointed out that he has actually done very little. If he wants a job and wants to change his life, the last thing he needs is people telling him he's done good when he hasnt, thats deconstructive, thats destructive and the way Kronie has been recently its nothing short of dangerous.

i await your points on what i should do

He doesnt need encouragement, he is already taking those steps, what he needs now is to learn and catch up. He doesnt need a nurse maid, he doesnt need false empty congratulations. he needs the truth the whole truth and nothing but the truth.
And I think if anything you all know I will say whats on my mind.

all that springs to mind is 'hot air'

that was very constructive of you :rolleyes: , you have pointed out three things from your posts in this thread:

1) your aggressive

2) you have said absolutely nothing constructive i can learn from regarding jobs that i didnt know.

3) you compared me to a smackhead :mad:

---------- Post added at 02:06 ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 ----------

If they say "No, thanks", ask for feedback on the interview (what they thought of you, any improvements that would have helped) - that might help on your next interview.

well at the end of the interview i did ask him 'so what do you think of me' he just smiled and said "i cant tell you that"

skyblueheroes
04-09-2006, 06:47
i gave my 90% in the interview, i even had some prior knowledge about the company from a financial and ownership point of view.

Why not 100% ??

Ok, i filled in the form, handed it in, got a call, went to the interview early, talked about my commitment to sales and customer service, talked about my previous employment, jobs i did, tasks, was put in to positions where he was trying to fool me and nearly succeeded as he had told me on one occasion that i was correct, asked questions about oppertunitites, pay structure, his role, who i would work under...

But that was normal for an interview. You wouldn't have seen any more eager than everyone else.

timewarrior2001
04-09-2006, 09:15

the purpose of posting in such threads is!??????

ok, i filled in the form, handed it in, got a call, went to the interview early, talked about my commitment to sales and customer service, talked about my previous employment, jobs i did, tasks, was put in to positions where he was trying to fool me and nearly succeeded as he had told me on one occasion that i was correct, asked questions about oppertunitites, pay structure, his role, who i would work under...

thats about as much as i can remember so far.

what more should i have done ?

i await your points on what i should do

all that springs to mind is 'hot air'

that was very constructive of you :rolleyes: , you have pointed out three things from your posts in this thread:

1) your aggressive

2) you have said absolutely nothing constructive i can learn from regarding jobs that i didnt know.

3) you compared me to a smackhead :mad:

---------- Post added at 02:06 ---------- Previous post was at 02:04 ----------

well at the end of the interview i did ask him 'so what do you think of me' he just smiled and said "i cant tell you that"

Well Kronie if thats your attitude get used to being unemplyoed mate, i am sick to death of trying to help you through stuff and after this little spat you can **** off.

hatedbythemail
04-09-2006, 09:49
Good luck :)

---------- Post added at 21:30 ---------- Previous post was at 21:29 ----------
echo that. if you really want the job give them a buzz.

Gareth
04-09-2006, 10:02
But that was normal for an interview. You wouldn't have seen any more eager than everyone else.Spot on! :tu:

You might get the job without going the extra mile, but it's not much effort to give them a call to enquire as to the status of your application (without being pushy). You've done the hard work, so why potentially risk all that because you're being lazy? Giving a quick call to the Personnel dept won't hinder your application, but it could very well swing things in your favour.

Jon M
04-09-2006, 10:31
Please can all those getting personal, refrain from now on, thankyou.

I'm not getting into this particular issue myself, lets just keep it calm people.

punky
04-09-2006, 11:10
Kronas, I am not saying this to personal, or an a******e. I am saying this for the benefit of your health, not mine, and this will be the last post on the matter if you're wanting to get into an argument with me about this. You can take it or leave it as far as I am concerned. I'm sorry Kronas but TW2001 is right, albeit a bit strong in his words.

