PDA

View Full Version : euro 04 and 'interactive'

danielf
11-12-2003, 00:24
Euro 04 is creeping nearer, and I was wondering what the deal on 'interactive' is going to be on NTL. Now, I'm not expecting proper interactive, but as I recall with the world cup, at least we had the extra channels which gave you a choice of games to watch. With Wimbledon last year, we didn't. I understand the Wimbledon situation actually had to do with some legal issues, but I can't recall the details of them.

Anyway, main question: Will we get the additional channels so we can choose what game to watch for Euro 04 or not?

lemarsh
11-12-2003, 00:29
Seem to remember that Wimbledon (on BBC1) did cover multi-courts - but I think it depended on whether you were NTL or ex-C&W.

Hopefully then, this should be possible to bring, especially as (I believe) Sky are not involved in the screening (only BBC & ITV). This is based on previous world cups/euro's so may be wrong - but I would be surprised if Sky were showing any matches

danielf
11-12-2003, 00:37
Yes, I do recall some people (lucky B******S), posting some screenshots of the interactive service they got(this was multicourt and more). I think they were ex-C&W. So yes, the Beeb did cover multi-courts, but NTL areas were limited to the regular (analogue?) footage...

magpie
11-12-2003, 00:54
Yes, I do recall some people (lucky B******S), posting some screenshots of the interactive service they got(this was multicourt and more). I think they were ex-C&W. So yes, the Beeb did cover multi-courts, but NTL areas were limited to the regular (analogue?) footage...
Well, it certainly wasn't analogue (it was in widescreen), but it was just the standard BBC1 or BBC2 digital feed. I would hope that NTL areas will have received updated software by the summer, and so this will allow for proper multiscreening (do a search on 'original' and 'CR3' to find out more). If they don't provide this, then their TV service can officially be regarded as a joke.

asdf
11-12-2003, 06:07
People living in ex-CWC areas (expcept parts of London) recieved FULL interactive on Wimbledon last year, the exact same service that Sky got.

They have also recieved quite a few other BBC interactive programs since then. Fame Academy was one, IIRC?

Original Areas are still unable to watch multi-screen programs so, unfortunately, didn't recieve anything. This should change when LCR3 is rolled out.

Basically, if the interactive is by the BBC you'll most likely get it, if not, chances are slim currently. However, once LCR3 is rolled out I believe that the amount of Interactive content (for both ex-CWC and orig-ntl) will be increased dramatically.

Derek
11-12-2003, 09:59
By the time this comes around the majority of digital customers should be on CR3 and be able to get the interactive services that the BBC will be providing.

Alanmelon
11-12-2003, 10:09
Although I very much doubt we can expect anything of the sort from ITV.

themelon
17-12-2003, 12:23
A Cant really bare to listen to the ITV Commentators droaning on anyway, its a shambles, id rather listen to another comentry from the radio.

lemarsh
17-12-2003, 13:16
A Cant really bare to listen to the ITV Commentators droaning on anyway, its a shambles, id rather listen to another comentry from the radio.
I'd prefer ITV coverage over SKY & BBC anytime -

th'engineer
17-12-2003, 14:32
I think you will have to wait a bit for two words to come together NTL & Interactive TV do not really make good bedfellows.
So in the meantime Sky or Freeview may be the way to go

trentsteel
17-12-2003, 15:43
The BBCi stuff will be on for ex CWC I imagine, which will be nice, pity for you orig-ntl people if you dont get CR3 in time though

Shaun
17-12-2003, 16:03
By the time this comes around the majority of digital customers should be on CR3 and be able to get the interactive services that the BBC will be providing.

All I can say to that is "ha"

danielf
17-12-2003, 16:59
The BBCi stuff will be on for ex CWC I imagine, which will be nice, pity for you orig-ntl people if you dont get CR3 in time though

Ah, but somehow I don't think I will be on NTL if CR3 doesn't arrive in time. Apart from interactive I'm quite pleased with the tele service, and outside the major sports events, I don't even see myself using interactive that much. But if we don't have some sort of interactive whith at least the multi-screen option come Euro 04, I'm walking...

th'engineer
17-12-2003, 17:09
The BBCi stuff will be on for ex CWC I imagine, which will be nice, pity for you orig-ntl people if you dont get CR3 in time thoughYou mean your interactive works consistantly in ex cwc

trentsteel
17-12-2003, 17:27
You mean your interactive works consistantly in ex cwc

Mine does yes, although other peoples i cannot vouch for, as only the problems seem to come out in this forum and not the good things.

th'engineer
17-12-2003, 17:31
Mine does yes, although other peoples i cannot vouch for, as only the problems seem to come out in this forum and not the good things.
So you can get the EPG anytime and the box does not freeze at any time if you press the interactive button :)

trentsteel
17-12-2003, 17:35
EPG cocks itself up once every few weeks saying its still 4 o clock and it is really 7 for example, but thats about it. The popping sound is annoying when it comes about once a week though. Interactive is fine and dandy :p

Lew
17-12-2003, 18:56

http://homepage.mac.com/lwernham/.Pictures/FlyingPig.png

themelon
17-12-2003, 20:19
You mean your interactive works consistantly in ex cwc

Mine does, I think it depends on the box though. The only time I have to reebot is to reconnect to the internet after a heavy nights dowloading!!!

ppolo99
18-12-2003, 22:26
i will, i getting sky :p