PDA

View Full Version : Upstream usage, affecting newsgroup speeds?

SegaMark
05-08-2006, 01:03
Right, I was wondering why since getting 10MBit my download speeds on GigaNews & Astraweb are bouncing like crazy between 400KB/sec and 1MB/sec... On 4MEG I'd be leeching flatout at 480K/sec.

I run a web radiostation that eats 160k/sec upstream, 10MEG has a 500k upload right? When running that and my downloads I'd max out my 4MEG.

I was wondering if my modem is to blame, but I noticed if I turn off my radio stream newsgroups will go 1MB/sec+ stable. I also tried a HTTP download and I got 1MB/sec+ stable, and with my radio site I got the same 1MB/sec+

I assume Newsgroups don't like a bit of my upstream being used. This is really odd.

I'm using GigaNews with 10x connections currently.

I have a feeling this may be in the wrong forum, but it may be connection related perhaps? Bad upstream?

Ta

Graham M
05-08-2006, 01:28
It's a limitation of TCP/IP you need enough upstream bandwidth to be able to send enough Acknowledge packets off and if you dont it has to slow everything down.

Richy99
09-08-2006, 11:19
Right, I was wondering why since getting 10MBit my download speeds on GigaNews & Astraweb are bouncing like crazy between 400KB/sec and 1MB/sec... On 4MEG I'd be leeching flatout at 480K/sec.

I run a web radiostation that eats 160k/sec upstream, 10MEG has a 500k upload right? When running that and my downloads I'd max out my 4MEG.

I was wondering if my modem is to blame, but I noticed if I turn off my radio stream newsgroups will go 1MB/sec+ stable. I also tried a HTTP download and I got 1MB/sec+ stable, and with my radio site I got the same 1MB/sec+

I assume Newsgroups don't like a bit of my upstream being used. This is really odd.

I'm using GigaNews with 10x connections currently.

I have a feeling this may be in the wrong forum, but it may be connection related perhaps? Bad upstream?

Ta

you shouldnt need 10 connections to max out 10meg with giganews you are just wasting connections, you should only use the number of connections to fill the conenction, anything more is waste and can slow things down