PDA

View Full Version : Welsh

peachey
10-12-2003, 23:09
Lived in Wales all my life

took Welsh for 7 compulsory years in school

never learned much of it
mainly due to the quasi political way they attempt to ram it down your throat

however - was toying with the idea of taking up a night school course in it in the new year - maybe night school or something

anyone got any suggestions

Theodoric
10-12-2003, 23:22
Well, why not try here (http://oldweb.cs.cf.ac.uk/fun/welsh/) to give yourself a little practice?

Bifta
11-12-2003, 00:14

never learned much of it

however - was toying with the idea of taking up a night school course in it in the new year - maybe night school or something

A good idea, I'm currently struggling with irish, thankfully we don't need a whole lot of phlegm to pronounce some of our words ;)

Dave Stones
11-12-2003, 00:50
i struggle with english sometimes :) :dunce:

peachey
11-12-2003, 00:54
A good idea, I'm currently struggling with irish, thankfully we don't need a whole lot of phlegm to pronounce some of our words ;)

maybe you dont need a lot of that

but we cannot understand what you are going on about anyway

the glasgow and belfast cmrs may aswell be speaking chinese

farooq
11-12-2003, 00:55
me no gud at englis at al when writin it as me is lexic an me mama an pa no spek englis an no 1 hlp me wif it so me hav 2 do it al me self an is no eazi me no what me wan 2 say but me no able 2 mak it eazi 2 mak sens 2 yu but it do 2 me sori

Atomic22
11-12-2003, 17:57
whyever would you want to learn to speak a language that isnt spoken anywhere else in the world?
try french or german at least you will have someone to talk to if you venture away from your home town and out into the big wide world.......

Russ
11-12-2003, 18:38

never learned much of it

But you're not Welsh though :confused:

Oh look, Farook has posted in here too...

Chris
11-12-2003, 18:46
I didn't think there was much cause for speaking Welsh in Bolton. :rolleyes:

dieselking
11-12-2003, 21:53
I didn't think there was much cause for speaking Welsh in Bolton. :rolleyes:

LOL Living about 10 miles from Bolton, I can reassure u that no one does speak Welsh up here. Iâ₠¬ÃƒÆ’¢â€žÂ¢m not completely sure Peachey is KA though but I might be wrong :) :shrug:

Theodoric
11-12-2003, 22:04
But you're not Welsh though :confused:

Right, a little question (and no cheating via Google!). Was David Lloyd George (you know, the famous Liberal PM) Welsh?

Stuart
11-12-2003, 22:12
Theodoric, I would guess (and it's a rough guess at that) that,based on the context of your question, he was not..

Nor
11-12-2003, 22:30
Not trying to cause an argument here but why bother ? I'm Scottish myself and never even dreamt of learning gaelic, just don't see the point.

People talk about keeping the language alive and maintaining a sense of national pride etc but its just a load of rubbish to me. There is no value in being able to speak a language which has no benefit. If you want to do something good for your country help the less fortunate people who currently live in it, don't waste time learning a dying language which is dying for a reason, namely because it makes sense for everyone in the world to be able to communicate using the same language.

Not trolling or trying to cause trouble. I am passionately Scottish, just that it doesn't extend to learning a language which is of no use to anyone anymore apart from some strange notion that you are protecting the countrys heritage.

Maggy
11-12-2003, 23:22
Not trying to cause an argument here but why bother ? I'm Scottish myself and never even dreamt of learning gaelic, just don't see the point.

People talk about keeping the language alive and maintaining a sense of national pride etc but its just a load of rubbish to me. There is no value in being able to speak a language which has no benefit. If you want to do something good for your country help the less fortunate people who currently live in it, don't waste time learning a dying language which is dying for a reason, namely because it makes sense for everyone in the world to be able to communicate using the same language.

Not trolling or trying to cause trouble. I am passionately Scottish, just that it doesn't extend to learning a language which is of no use to anyone anymore apart from some strange notion that you are protecting the countrys heritage.

You speak good sense.

How about we just try to maintain the language we still have before the texters all take over.IF we are not careful texting will be the death of all written languages.

