PDA

View Full Version : Famous Relations

Salu
12-12-2003, 14:06
Anybody got any famous relations? I thought it might be interesting.....

gazzae
12-12-2003, 14:07
One of my dad's relations played rugby for Ireland.
Tony Ensor

Stuart
12-12-2003, 14:22
I am a distant (very) cousin of Barbera Castle (Ex Labour MEP).

peachey
12-12-2003, 14:38
I am a distant (very) cousin of Barbera Castle (Ex Labour MEP).

I knew a bloke once who had a cousin who worked in an office. In that office the tea was sometimes brought round by a woman who knew the sister of 'bernie the bolt' off Bob Monkhouse's 'Golden Shot'

Scarlett
12-12-2003, 15:12
I was once went out with a girl who's uncle (I think that was the relationship) was Keith Harris (He of the THE KEITH HARRIS AND ORVILLE SHOW fame)

Actually, I think she was quite embarrassed by it.

imback
12-12-2003, 15:19
My girlfriend's cousin is the guy who plays cricket for Glamorgan and has played for England too, but I can't think of his name :D

Chris
12-12-2003, 15:27
My cousin's been on Countdown.

Actually that's probably not something to shout about. I'll get me coat ... :disturbd:

Dave Stones
12-12-2003, 15:31
isnt someone on here related to one of the blokes out of iron maiden?

homealone
12-12-2003, 15:35
My Gran always used to tell me I am related to Captain Webb (first person to swim the English Channel), but I've never checked it out.

Gaz

iadom
12-12-2003, 15:41
Gordon Banks is my brother, unfortunately he was always crap at football:) and for a short while in the late 60's was a jockey.

downquark1
12-12-2003, 16:00
My Uncle escaped from auschwitz. OK :rolleyes: so he isn't personally famous

Nor
12-12-2003, 16:03
My cousin was played by Liam Neeson in a movie. Don't know the cousin very well though and only met him once and not really keen on meeting him again.

Movie was called Lamb.

Salu
12-12-2003, 16:14
I'm evidently related to William the Conquerer. Through the Huguenots....

Does that make me in line to the throne, I wonder?

(I've got to go now and find out how my great aunty Liz's knee operation went on today........)

Russ
12-12-2003, 17:21
My ex-brother in law is the great-nephew of David Bowie.

Sociable
12-12-2003, 17:52
I once played with David Bryants Bowls and can confirm they are big, black and biased. :)

(Yes that is "bowls" before anyone sinks to the gutter)

I later repaid the favour by letting him bowl in my shoes as he had forgotten to bring his own pair to an international tournament played at my then home bowls club in Stevenage.

Not famous myself though, other than having been on telly a few times over the years in connection with various groups I belonged to.

As for relations, I'm told either Gilbert or Sullivan (not sure which) figure on one of the distant branches of my family tree but sadly none of their genes made it down as far as me. :(

EDIT: Almost forgot my Ex Step Brother In-Law is a second cousin to Charlton Heston but we don't talk about that now given his involvement with the N.R.A.

Atomic22
12-12-2003, 18:58
my uncle ran for great britain in the olympic marathon in tokyo in the early 60's , he was actually leading at the half way stage but ended up about 27th....
hes the british distance champion now for over 70's or something similar

Graham
12-12-2003, 18:58
Well I've been on TV several times, so that makes me at least moderately famous.

(IIRC I've actually got 2.5 minutes of my 15 minutes of fame remaining to be used...!)

Paul
12-12-2003, 19:46
I appeared on TISWAS twice in my (much) younger days which made me locally famous at the time !. :D

Dupre
13-12-2003, 03:13
My dads uncles cousin or something along those lines was James Hunt the racing driver... now i know where i get it from :-D

timewarrior2001
13-12-2003, 07:18
isnt someone on here related to one of the blokes out of iron maiden?
Yup meeeeeeeeeeeeeeee. But thats like my uncle married his neice or cousin.
Also I'm related to Alvin stardust i think somewhere along the line.
My grans uncle was a boxer called jackie Carr, apparently he held the Lonsdale belt.
My grandad played football for Tottenham hotspur, It must have been in the early 50's.
I guess you could say that my great uncle is kind of famous, he murdered his mother in 1978 and is apparently still in broadmoore, he was a tad disturbed and decided to stove her head in with a hammer :(.

Bex
13-12-2003, 10:12
apparently, my family (on mothers side) are related by marriage to sir walter reighley (can't spell its early)

my ex fainces dad was kinda famous, he was a camera man, and he filmed the first ever rugby match in colour, and he also filmed the programme about the bradford fire.....he was like a god within the cameraman circle and wrote many books which they still use......
he also used to direct calander news (its the northern local news)

virtual-angel
13-12-2003, 10:58
I live a few houses down from the great scottish showgirls Fran and Anna (Fran recently passed away, r.i.p) and Hue & Crys mum was my midwife when i was born and my mum went to the same school as Lulu or Marie McDonald McLaughlin Lawrie as she was called before she adopted her bizarre accent and forgot she came from scotland.

Edit* Goodness how could i forget! The most famous of them all, Michelle McManus of Pop Idol fame went to my school tho she was a couple of years above me!!