You said you were eager, pleasant, etc. That's incorrect. You think you were eager, pleasant, but we've no idea whether the interviewer agreed with you... So its not good to rely on that point. It may be true, it may not. As TW2001 also said, you've done the bare minimum to constitute a job interview, and the fact, by your own admission you gave 90% doesn't bode well. Jobs are competitive and you have to go above and beyond to get one.

You were wrong to ask how you were at the end of the interview. However calling them up now and asking them why is much better. Also it looks good if you ever went back for another interview. It shows you at least give a damn.

Whilst applying to Woolworth's was a big step for you, its important to keep the momentum going, and don't throw your hands up in expaseration and think you're unemployable. Who gets the first job they apply for? I have friends who've several interviews a week for many months, even years, before they got accepted. One interview in 2 weeks isn't really pushing it. You have to dust yourself off, learn from it, and push forward.

Stuart
04-09-2006, 11:46
You said you were eager, pleasant, etc. That's incorrect. You think you were eager, pleasant, but we've no idea whether the interviewer agreed with you... So its not good to rely on that point. It may be true, it may not. As TW2001 also said, you've done the bare minimum to constitute a job interview, and the fact, by your own admission you gave 90% doesn't bode well. Jobs are competitive and you have to go above and beyond to get one.

I do agree with Punky and TW (although I wouldn't put it quite as bluntly as TW). Showing that you are eager, pleasant etc (assuming that the interviewer picked up on that) isn't enough. Giving 90% isn't enough.

It's a cliche, but you need to give 110% in all interviews.

You were wrong to ask how you were at the end of the interview. However calling them up now and asking them why is much better. Also it looks good if you ever went back for another interview. It shows you at least give a damn.

Again true, the interviewer probably wouldn't have known whether you were good enough at the end of the interview (he or she probably had other people to see). However, even if he or she did, she may not have told you.

Calling them now may well show enthusiasm (which is a good thing).

An example: Before I got my current job, I applied for a job as a junior systems analyst for the NHS (at their headquarters in the Elephant and Castle). It was an amazing job (fitted my skills perfectly), I scored 65% in the aptitude test, and I interviewed well. Had I asked the interviewer then and there whether I did well, he or she would possibly have said yes. However, the next day, someone came along who got 66% in the aptitude test, so I didn't get the job.

Whilst applying to Woolworth's was a big step for you, its important to keep the momentum going, and don't throw your hands up in expaseration and think you're unemployable. Who gets the first job they apply for? I have friends who've several interviews a week for many months, even years, before they got accepted. One interview in 2 weeks isn't really pushing it. You have to dust yourself off, learn from it, and push forward.

A friend of mine ended up writing to 200 companies before she got a job. She has a first in Computer Science. Admittedly, she wanted to go into a specialist area (programming for financial services companies), but she did end up working as a tech support officer for an american bank.

My point is that she didn't give up after the first rejection. She didn't give up after the first interview, and while she isn't doing something she wanted to do, she may find it easier to get a programming related job.

ian@huth
04-09-2006, 12:32
If you are looking for a new job it is important to think carefully about how you are going to tackle the job hunting process. There are a few things to think about that may help:

It is usually easier to get a new job if you are already in work.

Don't wait for the results of one job application before making applications elsewhere.

Don't have a single CV that you use for every job application that you make but have several which are tailored to suit the position that you are applying for. You can tell from the responses you get to your CV's which format produces most interviews.

When you attend an interview it is worth remembering that the first sight of you and the first few words that you speak have a very big influence on the outcome of the interview.

Don't try to bulls**t the interviewer claiming skills and experience that you don't have. The slightest hint of something not being right with what you are saying will probably result in rejection for the post.

Ask the interviewer the proceedure they are using to select the right candidate for the job. Try to do this in a way that doesn't spell out desperation. Something like "will a decision be made from these interviews or will a short list be produced and further interviews be made".

