PDA

View Full Version : Jolly Boys Outing

Hom3r
09-08-2006, 18:00
Me and a mate are looking at going to Orlando, Florida next year.

When is the best time to go, so as to avoid the Hurricane season, and big queues at the main attractions, I don't think the heat will be to much of a problem.

Graham M
09-08-2006, 18:04
October's quite good if i remember correctly, Im sure Punky will be able to reply better

Paul K
09-08-2006, 18:10
We went early August and it was hot, not too wet and no major storm activity. Go too early in July and you hit school hols etc in the local area and believe me that's not fun lol

Hom3r
09-08-2006, 18:13
I just thought what about the mosquitos, and rain, I'l rather not go when its to wet.

I last went in April 92 it was about 85 degrees, and rain at about 2pm ever day.

punky
09-08-2006, 18:21
Depends on what weather you want, warm, or very hot.

Any time outside school holidays is reasonable. The dead cheapest times are Jan, Feb & November. Weather isn't scorching, but pleasantly warm without the humidity. If you want typical Florida weather then may-june is probably the best as its before the hurricane season starts and the kids are still in school (its mid season - avoid half terms by as much time as you can for the best rate).

Hom3r
09-08-2006, 18:24
When is the hurricane season?

punky
October is OK as the hurricane season should have ended by then (technically, but not guaranteed...) but you have to avoid the 2 week half-term holiday corridor.

Actually, now some schools are going 6 terms, its really hard trying to avoid the kids. Best thing to do is go on your local council website and get the lists for schools holidays, both 3 and 6 term.

Paul K
Mosquitos??? Never even saw one, might be worth checking in with Punky to see if he knows the major school holiday periods over there as they would be a no-no (and the ones over here too for that matter). As for rain, try here (http://www.kingdommagictravel.com/disneyworld/weather.htm) for a rough guide of the Orlando weather, might help you get an idea.
Aha the Punkster has posted while I was typing ;)

punky
09-08-2006, 18:30
When is the hurricane season?

As the song goes...

June - its soon
July - it might
August - it must
september - remember
october - all over

If you want to be more specific, there is an excellent hurricane tracker here (http://www.wftv.com/hurricanetracker/index.html) It does 2005 as well for a comparison.

---------- Post added at 18:30 ---------- Previous post was at 18:27 ----------

Mosquitos??? Never even saw one,

Lucky sod... They're a damn nuisance and active from sort of may - september.

might be worth checking in with Punky to see if he knows the major school holiday periods over there

Good point. Their holidays are roughly inline with our 3 term schools, except that they don't get half term holidays. Also, their holidays are a bit shorter. The only difference is that US kids break up for summer a bit earlier than us, and go back a bit earlier. They go back mid August, and they normally get out in mid june. Again, its worth checking with a US school's site for a semester (US word for school term) list.

Charlie_Bubble
09-08-2006, 18:59
One thing to remeber is that at the end of September some of the theme parks switch to their winter opening hours schedule so they close earlier.

Fingy
09-08-2006, 22:09
We got caught in hurricane Wilma last year in October, though most of it didn't hit around the Disney area so it was just like a stormy day.

My hubby works for the IT part of a large American insurance company on the claims side and is always on hurricane watch, he says its really mid to end November that the season officially ends... though there are statisically less storms in October.

So if you can explain why I've decided to go for 3 weeks over June and July let year let me know. :erm:

If you want or need any advice on what way is best to "hit the parks" and avoid the queues PM me as I am an obsessive Florida over-planner and could point you in the right direction. :)

Fibonacci poem
09-08-2006, 22:15
Me and a mate are looking at going to Orlando, Florida next year.

When is the best time to go, so as to avoid the Hurricane season, and big queues at the main attractions, I don't think the heat will be to much of a problem.

best thing to do over there is get up early and hit the shows/rides you are interested in and have three or four goes on/in it when everyone else is stuffing their faces full of pancakes in the Ponderosa (and similar) all you can eat breakfast deal. This is especially true of Wet & Wild where all the rides remain virtually empty till about 9am when tubby crowds start to gather for the rest of the day.