Incog.

imback
11-12-2003, 23:26
To all those that said why bother? Why not? It's like learning to play the piano for recreation, it's just something you do for yourself.

Also in Wales it may allow you to get a better job, since the WA came it's been quite an important part if applying for any kind of job there. Also it would give you an advantage if applying for the Welsh police force (especially as a controller of some sorts).

Also I THINK (not 100% sure) but is there not more Wlehs speakers in Wales today than there was 5 years ago, so thus it would not be dieing.

Theodoric
12-12-2003, 17:05
Theodoric, I would guess (and it's a rough guess at that) that,based on the context of your question, he was not..
Correct. Although brought up in Wales and representing a Welsh constituency and known as the Welsh Wizard, he was born in Manchester.

Atomic22
12-12-2003, 18:49
Correct. Although brought up in Wales and representing a Welsh constituency and known as the Welsh Wizard, he was born in Manchester.
i believe the Welsh Wizard plays for manchester and his name is Ryan "god of all things welsh" Giggs not some ancient politician

Theodoric
12-12-2003, 19:24
i believe the Welsh Wizard plays for manchester and his name is Ryan "god of all things welsh" Giggs not some ancient politician
On the other hand, the original Welsh wizard was possibly some obscure character known as Merlin. :)

Theodoric
12-12-2003, 19:26
OK, let's ask the Welsh out there. Is Lloyd George still famous in Wales?

homealone
12-12-2003, 19:34

I'm not sure - but he may have known my father;):D

darkangel
12-12-2003, 20:10
which is dying for a reason, namely because it makes sense for everyone in the world to be able to communicate using the same language.

Not trolling or trying to cause trouble. I am passionately Scottish, just that it doesn't extend to learning a language which is of no use to anyone anymore apart from some strange notion that you are protecting the countrys heritage.was waiting for someone to come up with this one, u say u are passionately Scottish how do u define that exactly?, u should know one of the main reasons the Gaelic languages aren't commonly used now is that for many years they where banned it was illegal to teach or speak Scots Gaelic for a long time it's was and is a tactic of government to suppress possible rebellion of any kind by removing the culture of those people who might rebel what better way to do that than remove the majority language which is what they did.

imback
12-12-2003, 20:13

Aint got a clue who you are talking about if that helps :D

Theodoric
12-12-2003, 21:29
Aint got a clue who you are talking about if that helps :D
Oh dear, oh dear! Either my leg is being vigorously pulled, or they don't teach much history in schools nowadays. :)

Theodoric
12-12-2003, 21:30
I'm not sure - but he may have known my father;):D
Ah, but did your father know him? :D

Theodoric
12-12-2003, 21:32
whyever would you want to learn to speak a language that isnt spoken anywhere else in the world?
try french or german at least you will have someone to talk to if you venture away from your home town and out into the big wide world.......
Not quite nowhere else in the world. A number of Welshmen emigrated to Patagonia.

imback
12-12-2003, 22:16
Oh dear, oh dear! Either my leg is being vigorously pulled, or they don't teach much history in schools nowadays. :)

I aint got a clue who he is, and I left school 10 years ago.

Theodoric
12-12-2003, 22:55
I aint got a clue who he is, and I left school 10 years ago.
He became Prime Minister in 1915 when Asquith was kicked out and remained PM for the rest of WWI and some years thereafter. So, you might say he is why we are not speaking German today. He played a major part in writing the Treaty of Versailles, so you could also say he played an important part in forming the conditions that lead to WWII. Before WWI, he was was Chancellor of the Exchequer and was responsible for introducing Old Age Pensions. All in all, he was one of the major politicians of the the 20th Century.

peachey
13-12-2003, 23:26
Not quite nowhere else in the world. A number of Welshmen emigrated to Patagonia.

Presumably in full Treorchi male voice choir evening dress wandering through rainforests and stuff singing 'Men of Harlech'

carlingman
14-12-2003, 01:43
Presumably in full Treorchi male voice choir evening dress wandering through rainforests and stuff singing 'Men of Harlech'

Well they did actually record Men Of Harlech.

Pedant Mode - It is Treorchy by the way.

:)