PDA

View Full Version : New PC coming. Installing the software...

flatley
08-08-2006, 14:10
... are there any pitfalls I should be aware of? I have the original install disk so, should this install OK?

MovedGoalPosts
08-08-2006, 14:15
Don't use the ntl disk is the big pitfall, not needed unless you want USB connection.

Just power off your modem, plug in ethernet to the PC, power on modem, let settle, power on PC and you should be up and running. STB connection also needs the power off bit, but you'd have to register your new PC on ntl's servers - you should get taken to that screen automatically the moment you try and brwose to something on the internet.

flatley
08-08-2006, 14:38
Good tip! Thanks!

atpcz
09-08-2006, 16:03
yeah i foolishly installed the software on a brand new Dell XPS 1710, and it didn't complete, so I restarted the laptop and since then the network card in it disables itself every time i pull out a network cable and then it won't get an IP address until I either restart the laptop (with the cable in), or shove it in Standby and wake it up.

It's VERY annoying and yes I've uninstalled and reinstalled the NIC but to no avail. I need to rebuild it but really can't be arsed right now cos everything is setup and working on it fine.

Damn you ntl engineer and me for being a wuss and saying "ok, i'll shove in the cd")

InsaneNutter
13-08-2006, 23:06
You have to install the software to register your modem anyway, unless you can still go to some website and do it like you could before they started doing them cd things.

Ive never had one of them cd's to install even when we got a new modem, friends and family have, ive set it up for them and never had any problems.

nopcode
14-08-2006, 00:27
You have to install the software to register your modem anyway

Must be on a STB connection then, I've never had to re reg a cable modem ever, just make sure the new pc has nic installed properly, and a reboot of the modem will work fine, just like Rob said. Ive reinstalled/reimaged windows countless times and had at least 4 new pc's , and many more of me mates lappys and pc's for me to fix connected without any problem.

The one thing I would reccomend, is exporting your email accounts from the old pc (if you use outlook to read pop emails), and saving them somwhere safe, its amazing how you can forget an email password after a few years ;)

If you play alot of games, I'd have a look in your "my documents" folder for save games and stuff you might want to copy to the new pc too, when you install the games on the new one they will find the saves if you copy the folders to the new pc's my documents.

Some other things to take into consideration are chat program convo histories, and possibly your "my pictures" folder contents if you have alot of snaps you want to keep.

best regards.

basa
14-08-2006, 08:30
Erm .. I didn't notice anyone suggesting installing AV and firewall BEFORE going on-line !! :(

zing_deleted
14-08-2006, 08:37
well I think its fair to assume that seeing the op has the original disk its not his first venture into bb only a new.Fair point though Basa dont forget your av op lol

flatley
14-08-2006, 08:40
Thanks for the tips!

I have my AV and firewall software copied to an external HD, along with everything I want to put back on the new rig. One thing I didn't think of was the email stuff - good shout there; I'll be looking into that tonight. If I can figure out how! I do use Outlook Express so I s'pose it's just a matter of finding the relevant files.

A question though. I'll be connecting a cable modem (not stb) via ethernet (that's how it is now and should be the same on the new PC) but how does the PC know it's there without installing the drivers from ntl disk? I don't want CorrectConnect on my new PC - going to keep it as gleamingly vanilla as possible and ripped for speed so anything that cut's into that get's disabled pronto ;)

Cheers!

Paul K
14-08-2006, 08:45
The PC will communicate with the modem without drivers as it will know it is a network device and therefor themodem will operate within certain parameters and will communicate a certain way using certain protocols.

mike24
14-08-2006, 08:49
I also have not used the NTL disc, just made the NTL page my default, am using XP home.
Any drivers you need will be on the Motherboard drivers disc or XP should sort it out i had no problems:)

MovedGoalPosts
14-08-2006, 11:37
This article might help : http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?a=13

InsaneNutter
14-08-2006, 23:09
Must be on a STB connection then, I've never had to re reg a cable modem ever, just make sure the new pc has nic installed properly, and a reboot of the modem will work fine, just like Rob said.

Sorry i ment you have to use the ntl cd to install it the very 1st time you use it or go to https://autoreg.autoregister.net Ive never had to re regiter the modem again, not even when we got a replacement ive just powerd it off, connected it to diffrent pc's then finally a router :)

flatley
15-08-2006, 08:31
Can you clarify something for me?

Does this mean the "registering" (or re-registering) of the modem is effectively server side rather than client?

zing_deleted
15-08-2006, 08:34
The modem is registered once when its first installed it does not have to be registered again.

Just plug it all in when the pc is off reboot the modem then switch the pc on jd