PDA

View Full Version : At a loss

FedUp2Death
11-08-2006, 23:34
hi,,just joined.
very sorry for the new thread ,probably seen thousands before.
I just am at the end of my tether.
Having been an ntl customer for donkies years and having complained sooo many times im at breaking point ,,i want to scream !

One day my connection is good, but for the next 3 could be really bad.
I have an intermitant connection problem and have been complaining regulaly.
I always get the same response and have to go through the same routines, all of which accomplish nothing.
Hours spent on the phone to the non existant support and finaly when they do answer you just get shunted through the same routine. Drivers ,firewalls,trojans,tracerouts,all the usual rubbish .
When you send them proof (screenies of speed test results) they dismiss them thinking you know nothing of pc,s or networks.

Currently suffering from bad pings to uk ,europe,usa,and asia servers, packet loss of upto 50%,
download speeds that are half what they should be , web pages are loading the same speed as a 56k,,all in all its a joke for what i pay.

This is a continuous problem and i am sick of it.

I need a new isp,,any ideas ?
any help gratefuly accepted.
many thx.

budwieser
11-08-2006, 23:39
Hi Mate and :welcome: to CF.
Hope you enjoy your stay here with us. ;)
Here`s what i get ...................... Can`t even run a speed test and i`m on a 10 meg connection!:Yikes: :disturbd: Think i`ll be off to SKY soon.:tu:
Everything was ok until the free upgrades.
£34.99 for this ****e...... I don`t think so.

Hatchet
13-08-2006, 23:33
Hello,
I have exact same problems. Sometimes i cant believe these people can actually supply such a poor quality connection and it not be illegal. When the service is poor i especially feel it in online games such as having so much packet loss i have to run through the same door 3 times.
I originally upgraded to 10mb to get away from the apparent unsolvable packet loss issue's i had on the 2mb line.
If you do move to sky please post back on how the quality of the line is. Also if anyone else has had any problems with packet loss and solved it please also reply as im also tired of having this pakcet loss for over 3 years.

ps sorry for ranting.

Enuff
14-08-2006, 00:02
Welcome to the forum guys... it is a bit slow tonight isn't it!

Sun, 13 Aug 2006 22:01:01 GMT

1st 512K took 5875 ms = 87.1 KB/sec, approx 718 Kbps, 0.7 Mbps
2nd 512K took 1484 ms = 345 KB/sec, approx 2843 Kbps, 2.78 Mbps
3rd 512K took 2953 ms = 173.4 KB/sec, approx 1429 Kbps, 1.4 Mbps
4th 512K took 2563 ms = 199.8 KB/sec, approx 1646 Kbps, 1.61 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1659 Kbps, 1.62 Mbps

I'm on the 10mb

Hatchet
14-08-2006, 00:26
Hello again,
Has been a bit slow tonight, but then again its been slow all week here. It tends to be more slow than it is fast. Some weeks its alright the the next week would be terrible. Its up and down more times than a rollercoaster(if i was on this rollercoaster i probably would have lost my dinner multiple times by now). Lets see what its like tomorrow.

Goodnight

Goss
22-08-2006, 16:27
Another satisfied customer i see ...heh heh!

Seriously though what's happnin? I have been with ntl for ages n ages i just accept the way ntl are (maybe i should maybe i should not? who knows who cares whatever) In general i have always found their services ok for me, it's the admin part that has always been pants, i mean i never quite know where i am with the billing side of it all, i always thought it was fixed bills, ya know a fixed telephoned agreement but my bills are different each month and i'm finding BB 4mb is up n down like a pair of whores knickers. I pay (telephoned agreed) £40.99 per month for my telephone line rental, digital tv and 4mb bb, but the next months pricing will change (usualy higher) i have actualy seen thread/posts where people pay less for the same services, i mean what's that all about (should be equal). Heh heh, i felt i had to say something, oh and 4mb broadband is know back to 2mb. Still what can one do, i mean we are bound to there agreement by law i believe.

Hey ya have a nice day then.

FedUp2Death
22-08-2006, 18:34
Well they said it was the modem,,but it was not.
How do i know,,well the service was dire until 3am every day.
At 3 am it was flying,,so not modem,,just ratios i think.
Anyway got new modem,and things are cool again,,but i got a feeling the service will start to get worse by the end of the month.

DanTheMan
24-08-2006, 10:00
Mines running like a dog, 1MB but getting about 56K on various speed tests (a bit too slow to run this speed test) so its like having an old dial up modem !!

Will phone up and try diagnostics soon, am interrogating my modem at the mo as my downstream snr seems to drop below 20db occasionally, loads of pings timeout

Chimaera
24-08-2006, 14:06
56k! Luxury - I've just done a speed test and we are getting 39 - I know we're only on 1 meg but this is silly. Our connection has been pretty bad all week - but I'll wait for Paul to come home and talk to CS as they only blind me with science and long words. ;)

RossUK
24-08-2006, 14:52
I could probaly quote this whole thread so far as I seem to be affected by the same/similar problem.

This site took 15 seconds to load, this thread took a further 15 seconds to load but to reply to this thread was almost instant (like it should be)

Other sites i've tried to load have timed out on me and my modem has been resetting itself alot, more often between 19:00 and 21:00

Seems very random at the moment but something needs fixing :erm:

jonholyfield
28-08-2006, 23:23
I groan when one of my customers says they are with NTL.

Then I bang my head on the desk. Just to get it out of the way.