PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Namche Bazaar

altis
11-12-2003, 13:30
Now this really is showing off! We're in one the highest internet cafes in the world (alt 3441m) paying a staggering GBP4 for 30 mins surfing on a shared 128kbps line - and we moan about NTL's prices. Mind you, Namche is a long day's walk freom the nearest airstrip and another 6 days from the nearest road.

We've had a wonderful time trekking for nearly three weeks in the Solu-Khumbu region of Nepal. We met Apa Sherpa (13 times Everest summit), saw a 2000 year-old Buddhist prayer book in Thame monastery, saw all the Gokyo lakes and the view from Gokyo Ri (including Everest and three other 8000m peaks), crossed the Ngozumba glacier (longest in Asia) and the Cho La pass (5368m) and visited the monasteries of Pangboche and Tengboche. Best of all, we've met some wonderful, friendly and generous people. Recommended.

Sociable
11-12-2003, 13:42
Don't forget we all want personalised postcards and a stick of rock with "Show Off" written all the way through. :)

Happy for you altis have a great time.

Nice to know somebody on NTL is "On top of the World" :D

swoop101
11-12-2003, 13:43
Now this really is showing off! We're in one the highest internet cafes in the world (alt 3441m) paying a staggering GBP4 for 30 mins surfing on a shared 128kbps line - and we moan about NTL's prices. Mind you, Namche is a long day's walk freom the nearest airstrip and another 6 days from the nearest road.

We've had a wonderful time trekking for nearly three weeks in the Solu-Khumbu region of Nepal. We met Apa Sherpa (13 times Everest summit), saw a 2000 year-old Buddhist prayer book in Thame monastery, saw all the Gokyo lakes and the view from Gokyo Ri (including Everest and three other 8000m peaks), crossed the Ngozumba glacier (longest in Asia) and the Cho La pass (5368m) and visited the monasteries of Pangboche and Tengboche. Best of all, we've met some wonderful, friendly and generous people. Recommended.

your right, you are showing off.
It's alright for some, enjoying yourself while we are hard at work.

Lend me some dosh and I can see for myself :D

Ramrod
11-12-2003, 13:43
Altis...I hate you, you bast*rd ;)
Have a great time m8! :D

homealone
11-12-2003, 13:46

Hey Altis, - how cool is that, this interweb thingy could really catch on:)

Glad you are having such a great time - thanks for thinking of us, will look forward to some nice piccies when you get back.

Gaz

Nemesis
11-12-2003, 14:31

Well, this may start a trend .... who can post from the wierdest locations ...

I'm currently sitting on top of Ayr's rock in Australia, views are wonderful ... satellite comms is a little slow, but hey ... moving off to Perth a little later, and will take in the sights of Sydney before I'm back for Christmas .... oh, you want proof ... bugg3r ... :D

Altis, kudos, ya bluddy showoff :D :tu:

peachey
11-12-2003, 15:06
Well, this may start a trend .... who can post from the wierdest locations ...

I was thinking that very same thing
as I was abseiling down the eiger this afternoon

basa
11-12-2003, 15:22
Well dunno about weird locations, but I was wandering across the Aristarchus valley (on the NW edge of the Oceanus Procellarum) earlier this week, but couldn't get a good comms signal on my wifi / lappie. I needed to check my emails.

:rolleyes:

homealone
11-12-2003, 15:34
Well dunno about weird locations, but I was wandering across the Aristarchus valley (on the NW edge of the Oceanus Procellarum) earlier this week, but couldn't get a good comms signal on my wifi / lappie. I needed to check my emails.

:rolleyes:

shirley there are cyber cafÃÃâ€*’©s on the moon? :p:D (Wane & Gibbous plc have one afaik - turn left at Mare Fecunditatis:))

Chris
11-12-2003, 15:40

You're sitting on top of a mountain in Nepal with views of Everest and a stunning glacier ... and posting on nthellworld. :eek: You are either highly committed to the cause, or highly sad having probable cause for being committed. Either way I am unbearably envious and will hate you forever.

Send us some piccies, you jammy get!

:D

peachey
11-12-2003, 15:48
You're sitting on top of a mountain in Nepal with views of Everest and a stunning glacier ... and posting on nthellworld. :eek: You are either highly committed to the cause, or highly sad having probable cause for being committed. Either way I am unbearably envious and will hate you forever.

Send us some piccies, you jammy get!

:D

at £4/half hour intenet access I spect he's signed off by now

Sociable
11-12-2003, 15:57
at £4/half hour intenet access I spect he's signed off by now

Yeti might be back later. :)

homealone
11-12-2003, 16:02

:rofl: - we will just have to sasquatch this space;)

Ramrod
11-12-2003, 16:18
:rofl: - we will just have to sasquatch this space;)
*groan* :D

basa
11-12-2003, 16:22
shirley there are cyber cafÃÃâ€*’©s on the moon? :p:D (Wane & Gibbous plc have one afaik - turn left at Mare Fecunditatis:))

Ain't Google great !!!! :p :p

Sociable
11-12-2003, 16:22
*groan* :D

No I hear they "Howl" more than groan but then again if they are with NTL........

whomenoyou
11-12-2003, 16:24

I'm sorry but that was abominable. ;)

Sociable
11-12-2003, 16:29
I'm sorry but that was abominable. ;)

Snowman it's cool. :cool:

Marge
11-12-2003, 16:32
Snowman it's cool. :cool:

No No it was Nepalling :erm:

Sociable
11-12-2003, 16:40
No No it was Nepalling :erm:

I wouldn't want Tibet nobody makes a worse pun LOL

Nemesis
11-12-2003, 16:43
Come on people, just give it a Everest .. :D

Sociable
11-12-2003, 16:57
Talking of Everest despite being a Sir many thought Edmund a bit girly, what with his surname and all but despite Tenzing him he never got mad Norgay for that matter. :D

OK i will stop now. LOL

Paul
11-12-2003, 19:09
<groan> .......... trots off to get the shotgun .........

Stuart
11-12-2003, 20:02
And just think, I only came to Peking here....

Sociable
11-12-2003, 20:54
And just think, I only came to Peking here....

DUCK!!!!! Pem is getting his shotgun.

altis
15-12-2003, 21:40
I'm back - did you miss me? (No, on second thoughts, don't answer that).

Brain still a bit addled as we got up this morning at 04:30 and now it thinks it is 03:23 the next morning, er, well work it out for yourselves. Nepal is 5.75 hours ahead of us.

Anyway, here's a pic for you. It was taken from Gokyo Ri (alt 5300 and something). The big lump in the middle is Everest and on the right is Lhotse (the fourth highest in the world - I think). I will sort out some more over Christmas.

Sociable
15-12-2003, 21:47
Is that your laundry on the line? :)

Welcome home bro as you see we had some fun while you were away. LOL