PDA

View Full Version : Where to go out & what to do

littld
12-08-2006, 23:51
Hi people. I need some help really desperately.

My wife and I have had some problems recently. We've been married over 10 years. We've talked about our various issues and one thing came up - we don't go out. Ever.

The last date we had was also the first and was before we got married. She's asked me for a second date. But I have to decide where and what we do. The only thing I can think of is going out for a meal.

Can any of you share what you do when you go out. I am not very short of cash, just ideas. I'd like to avoid drinking, and feel a bit too old for nightclubs.

Please post your suggestions here and I'll try them out. One way or another I need her to feel a bit less neglected.

Thanks!

Stuart
12-08-2006, 23:53
It'll cost a bit, but what about going over to Paris on the Eurostar and finding a little restaurant there.

Bit more romantic than most places in England.

kronas
12-08-2006, 23:55
It'll cost a bit, but what about going over to Paris on the Eurostar and finding a little restaurant there.

Bit more romantic than most places in England.

got to agree with that, or just go to spain or italy, sometimes two people need a change of surroundings, to relax and mingle, it doesent have to be long a few days, but it may do you both some good :)

if your really skint.....local chippie it is :D

Maggy
13-08-2006, 00:06
Hi people. I need some help really desperately.

My wife and I have had some problems recently. We've been married over 10 years. We've talked about our various issues and one thing came up - we don't go out. Ever.

The last date we had was also the first and was before we got married. She's asked me for a second date. But I have to decide where and what we do. The only thing I can think of is going out for a meal.

Can any of you share what you do when you go out. I am not very short of cash, just ideas. I'd like to avoid drinking, and feel a bit too old for nightclubs.

Please post your suggestions here and I'll try them out. One way or another I need her to feel a bit less neglected.

Thanks!

Take her to a London show.Something that she may have fancied seeing for ages.

Cobbydaler
13-08-2006, 00:07
You're quite near, so why not go up to The Lakes for a day? A cruise on a lake, a meal in the evening...

You could even drive back the same day if it was too expensive to get a B & B...

danielf
13-08-2006, 00:12
hmmm. So what do you guys normally do? Do you ever go out for meals? Do you go on vacation at all?

littld
13-08-2006, 00:30
hmmm. So what do you guys normally do? Do you ever go out for meals? Do you go on vacation at all?

We have been on a few holidays abroad with the children. We do attend weddings, funerals, things like that. We do family days out. The only thing we do together (without the kids) outside the house is grocery shopping.

Thinking about it, I should have known something was up...

Cobbydaler
13-08-2006, 00:35
See if you can get Grandparents or friends to take the kids for a weekend.

Then do as suggested, go to Paris, London, The Lakes or wherever to get a break....

danielf
13-08-2006, 00:46
We have been on a few holidays abroad with the children. We do attend weddings, funerals, things like that. We do family days out. The only thing we do together (without the kids) outside the house is grocery shopping.

Thinking about it, I should have known something was up...

I was going to say there appears to be a problem here :)

Do anything really. If possible, dump the kids somewhere for a couple of days, and go for a (romantic) break somewhere. If that's not possible, get a babysitter and do whatever you want to: movie, dinner whatever. It sounds like you need to re-assess your relationship, consider what common interests you have (outside the kids) and find some activities that you both enjoy. Have fun together...

Chris W
13-08-2006, 01:20
Go for a day trip to a city you haven't been to before... you can spend quality time together wondering round exploring (shopping/ museums/ parks etc whatever is your think) plus go out for a meal...

LSainsbury
13-08-2006, 09:40
We do attend weddings, funerals, things like that.

You attend funerals as a day out? :Yikes:

I think you need counciling!!!

Ramrod
13-08-2006, 10:09
Stuck in a rut......I know the feeling, we are much the same. Long work hours, kids and just general knackeredness can all take their toll on a relationship. Whilst it can help, I'm not sure if looking to do things outside the home is the answer. First and foremost you have to be happy together in the home. The main thing is to be happy with what you have already got......imho

kronas
13-08-2006, 18:12
Stuck in a rut......I know the feeling, we are much the same. Long work hours, kids and just general knackeredness can all take their toll on a relationship. Whilst it can help, I'm not sure if looking to do things outside the home is the answer. First and foremost you have to be happy together in the home. The main thing is to be happy with what you have already got......imho

i agree with you.....in a way, but being stuck indoors with kids, or without them can be boring, sometimes a change of scenery is needed just to freshen things up a little, in the end it does ultimately boil down to communication wherever you are.

Jules
14-08-2006, 12:23
Take her to see a film and then for a meal :)

ZrByte
14-08-2006, 13:02
Take her to see a film and then for a meal :)

Very cliche but supprisingly effective. I suppose it depends what she wants, she may not want a long travel to somewhere, it might just be she wants to get a bit dressed up and go out, just the two of you.
Then again I dont know her and Paris may not be far enough for her!! Whats New Zealand like this time of year? :D

Paul K
14-08-2006, 13:24
Does your wife have any interests/ hobbies? If so why not have a look around to see if there are any events coming up you can take her to so that you can prove yourself to be paying notice of her hobbies etc. Failing that a cheap and easy thing to do is get some food together and a bottle of drink, grab a blanket and head for a local country park for a quiet picnic while the weather is nice.
If that's not what you feel like doing then you could try an evening out at a show/ film followed by a meal, a weekend away somewhere nice and quiet or even agree to make time once a week to just go out for a walk together somewhere so that you get some time together without kids etc interfering.

Damien
14-08-2006, 14:19
Eurostar and Paris is a good idea.

but continue to go out for films/dinner every so often

handyman
14-08-2006, 14:41
Have you thought about having a dinner party, perhaps it's the company of other your lacking? We had a few friends over for a bbq the other weekend and they stopped over so they could have a bevvy. We both enjoyed having them there.

As for going out, your only 34 so by no means past having fun. You could try swimming, table tennism badminton..... the list is endless and you get fit as well.