PDA

View Full Version : New Install

r1ch
08-08-2006, 12:27
My mother in law just rang to say that she'd had NTL broadband installed.

The installer said that there wasn't enough space to finish the installation so he told her to delete some stuff and then ring the tech support number to finish it off. The computer is about 10 years old and running Windows 98, so I've told her that it's better not to connect that one at all - given that there's no firewall or anything I figure that it'll be infected with something before she even gets to the windows update page.

She has a laptop from work that she could use instead but she reckons that it doesn't have a CD drive. I was thinking about just talking through hooking the cable modem up to the laptop via ethernet. Is it still the case that you can do the registration manually without installing NTL's stuff? If so, how (what is the page address etc)?

(She's about 300miles away otherwise I'd just go over and sort it for her).

Thanks,
Rich.

MovedGoalPosts
08-08-2006, 13:05
Yep you should not need the ntl CD unless you need drivers for USB.

Power off modem (or STB), plug in ethernet, power on modem, and then PC, you should then be able to register with the PIN details ntl supplied.

Only issue with a work supplied lappy is whether it was setup by their IT dept for the specific office network.

r1ch
08-08-2006, 13:09
Thanks for the quick reply.

No problem about changing the ethernet properties if needed - I know what I'm doing there.

Will the browser automatically redirect to the registration page or is there a specific URL that she needs to go to?

MovedGoalPosts
08-08-2006, 13:14
You can try this: http://www.cableforum.co.uk/forum/article.php?a=13

r1ch
08-08-2006, 13:18
Excellent - thanks.