PDA

View Full Version : wanting to change contracts on mobile phone

ikthius
15-08-2006, 20:07
ok, I am not to used to this sort of subject, so I was wanting to ask a question.

I have a contract with O2 it expires in Dec.
I want to change service provider back to Orange.

I was with Orange for years as a Pay as you go customer.

I have had my number for years and I want to keep it.

is it possible to transfer my number to Orange and start up a new contract with them.
I think I have to terminate my current contract, but is the number transfer manageable?

does anyone have a clue how this all works?

ik

Scrubbs
15-08-2006, 20:09
Isn't the phone number on the sim card?

Stuart
15-08-2006, 20:13
ok, I am not to used to this sort of subject, so I was wanting to ask a question.

I have a contract with O2 it expires in Dec.
I want to change service provider back to Orange.

I was with Orange for years as a Pay as you go customer.

I have had my number for years and I want to keep it.

is it possible to transfer my number to Orange and start up a new contract with them.
I think I have to terminate my current contract, but is the number transfer manageable?

does anyone have a clue how this all works?

ik

Yes, it should be possible. Orange should be able to guide you through the process (they request the number from O2), you may need to ask O2 for a PAC code.

ikthius
15-08-2006, 20:41
Although I originally got my number from orange, took it to O2, now want it back to orange?

ik

Cobbydaler
15-08-2006, 20:46
Yes, if you are on a contract with O2, you'll need a PAC to transfer back to Orange.

You had the same number with Orange for PAYG & on contract?

Bit of info here (http://www.mobiles.co.uk/mnp_pac.htm) on the process of transferring...

ikthius
15-08-2006, 20:56
thanks cobby,

well I was on contract with orange got the number.
then went to pay and go after a year, stayed pay and go for about 3 years, then went to O2 transferred the number to them, that was last dec.

but I am paying lots for my contract and I am still over doing it.

its mainly texting and I was wnating to go for the LG Choc phone on the Dolphin 35 tarrif as this will save me lots of money. Unlimited Text & 550 mins.

ik

Neil
15-08-2006, 20:58
If you're under contract until December, you may need to pay for the remaining months if you are wanting to get out early.

Cobbydaler
15-08-2006, 21:02
As Neil said, they may ask you to pay up your rental cost to December if you want to move now.

But they can't refuse to give you a PAC, as laid out in the link in my previous post. No reason why you can't take your number to Orange.

cookie_365
16-08-2006, 19:30
Incidentally, does anyone know if ikthius' calls to orange will now get transferred to o2 under the first pac, then back to orange under the second, or is the system smart enough to cancel them out?

Enuff
16-08-2006, 20:09
I also have a contract with o2 but it's through CPW. My contract ends 14th Sept. I might go with another provider so called to get my pac code yesterday... the guy said I have to write in for it. yet i'm sure I read somewhere that they should be able to give you the pac over the phone?

BTW the number they told me to call was 0870 111 7200 but this free number does the same job... 0800 049 0049 ;)

superbiatch
16-08-2006, 20:17
I'm in the same position as you Dodger444 (in fact my contract also ends on 14th sept :Yikes:). CPW usually bend over backwards to give you a good deal, so i'm hanging on in there - altho they told me to write in for my PAC code also, when i threatened to go elsewhere for a new contract. They do it cos most people can't be bothered and will just stick with what they know. I'm gonna call their bluff and get it anyway :D And hopefully a shiny new fone with a cool contract ;)

Cobbydaler
16-08-2006, 20:23
I think they only have to give it to you within 2 days of your request...

