PDA

View Full Version : Cable modem going tits up!

budwieser
12-08-2006, 21:08
Hi All,
Are there any tests i can do on my Terayon Terajet 210 as i think it`s going Tits up.!:erm:
Over the last three weeks, its got slower and slower to the point that i can`t even run a speedtest from the Cable Forum website.
Also the Cable led on the Modem turns off and then on again quite frequently as if it`s dropping the connection.
Can i get this replaced through customer services ? Or can one of you Good people on here that works for NTL do some kind of magic and get me sorted out PDQ.! :D
Overall web browsing is slower than Dial up!
I`m on a 10 meg connection by the way but it was just as bad when i was back 0n 2 and 4 mb.
Any ideas.? :shrug:

mmm
12-08-2006, 21:53
no there are no tests you can now do with the TJ210. I can still use docsdiag on mine when it is offline but that's not a lot of use!

The modem probably is 5 years old and even in the best of health won't handle 10Mbps properly. [I could speed test to about 8Mbps but seemed only to get 5 or 6 in actual big file downloads, this modem only has a 10Mbps half-duplex ethernet port]

The cable light means its the NTL cable side that has a problem. You need to call NTL and get an engineer visit to inspect the cable and hopefully replace your old modem with a new ntl 250.

Only if you don't get any joy through the normal route should you need extra assistance from posters on here!

budwieser
12-08-2006, 22:14
Cheers Mate. Just what i suspected.:tu:

zuke_duke
12-08-2006, 22:52
After having a fault free connection for years, I started to get intermittent service after the 2 to 4 MB upgrade. I suspected the old Terajet might be the problem, particularly in that hot spell. Ntl: sent an engineer out, and as soon as I told him on the doorstep that I'd got a terajet he got a 250 from the van, plugged it in and everything's been perfect since ...

;) He suspected that all the old Terajets were causing problems after the upgrade.

SnoopZ
12-08-2006, 23:05
Cheers Mate. Just what i suspected.:tu:

Here's a hammer mate! :D

budwieser
12-08-2006, 23:10
After having a fault free connection for years, I started to get intermittent service after the 2 to 4 MB upgrade. I suspected the old Terajet might be the problem, particularly in that hot spell. Ntl: sent an engineer out, and as soon as I told him on the doorstep that I'd got a terajet he got a 250 from the van, plugged it in and everything's been perfect since ...

;) He suspected that all the old Terajets were causing problems after the upgrade.
Mine`s been crap since the 2 to 4 meg upgrade! Still can`t get it to stay on 10 meg! tried 4 times now.

---------- Post added at 23:10 ---------- Previous post was at 23:09 ----------

Here's a hammer mate! :D
Thanks Dude! Lol.:D That`ll be my next step after phoning CS.

Mick Fisher
13-08-2006, 18:05

:LOL:
My Tjet packed up completely recently. All I got from the engineer who called was a replacement transformer and a load of Bull***t that the Tjet DOES do 10meg and it was my computer that was limiting my transfer speed to 8.1meg.

I guess he was a Company Guy. :PP:

Nedkelly
13-08-2006, 23:42
;) :) Most techs in this area will change Tjets as they fall over when the qam is changed to 256 .And you cant see what they are doing ie 192.168.100.1.I have seeen a lot causing problems with speed issues mainly 10 meg