PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia

Dave Stones
11-12-2003, 00:56
I'm just wondering, do some of the people who post here have insomnia, the times of day that they post? I know i find it difficult to open my eyes at some times of night, let alone drag myself to a computer screen...:D

sorry to any of you who may actually be insomniacs, im just curious how many are afflicted by this and how many are just night-owls...

and yes i am aware of the irony of posting this at 1 o clock in the morning... i just got back from work though so am bright-eyed and bushy tailed at the moment. i suppose you could say my sleeping patterns have been destroyed totally by university and work... :rolleyes:

peachey
11-12-2003, 00:59
I'm just wondering, do some of the people who post here have insomnia, the times of day that they post? I know i find it difficult to open my eyes at some times of night, let alone drag myself to a computer screen...:D

sorry to any of you who may actually be insomniacs, im just curious how many are afflicted by this and how many are just night-owls...

and yes i am aware of the irony of posting this at 1 o clock in the morning... i just got back from work though so am bright-eyed and bushy tailed at the moment. i suppose you could say my sleeping patterns have been destroyed totally by university and work... :rolleyes:

yes
I have period when I do not sleep for two or three days
and this is not drug induced

philip.j.fry
11-12-2003, 01:00
I have a serious inability to sleep, don't know why but I usually can't drop off until around 4 in the morning. Once I am asleep I tend to wake up a fair bit but I can remain in bed for hours. It's not because I go to bed late I get up late thus going to bed later, because I have tried staying awake through the whole night and trying to go to bed at a reasonable time the next day...and I still couldn't get to sleep until around 3 :(

kronas
11-12-2003, 01:01
I have a serious inability to sleep, don't know why but I usually can't drop off until around 4 in the morning. Once I am asleep I tend to wake up a fair bit but I can remain in bed for hours. It's not because I go to bed late I get up late thus going to bed later, because I have tried staying awake through the whole night and trying to go to bed at a reasonable time the next day...and I still couldn't get to sleep until around 3 :(

i have the exact same problem :shrug:

maybe i need to be 'stoned' like that illetarate guy in the other thread :p :shrug:

Dave Stones
11-12-2003, 01:02
have any of you ever tried anything to make you sleep? eg night nurse, a bash on the head etc? i know night nurse puts me out for the count...

Maggy
11-12-2003, 01:05
Well it depends.Some nights I can go to bed early but then I wake up at about 3 am and have trouble getting back to sleep.If I time it right other nights get to bed about 12/1 am then I can sleep through.

Time for bed.;)

Incog.

Nor
11-12-2003, 01:07
My sleeping pattern has shifted to staying up late and sleeping late cos I study from home. I usually get at least 10 hours sleep a night, sometimes abit more. Its probably not good for me sleeping for 10 hours though.

I find it easy to drop off though, unless I've got something major on my mind, which isn't often :) I always have my TV on when I fall asleep. Have loadsa tapes full of frasier episodes with all the adverts paused :) Just stick it on, turn the brightness and contrast down to its a black screen, stick an hour timer on it and fall asleep dead quick listening to it.

Its a good idea to get exercise though during the day. I try and do 7 mile a day on my bike. Its not that it makes you tired, more that it regulates your body I reckon and makes you calmer and more relaxed.

kronas
11-12-2003, 01:15
funny thing is im sometimes more alert at night then during the day i tend to think more at night :shrug:

Xaccers
11-12-2003, 01:23
I often work nights, so having people on here up helps :)

Paul
11-12-2003, 01:26
I rarely go to bed before 2am and wake up (get woken up) at 7:30am on school days.

I normally sleep in at the weekend until after 9am (but often don't go to bed until 3am).