But see here (http://www.gpshewan.com/articles/2005/05/03/o2-and-the-carphone-warehouse) for a tale about O2 & CPW...

ikthius
17-08-2006, 14:32
well i went for the orange phone.

i am thinking of downgrading my contract, then 2 weeks later asking for my PAC code, then cancel my current contract.

if they give me grief, i will just cancel and accept i have lost the old number.

ik

Enuff
17-08-2006, 17:34
I'm in the same position as you Dodger444 (in fact my contract also ends on 14th sept :Yikes:). CPW usually bend over backwards to give you a good deal, so i'm hanging on in there - altho they told me to write in for my PAC code also, when i threatened to go elsewhere for a new contract. They do it cos most people can't be bothered and will just stick with what they know. I'm gonna call their bluff and get it anyway :D And hopefully a shiny new fone with a cool contract ;)
FREAKY! :Yikes: CPW offered me the blackberry 8700g or the Nokia e61 free with 600 anytime x network mins and 100 texts for £35 over 18 month though. I think i'll wait to see what kind of deal they can do with the n93. Anyone else had a better deal from CPW?

I've been with them 12 month and have only been over my £25 a month once.

King Of Fools
17-08-2006, 18:20
well i went for the orange phone.

i am thinking of downgrading my contract, then 2 weeks later asking for my PAC code, then cancel my current contract.

if they give me grief, i will just cancel and accept i have lost the old number. If you cancel before December you will have to pay out the rest of your contract so downgrading first is a very good idea.

They should still issue you with a PAC if you want to cancel early. If for some reason they refuse, you might as well keep the contract going till December and ask for your PAC then, it will not cost you anymore money. You can port a number into an Orange contract at any time so you would eventually get your old number back!

superbiatch
17-08-2006, 18:44
FREAKY! :Yikes: CPW offered me the blackberry 8700g or the Nokia e61 free with 600 anytime x network mins and 100 texts for £35 over 18 month though. I think i'll wait to see what kind of deal they can do with the n93. Anyone else had a better deal from CPW?

I've been with them 12 month and have only been over my £25 a month once.
I agreed a new deal with them today :D Got sony ericsson k800i for free, 400 anytime x network minutes, 100 texts and an extra 400 texts a month for 12 months. In addition, they also agreed to 10 months half price line rental unfortunately thru a cashback scheme - told them i'd had problems claiming cashback before and he said many complaints had been received (i'm not surpised!) and the process has been simplified :D The only drawback is its an 18 month contract, but I couldn't better that deal and i've done my research :walk:All for £30 a month!

So getting my new toy tomorrow (watch out everyone SB's got a new camera ;)) and will be playing with it all weekend probably (really should get a life)

jellybaby
17-08-2006, 18:47
I did a similar deal with 3, but they credited my account with £275 there and then :) I'm a very happy bunny indeed

Smilie
18-08-2006, 00:12
just want to know
so if i request a PAC number
i will automatically be canceling with my current service provider aswell???

because my 12months contract with vodafone is up in Nov
and want to see if they will give me a new phone and a better deal when the time comes (be doing it in Oct cause of 1 months notice)

last time they wont give me a free phone when i called them
requesting a upgrade (they wanted to charge me)
till i sent them a letter to cancel my contract (they called me back asking what they can do to keep me as a customer)

now if i send them a letter requesting a PAC number when my contract is up
will they still call me to see if they can keep me as a customer??

also will using a PAC number change anything with those cashback schemes??
as the phone number will be differant on the bills
and ill need to send them in to claim the cashbacks

King Of Fools
18-08-2006, 10:03
just want to know
so if i request a PAC number
i will automatically be canceling with my current service provider aswell???
Not quite.

Only by requesting and then using a PAC will you automatically cancel your current contract.

If you request a PAC they will know that you are thinking about leaving but unless you use it within a month you will continue your current contract.

ikthius
18-08-2006, 11:43
so what your saying, is I don't have to say I am cancelling, i just request the PAC, use it with the new phone within a month, and the old contract is cancelled?

so that means, they will bill me for whats left?

ik

King Of Fools
18-08-2006, 11:55
so what your saying, is I don't have to say I am cancelling, i just request the PAC, use it with the new phone within a month, and the old contract is cancelled?

so that means, they will bill me for whats left?
Yes, that is correct.

Enuff
18-08-2006, 18:27
sounds like a good deal superbiatch.