Employers will usually sort candidates into two or three categories. These will be "not suitable", "maybe" or "sounds promising". If you end up in the maybe or sounds promising pile and not their first choice for the position it can be a help if you contact them a week or so after the interview so that your name is on the tip of their tongue if their first choice doesn't accept the position. You probably won't know which pile you have been put into but the sheer fact that you have been asked to attend an interview means it wasn't the "not suitable" pile.

The more applications that you make and the more interviews that you attend should enable you to improve the skill of selling yourself in the future.

The comment that you made "but im not going to chase people up, if they want me they will come to me!" is rather disturbing. They don't particularly want you, just someone who meets their criteria. You have to do whatever is necessary to make them think that you are the best candidate for the job. When you get the job and work your way up to being Woolworths CEO within the next four or five years then companies will come to you.

pop80_uk
04-09-2006, 13:42
Well Ive personally since uni applied for over 80 jobs now, ive had interviews for 5, thats just the way it is. I have a good degree and alot of other qualifications from studying in my current position, but the jobs are just not out there and you really have to hunt to find them then be excellent to get them. Before I had my current job in the NHS, I worked as a manager at Topshop. Topshop is much like other people have said with sales staff moving up the ladder with little or no training to become managers or supervisors, this is bad. It results in poorly skilled senior staff and often the result is a high turn over of staff it also means they have a low level of external applicant managers.

Anyway, I think people need to back off this guy a little I apprecaite your points, but he has at least gone to the interview and its better than doing nothing.

All I will say is its not easy, and employers will not come to you matey. I appreciate you may have heard of instances of head hunting, but this happens in a different area than your looking at.

Thanks

Jules
04-09-2006, 13:44
Good luck Pop in finding something and Kronas don't give up there is a job out there with your name on it you just have to find it :)

pop80_uk
04-09-2006, 13:52
Good luck Pop in finding something and Kronas don't give up there is a job out there with your name on it you just have to find it :)

Thanks Jules ;)

superbiatch
04-09-2006, 14:23
All I will say is its not easy, and employers will not come to you matey. I appreciate you may have heard of instances of head hunting, but this happens in a different area than your looking at.

Looking at it from a mangerial point of view, when you are advertising a post with low skill level requirements you will have a lot of interest, and if you are receiving phone calls from everyone who you interviewed, it can become annoying.

Our policy (in the local NHS) is to contact only those who are successful. If you have not heard within 2 weeks - you have to assume you have not been chosen on this occasion.

I think the fact woolies were a bit wishy-washy in the first place about when he would hear about whether or not he was successful has caused confusion. Earlier on in this thread i mentioned how management/supervisors in this particular establishment are not up to the grade - this just further confirms it. That is from first hand exprience of working for them.

etccarmageddon
04-09-2006, 16:02
you should not be so focused on one job application - this indicates you are putting your eggs in one basket. you should be applying for that many jobs that this woolies job is just one of many so it isn't enough to warrant you writing a thread about it! i.e. you should be tarting yourself all over the place!!!!

Hugh
04-09-2006, 16:14

Sorry, K, I wasn't clear - I meant after the interview, when/if you rang up to chase up if you had the job.

kronas
04-09-2006, 17:16
i dont see why everyone is practically saying im not doing enough, whatelse can i do, ok reading through the posts i might have sounded a tad desperate, but it was in jestive way when i said 'how did i do'

for the record i did go in and ask, i was told the two vacancies were filled, one of which i saw in action a woman in her 40's 50's, so experiance maybe counts, i just did what i thought was best, i have never heard of ANYONE chase up a reply, if employers want you they will contact you, it works for everyone around me, i lack experiance and cant show any qualities and relaibailty etc, things like that make you undesireable.

as for the 90% im ill far more than i have previously been, only had one hours sleep in two days, battling with other things too...