Basically I don't need more than about 6 hrs per night (on average).

dieselking
11-12-2003, 01:33
Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m just a night owl. I donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t work at the moment so can stay in bed in the mornings., Also if I go to bed early (EG 11.30) I just donââ‚Âà ‚¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢t go to sleep. Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢ve always stayed up late at night since I was around 19, itââ‚ ¬ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¾Ã‚¢s just the way I am :)

Marge
11-12-2003, 01:48
I can stay up late and then get up for work at 6.45 but have to sleep very late on a sunday to catch up lol

btw not in work tomm so can stay up as late as i want tonight

Mark W
11-12-2003, 01:56
hmmm....its very very rare that im in bed before 3 - even if im really tired, i just lay in bed staring at the celing for hours..... :s

philip.j.fry
11-12-2003, 02:18
maybe i need to be 'stoned' like that illetarate guy in the other thread :p :shrug:

In all honesty, that was the best thing to get me off to sleep.

I have tried some of the over-the-counter remedies and they do help, there was a funny thing where I took one of the boots sleepeze tablets and went to bed, I started to complain about it not working to my girlfriend then passed straight out :)

bopdude
11-12-2003, 02:31
At the moment it's my work pattern that lets me on here at this hour, just got in from working in Slough, 4 hour drive tonight, now sat here with a beer in one hand and typing with the other...lol :)

philip.j.fry
11-12-2003, 02:35
now sa here with a beer in one hand and typing with the other...lol :)

That's the problem with skim-reading, I missed the beer part and imagined something else :D

kronas
11-12-2003, 03:30
That's the problem with skim-reading, I missed the beer part and imagined something else :D

:disturbd: :spin: :no: :sick:

gary_580
11-12-2003, 10:05
i hate going to bed and laying there looking at the ceiling which is why i come here in the early hours. I find if i get up for 1/2 an hour and then try to sleep as second time it often works.

I agree with Nor though, if i cycle for 1/2 an hour in the evening i have no problem sleeping at all.

Chris
11-12-2003, 10:13
I read somewhere that people's sleep rhythms are not all the same length. If it's shorter than 24 hours you are an early bird, if it's longer you are a night owl. I know I'm a night owl - when I first went to Uni I didn't handle the discipline of living alone in Halls at all well and by February of my 1st year I was going to bed at 4am and getting up at 12. Only the need for lunch and lectures prevented me drifting still later! It took a lot of effort to get back to a normal sleep pattern.

Even today I would rather be up late at night, then sleep in, than go to bed early and get up early. It used to really wind me up if we had people visiting the next day and my mum would say, 'you need to be up in the morning, if you want a lie-in, go to bed early.'

livelifecools
20-10-2006, 07:44
Hi guys,

Here the tips for insomnia sufferer.

8 steps to perfect sleep
Know what is normal
>>Knowing what constitues normal sleep can save you a lot of work and worry.
Trying to correct a situation that is not correctable can lead to great frustration and the development of
sleep hygiene.

Look for medical sleep disorders
>>The importance of determining if a medical sleep disorder exists cannot be overemphasized.
No matter how good your sleeping pills you take.

Look for medical or mental disorders
>>Insomnia is a symptom, not a diagnosis. Look to see if a medical or mental condition exists, treating
that condition usually treats the insomnia as well.

Find out about your medication and side effect
>>Many over the counter and prescription medication can affect our sleep by making us drowsy or keeping us alert. It is always wise to ask your doctor
about the potential side effect of any medication you take.

Keep track of your entire sleep wake cycle
>>keeping a sleep diary can bring the picure of sleep hygiene into focus.

Look at your life pattern
>>How you work, live, and play affects how you will sleep at night. Looking at your life pattern
can provide insights into a sleep problem.

Learn to use natural soporific agents
>>Many thihgs in life can make us sleepy naturally and holistically. Exercise and aerobic sex during the day are excellent sleep promoting activities.
Certain foods can promote sleep. It is important not go to bed hungry and what you eat can help or hurt your night's sleep.

Know how to monitor your progress.
>>One of the best ways to monitor progress in overcoming a sleep problem is to continue keeping a sleep diary.

Rgds,
Yeaf
Edit: Rob C - links removed: Please seek approval before linking to commercial sites

Wicked_and_Crazy
20-10-2006, 08:32
strange first post on a near on 3 year old thread

Enuff
20-10-2006, 09:17
strange first post on a near on 3 year old thread
I must still be half asleep too, I just voted before realising how old this thread is!

