PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone know any organisations which says Degrees are a waste?

heyyo
16-08-2006, 12:22
i am looking to speak to someone either an organisation/life coach who say university degrees are a waste of time?

if u can help
it would be appreciated

thanx

Aragorn
16-08-2006, 12:37
Why? Is as research for a thesis or as an argument for not going to Uni? Personally, I have used little (if any) of the 'fact' gained at Uni, but it did give me a good stepping stone to my career and opened more doors than would have been the case as an 18 yo A-level student. Admittedly, that was 20 years ago!

Ramrod
16-08-2006, 12:40
I couldn't do my job without my degree. It would be illegal and almost impossible.

Stuart
16-08-2006, 12:55
Why? Is as research for a thesis or as an argument for not going to Uni? Personally, I have used little (if any) of the 'fact' gained at Uni,

Same here. In fact, most of the stuff I learned in my degree is massively out of date.

Still, as I was told years ago, a degree, even if you don't use it, is proof you can learn.

danielf
16-08-2006, 13:03
i am looking to speak to someone either an organisation/life coach who say university degrees are a waste of time?

if u can help
it would be appreciated

thanx

You could try the Association of Accounting Technicians:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/4796287.stm

pop80_uk
16-08-2006, 16:23
hmmm......try every business in the UK!
Degrees are not rated at all now, infact they are a dis-advantage I found. I applied for over 75 jobs when I left uni and got interviews for 4. I am now working on a low wage, working my way up the company and doing a few professional qualifications.

Im bitter though :p:

Tribuna DelCavo
16-08-2006, 16:56
hmmm......try every business in the UK!
Degrees are not rated at all now, infact they are a dis-advantage I found. I applied for over 75 jobs when I left uni and got interviews for 4. I am now working on a low wage, working my way up the company and doing a few professional qualifications.

Im bitter though :p:

What Uni? what subject?

pop80_uk
16-08-2006, 17:09
What Uni? what subject?

Staffordshire Uni, BSC(Hons) Buisness & telecommunications technology (with intergrated network engineering)
Im currently studying CIPS, ECDL, COSH and doing a night course in accounting all through work.

Escapee
16-08-2006, 18:18
Same here. In fact, most of the stuff I learned in my degree is massively out of date.

Still, as I was told years ago, a degree, even if you don't use it, is proof you can learn.

That is true to a point, many of the people I come across with degrees learn parrot fashion. Generally the most intelligent design engineers I have worked with do not have degrees, and some of the useless ones have had degrees. I guess it could be something to do with acedemic people not being as creative as a practical person. I don't know?

I don't have a degree, but I certainly think people who studied and earned their degree a long time ago were not handed them as easily as they are these days.

I just sigh, when I'm behind the Hooray Henry's from a neighbouring department in work. The best example is watching them during breakfast trying to master self service with their breakfast, get behind a couple of them I the queue and you can add 10 minutes onto your break time.

The best bit was them one day trying to tell me I should be happy to work late because of the overtime I was getting. I explained to them that I didn't get overtime, and then they started asking questions about grading and salary. They were not impressed and looked down their noses when they found out my qualifications were only City&Guilds, but failed to raise a smile when they found I was earning about £15K a year more than them.

Degrees certainly don't make someone a good engineer, but often makes them think they are. I guess its a bit like ex-squaddies:Yikes:

pop80_uk
16-08-2006, 18:27
Yeah I admit there are alot of gradutes who are know it all's but some of us including me want to have a chance so we can learn from someone like you!

Im never going to enter an area of employment where a guy has been doing a job for 10 years and think that im better than him as I have a degree, what I will do is try to learn as much off the guy as possible. Its all about the attitude of the graduate, not just that they are a graduate.