PDA

View Full Version : repair a car radiator ?

bob_a_builder
04-08-2006, 21:10
Got a low value 106, which recently (before I got it) had a new radiator, so not rusty or anything, but now we find that in the top couple of sections a leak, looks probably due to someone working on car and hitting it with a screwdriver or similar, don't know why didn't spot when we bought it but we didn't
Def to big holes for radweld type of stuff
Given value of car vs cost of new rad, wonder if its worth filling that area with filler, epoxy or similar.
Of course would have ensure dry etc before application
Just wonder what/if other have tried and (or should I say IF you) had any sucess with

Jules
04-08-2006, 21:12
Have you thought about getting one from your local scrappers?

homealone
04-08-2006, 21:34
Have you thought about getting one from your local scrappers?

good suggestion, Jules, as far as I know it isn't easy to repair a rad from the outside, I am probably wrong, but I keep thinking that blocking any of the water channels could actually block the whole rad???

Taf
04-08-2006, 22:12
Rads are made as small as possible, so blocking off part COULD cause the car to develop overheating problems...

timewarrior2001
04-08-2006, 22:40
most motor factors offer a re-coring service if its the fins that are damaged, its a lot less than a whole new radiator.

bob_a_builder
04-08-2006, 22:49
its actually the horizontal tubes rather than the fins - the fins don't hold any water - although I may have misunderstood your meaning

Since it its only 2 maybe 3 tubes out of say 40 I have thought about just squeezing them down to stop flow thru them,
Assuming I can seal it shouldn't really make that much difference too cooling

Yes of course scrap yards is an option I'm checking - even they've gone on line now you know

The proposed fix is only a short term option, unless of course it works brilliantly

The main problem is I suppose the system is pressurised which is going to work against most simple repalrs

AndrewJ
04-08-2006, 23:05
http://www.poster.net/bob-the-builder/bob-the-builder-bob-waving-4900561.jpg

Had to be done :D:tu:

bob_a_builder
05-08-2006, 08:27
"Can we fix it - We hope we can "

Going to try a bodge repair today, car only being used for Learning so not going far

And now Breakeryard (http://www.breakeryard.com/) have come up with one for £33 inc delivery, so not the end of the world after all

budwieser
05-08-2006, 08:43
"Can we fix it - We hope we can "

Going to try a bodge repair today, car only being used for Learning so not going far

And now Breakeryard (http://www.breakeryard.com/) have come up with one for £33 inc delivery, so not the end of the world after all

Have you tried to get it soldered up yet?

bob_a_builder
05-08-2006, 11:49
No i hadn't considered that option. too late now though ..

Anyway fingers crossed, the epoxy seems to have done the trick, how long it lasts is another matter

I just removed the thin fins in the area of the holes, the holes were just nicks in the edge in the tubes, squashed that part of the tube hard and built up a couple of layers of epoxy over the nicks, after ensuring 100% dry wih hair dryer. Being almost new, no rust or stuff to get in the way of glue
Been on a couple of runs so far, rad very hot but no leaks so far

andygrif
06-08-2006, 17:01
Many scrapyards will not sell radiators as they leak too often, especially if they've been in a shunt.

There's a company in Northampton called NAR (Northampton AutoRads) who will build a new one for you, cheaper than anywhere else I've seen and much better quality. Also, which is what they did for me, is rebuild my old one which is about 20% cheaper than a new one, but still warrantied for a year and comes back in what looks like a bomb proof new casing.

Only thing is they don't fit them for you, but there's a local chap who they recommend who'll do it for about 40 quid. My 406 coupe needed a new one not long ago, cost me 80 quid plus the fitting. Peugeot quoted 150+VAT for a rebuild plus 120 quid fitting. Er..no.

bob_a_builder
06-08-2006, 17:57
thinking we can uncross the fingers now, done 60+ miles - still holding