PDA

View Full Version : Old Grey Modem Causing Router to fail?

Noxy
17-08-2006, 14:15
Hi there

Have had one of those old grey NTL modems now (think the model is 200) for a fair few years.

Ever since using a router, the routers would sometimes fail their connection and require the Power to be switched off and on before they would work again.

This seems to happen randomly , but the consistent switching off and on of the power with the routers seems to cause dire effects for them.

I have used 3 different router brands over 3 years and tried every thing possible with my computers.

Brands were

USRobotics
Belkin
Linksys

This problem was present in all of the above brands (I no longer know the specific models).

Im starting to think the problem is caused by the old modem I have. Altho it seems to be a very reliable piece of hardware.

Anyways, are the problems with the modem present.

and - if I get a replacement there are two things which concern me.

Will NTL replace it for free?
Will NTL pick up the old one and replace it with an engineer, or would I be without internet a few days since i would mail the modem away?
Is it possible to use a non NTL cable modem?

Paul K
17-08-2006, 14:27
Nope you can't use a non NTL modem as it won't get a connection to the network. IF NTL replace your modem they will send an engineer out with the replacement and he will fit it for you. Have you got the router set up to obtain settings automatically?

Noxy
17-08-2006, 14:33
Currently it gets everything automatically. The problem is very frustrating as it interupts downloads - connections etc etc etc.

Have tried just about every setting in exsistance on the routers :D.

but the news about NTL replacing it with an engineer is good.

Paul K
17-08-2006, 14:39
Do you P2P at all as that could cause issues with the modem overloading with connection attempts which would then in theory require a power cycle to clear?

Noxy
17-08-2006, 14:47
I am a self confessed heavy torrent user. However, this proble can occur even when I have no P2P programs running.

Paul K
17-08-2006, 15:17
Your IP address is still listed as a source for things so no doubt you get the occassional spell of heavy traffic as people reload their source lists. Not that I ever used P2P on NTL...... ;)