Jules
04-09-2006, 17:40
Hang on in there Kronas I am sure things will get better for you :)

dilli-theclaw
04-09-2006, 18:15
as for the 90% im ill far more than i have previously been, only had one hours sleep in two days, battling with other things too...We all have varying problems and have to cope with them. Being ill, unfortunately, is not something that the interviewer is likely to look/see as a good sign. If you STILL can't get your gp to sort you out - you need to see a DIFFERENT one. Turning up to an interview with only one hours sleep is more or less going to gurantee you not getting the job.

Still you have to keep trying, especially if you have the job centre breathing down your back as I presume you do.

Just remember, it could be worse ;) :)

Hugh
04-09-2006, 18:24
Good luck, Kronas. :tu:

timewarrior2001
04-09-2006, 18:47
Yeah I guess I was a bit too blunt.

Sorry been in a ****ty mood today as I had to go to the funeral of a close friend who died suddenly last week. The tears have flowed the mourning is wavering now.

I still mean what I said, but take some of the edge off it.

Kronas.

lets put things into perspective shall we?

Ok yes I mentioned smack head, it was not a comparison, what I actually said is that smack heads have been known to attend job interviews....so have mentally ill people, murderers, robbers, muggers...its not a reflection on you, I was simply wanting to point out that attending an interview does not qualify you for a gold star.

Yes you did well to find the vacancy and to apply and even get an interview.
Look on the bright side, something made them select you for interview over someone else. What you need to do now is figure out what that something is and expand on it.

An interviewer will try their best to not disclose anything from the interview until after they have had chance to read through their notes. Thats why we all urged you to contact Woolworths again and ask for some feedback, this feedback will be honest, you may not like it, but it is coming from the impressions you gave an experienced interviewer. This will give you something to work on for next time.

What do you want to do?
Without knowing the answer ot this question you cannot answer it at an interview.

Why did you apply for that job?

Why do you think you are suitable for the job?

The questions rarely change, and you have to be fast enough on your feet to adapt. Interviews are tough, the company can pick their choice of the best, you have ONE shot to be your best.

You have to be honest, I wouldnt mention your sickness unless they specifically ask you about it, even then, you need to stress you are under the care of your GP and have his consent to be looking for work.

Voluntary work is often looked upon favourably, you donate your time for no wage, an employer will see that as a plus point some will see you as a god send...Be carefull.

Lastly. GET A NEW DOCTOR. and please give honest answers, saying you were ill and hadn't slept much for the interview, although may be genuine, sounds like your making excuses. Fight the sleep and make sure you give 110% at your next interview. You wont get pity from me or from an interviewer.

Do not let on you are nervous, keep cool, calm and confident.
Remember an interview works two ways, it assesses your ability to do the job and it assesses the jobs suitability to you. You are interviewing them as much as they you. Make sure you have questions other than, how did I do? or when do I start?

See I CAN do.......nice :D

kronas
04-09-2006, 23:29
you should not be so focused on one job application - this indicates you are putting your eggs in one basket. you should be applying for that many jobs that this woolies job is just one of many so it isn't enough to warrant you writing a thread about it! i.e. you should be tarting yourself all over the place!!!!

oh no, i have done applications for asda, tesco, habitat also.

but have not even had a response despite chasing tesco up!

---------- Post added at 23:24 ---------- Previous post was at 23:22 ----------

We all have varying problems and have to cope with them. Being ill, unfortunately, is not something that the interviewer is likely to look/see as a good sign. If you STILL can't get your gp to sort you out - you need to see a DIFFERENT one. Turning up to an interview with only one hours sleep is more or less going to gurantee you not getting the job.

Still you have to keep trying, especially if you have the job centre breathing down your back as I presume you do.

Just remember, it could be worse ;) :)

things are moving forward with regards to my health, the GP is not so much of a problem, i think my problems have scared him somewhat :(

yes i have job centre breathing down my neck, i was due to start a course for the second time, but continuing illness prevented me from starting, its last chance saloon, so i will be incomeless in a few weeks i think, im hoping for the best!