Colin
14-12-2003, 13:00
My cousin was the director of a programme called naked video (v old) this programme lauched Rab C Nesbitt. My family are soooo proud.

My flatmate has also appeared in casualty a few times

My dad also went to the same school as clive owen, that bloke who may or may not be the next james bond

Does anyone want my autograph?

Stuart
14-12-2003, 13:07
Apparently, A friend of mine used to be a flatmate of Stephen Graham (http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0334318/), but didn't actually like him. She actually thought he was disgusting..

Bex
14-12-2003, 13:15
Apparently, A friend of mine used to be a flatmate of Stephen Graham (http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0334318/), but didn't actually like him. She actually thought he was disgusting..

if we are just talking about links....my god mother is a wardrobe mistress and has deisgned and made many outfits for the theatres in london, including cats and le mis....and she has also meet many famous people...

my friend's bother is andrew lincoln (he was in this life..played egg, human traffic, teachers amongst other things) so i have been out drinking with him a few times and meet a few famous people with him...rose keegan and the lady who now plays the barmaid in emerdale (her name escapes me, and its not the aussie one)

Colin
14-12-2003, 13:18
almost forgot. I served Ian beale in toys 'r' us once. and my gran also worked with the midgets? dwarfs? virtically challenged people? who were in the wizard of oz

Atomic22
14-12-2003, 19:04
almost forgot. I served Ian beale in toys 'r' us once. and my gran also worked with the midgets? dwarfs? virtically challenged people? who were in the wizard of oz
talking of midgets one of our local midgets was in star wars , a few years ago him and a few of his "small" mates set up a "dwarf skittles" and "dwarf throwing" night in one of the local pubs for charity......
laff i nearly died....the sight of him upside down stuck on the velcro wall was the funniest thing ive ever seen in a pub and he raised loads for some dwarf actors charity....definately not PC but a great night from a great bunch of geezers

Russ
14-12-2003, 19:05
Dwarf throwing????

Colin
14-12-2003, 19:43
talking of midgets one of our local midgets

you make him sound like he belongs to the community. lol. Every town should have one

Stuart
14-12-2003, 20:02
Dwarf throwing????
I was gonna make a coment about Dwarf Tossing, but then I realised this isn't that sort of site.... :erm:

Theodoric
14-12-2003, 21:09
Of course, we're probably all related to each other via not too distant relatives. A bit of simple arithmetic shows that. For the nth generation back you would have 2^n ancestors at that period if none of them were related to each other. Take 20 years for a generation, then for 600 years ago you would have had 2^30, that is around 1 billion ancestors, more than the population of the world then.

Colin
14-12-2003, 21:12
Of course, we're probably all related to each other via not too distant relatives. A bit of simple arithmetic shows that. For the nth generation back you would have 2^n ancestors at that period if none of them were related to each other. Take 20 years for a generation, then for 600 years ago you would have had 2^30, that is around 1 billion ancestors, more than the population of the world then.

cheers for that brother ;)

Bex
14-12-2003, 21:15

wow ok that blew my mind a wee bit......just think i could be distantly related to any of my ex's...shudder :spin: let alone any of you....bigger shudder (joking :p)

Atomic22
26-12-2003, 20:35
Dwarf throwing????
sorry for the late reply but ive been away.......
heres how it went......
the little lads got dressed in overalls covered in velcro hooky stuff and one of the walls was covered in padding and then velcro fluffy stuff put on in a rough target sort of shape with scores stuck next to it.......
the "throwers" picked the little uns up , ran a few feet with them and then leapt onto a small but bouncy trampoline.....
when in the air heading for the wall the big geezer lets go....
he falls on a rubber mat and the little un flys through the air spread eagling himself and hits the velcro wall and sticks.......about 8 feet up in the air usually upside down and posing to the crowd to rapturous applause.
they raised hundreds for their charity in a few hours and all went home totally ratted coz none of them bought a beer all night because they set a "mini table" up with "drinks for the crew" written on it and it was constantly full of beer all night from drinkers going to the bar and getting an extra couple of beers in...
as i said a great night with a great bunch of lads.
(by the way they are all trained stuntmen including the "throwers")

Ramrod
26-12-2003, 21:58
I once sold a bottle of wine to Ric Mayall in Ladbrook Grove 'Victoria Wine' :D
...and treated Sister Wendy (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/sisterwendy/meet/) and Stratford Johns (http://theavengers.tv/forever/pnote-johns.htm) :shrug:
....could have treated the Pet Shop Boys at the dome on the millenium but I turned them down as my son had only been born a month earlier and I wanted to be with my family.

Dave Stones
26-12-2003, 22:26
patrick stewart (bald star trek guy) was born in my town... does that count? :dunce:

asdf
27-12-2003, 01:51
If we're talking about people we've dealt with at work. I've had dealing with the dude that plays Peter Barlow in corrie a few weeks ago, Bobby Davro a couple of weeks ago too and a few months ago pretty much the whole of the Hollyoaks and Brookside casts :)

I even accidently flirted with the girlfriend of one of the leading male dudes in Hollyoaks... lol. Mind you I didn't know who any of them were as I've never watched either.

downquark1
11-01-2004, 12:15
My Grandad was Matt Busby's Hungarian interpretor.