Jules
20-10-2006, 11:54
As did I Dodger lol

I suffer from insomnia but I am also a nightowl so I voted other, to be honest I could go to sleep now

lauzjp
20-10-2006, 14:40
As did I Dodger lol

I suffer from insomnia but I am also a nightowl so I voted other, to be honest I could go to sleep now

we are suckers for polls eh, I just voted too (got up after midday). :rolleyes: I can't figure out whether I'm an insomniac or nightowl - if I go to bed at 9/10pm, I sometimes wake up at 3am - Anton then gets up at 5am, so I try to stay awake until he's gone to work at 6.15am, then I'll go back to sleep. Hence not getting up til midday - that's if our neighbours cats aren't scratching outside our front door and howling... http://myspace-998.vo.llnwd.net/00946/89/96/946936998_m.jpg http://myspace-219.vo.llnwd.net/00946/91/29/946939219_m.jpg that's our blimmin bed batz is on!? :rolleyes:

gaffer_gump
20-10-2006, 14:52
I work 4 on 4 off, 2 days and 2 nights 7-7 so I am never sure what month it is never mind is it day or night :confused: so my vote will have to be 'other'

lauzjp
20-10-2006, 15:27
this thread has reminded me that I need some more sleeping pills. thank you! even though they don't really work on me - I took five recently and was awake for ages before they kicked in.

Bex
20-10-2006, 17:35
I must still be half asleep too, I just voted before realising how old this thread is!

and me! doh

i suffer from insomnia, seems to depend mainly on my stress levels unfortunately

Maggy
20-10-2006, 18:52
I'm surprised that the poll hasn't finalised after 3 years. :Yikes:

Skatoony
20-10-2006, 19:11
Didn't notice the age of the thread either :erm:

I'm more of a night-owl than anything else ;)

Chris W
20-10-2006, 19:29
Work has ruined my sleep pattern. Some nights 2 hours (or no sleep) then sometime later 14-16 hours sleep to catch up.

TheDaddy
20-10-2006, 20:35
Work has ruined my sleep pattern. Some nights 2 hours (or no sleep) then sometime later 14-16 hours sleep to catch up.

I am pretty sure that it is only babies that can 'catch up' lost sleep, you would be no worse off if you set the alarm for eight hours and carried on as normal

Enuff
20-10-2006, 21:24
I'm awake most of the time, and never want to sleep. But, when I finally do drag myself off to bed, I don't want to get up!

Isn't sleep great when you can get it! :disturbd:

Graham M
20-10-2006, 21:25
I am pretty sure that it is only babies that can 'catch up' lost sleep, you would be no worse off if you set the alarm for eight hours and carried on as normal

Right...

TheDaddy
20-10-2006, 21:45
Right...

Have a look at question 15 then http://www.evms.edu/sleep/sleep-iq.html ;)

Chris W
20-10-2006, 22:41

but 14 hours sleep feels soooo good :)

sueno
08-04-2010, 23:50
hi all i tried dormidina you can get it on ebay and its non addictive and works:angel:

iFrankie
08-04-2010, 23:59
i suffer bad, one time i didn't sleep for 3 days and most nights i don't sleep, thats why you see me roaming around here at daft oclock haha

rogerdraig
09-04-2010, 02:38
i have only ever needed about 4/5 hours sleep plus my asthma wakes or keeps me awake often

maybe i should have voted other lol

Jimmy-J
09-04-2010, 05:47
Voted other. Sometimes I can't sleep (like now) and sometimes I could sleep for England.

marky
09-04-2010, 06:15
I just slept for near 4yrs till this was bumped.

i suffer bad, one time i didn't sleep for 3 days and most nights i don't sleep, thats why you see me roaming around here at daft oclock haha

Student or Chav ?

Maggy
09-04-2010, 09:39
Can I remind everyone to play nicely please.

iFrankie
09-04-2010, 14:40
I just slept for near 4yrs till this was bumped.

Student or Chav ?

No, suffer from depression so i think its caused by that, anything else you would like to share?, thought not :rolleyes:

Raistlin
09-04-2010, 14:52
7-year-old spam magnet thread closed ...