---------- Post added at 23:25 ---------- Previous post was at 23:24 ----------

Good luck, Kronas. :tu:

---------- Post added at 23:29 ---------- Previous post was at 23:25 ----------

Lastly. GET A NEW DOCTOR. and please give honest answers, saying you were ill and hadn't slept much for the interview, although may be genuine, sounds like your making excuses. Fight the sleep and make sure you give 110% at your next interview. You wont get pity from me or from an interviewer.

Do not let on you are nervous, keep cool, calm and confident.
Remember an interview works two ways, it assesses your ability to do the job and it assesses the jobs suitability to you. You are interviewing them as much as they you. Make sure you have questions other than, how did I do? or when do I start?

See I CAN do.......nice :D

sorry to hear about the funeral, death can sometimes be cruel but we all have to face it at somepoint if your still alive :D

just to stress i was NOT starved of sleep at the intervew thats over the past two days, all sorts stomach, pains at the top of my head to the side, then bloody toothache! the latter being rare, its true what they say, nothing worse than toothache :(

id just like to say thanks to those who participated in the thread, ill be more robotic at interviews and show little to no emotion :D ;)

homealone
04-09-2006, 23:42
so the thread has finished, then ?

Gareth
04-09-2006, 23:45
Argh.... good job you added the smiley to the bit about being robotic, or else I was gonna be rude to you, Kronie! ;)

kronas
05-09-2006, 00:07
Argh.... good job you added the smiley to the bit about being robotic, or else I was gonna be rude to you, Kronie! ;)

well you know me, i please to do :p:

so the thread has finished, then ?

pretty much, unless some bright spark wants to add something...

*looks in to the abyss :D

MovedGoalPosts
05-09-2006, 09:20
Voluntary work is often looked upon favourably, you donate your time for no wage, an employer will see that as a plus point some will see you as a god send...Be carefull.

Actually you may have something there.

Many areas do have various support groups / clubs that help those who have difficulty working normally due to illness. Some of these try to simulate a work environment and whilst you are there in a voluntary capacity, doing the hours you choose, your getting used to regular attendance will give you something on which you can then build.

The doctors, job centre, social services should have information as to what groups operate in your area.

Jules
05-09-2006, 13:49
Kronas should you not be getting sickness benefit if you are ill instead of being forced out to work?

handyman
05-09-2006, 14:08
This is going to come over strong as well but if you have applied for 4/5 positions then your not doing enough.

When I moved over to Lancashire from Teesside I got on the net and rang every recruitment firm in the area, I rang up every car dealer also (even though none where advertising). 1 called back, liked the fact I had approached them direct thought it showed promise and hired me on the spot from the interview.

I had also applied to every computer support firm in the area speculativly and still egt letters back asking me to come for interviews but I'm quite happy in my present job.

You need to step it up a few gears kidda.

dilli-theclaw
05-09-2006, 15:12
This is going to come over strong as well but if you have applied for 4/5 positions then your not doing enough.

When I moved over to Lancashire from Teesside I got on the net and rang every recruitment firm in the area, I rang up every car dealer also (even though none where advertising). 1 called back, liked the fact I had approached them direct thought it showed promise and hired me on the spot from the interview.

I had also applied to every computer support firm in the area speculativly and still egt letters back asking me to come for interviews but I'm quite happy in my present job.

You need to step it up a few gears kidda.Absolutely and initially the job centre will expect you to provide at least 6 items per week in their little book to show what you've been doing to look for work. I'd be interested to know what Kronas' job seekers agreement says.

Do they have you on New Deal Kronas?

If you've got so far as they are trying to put you on a job plan work shop or equivalent Kronas then I guess you've been signing for at least six months? - or have been accelerated onto the workshop.

I must admit the workshop is actually a good idea and will no doubt help you get into work a lot better - if that's what you really want?

But as has been said if your health is a stumbling block you should get it sorted as best you can first. I'd say go see the local DEA - but in my personal experience they are a complete waste of space.