PDA

View Full Version : Electrician Help

Mike
04-08-2006, 18:55
I need to correct the following as requested on an electrical report on a property

1 No isolation for bathroom extractor fan
2 Phase and earth connections in terminal block above bathroom light fitting.

Any idea on what these will entail and estimated costsââ‚ƚ¬Ã‚¦Ã¢à¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â€šÂ¬Ã…¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦Ãà †â€™Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¢ÃƒÂ¢Ã¢â‚¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ãà ¢â‚¬Å¡Ãƒâ€šÃ‚¦ÃƒÆ’¢âââ‚ ¬Å¡Ã‚¬Ã‚¦

Thanks for any help

Mike

greencreeper
04-08-2006, 18:58
An expert will probably be along, but bathrooms are funny places when it comes to electrics - because of all the water. The fan should have a switch, possibly with a fuse. Shouldn't be hard to fit one, depending on the location and existing wiring. Not sure about the phase and earth thing :erm: Might just not be earthed correctly.

Ramrod
04-08-2006, 19:17
I just spoke to my sparks about your questions and he ummed and ahhhed because it all 'depends' :D. Does the bathroom light work atm?

etccarmageddon
04-08-2006, 19:23
a bathroom isolation switch costs £2 from b and q - it needs to go between the power and the fan and be located either just outside of the bathroom or highup and away from the various water penetration zones. the main cost will be getting to the existing wiring which might involve drilling etc - do you definitely need the work doing?

Mike
04-08-2006, 19:27
a bathroom isolation switch costs £2 from b and q - it needs to go between the power and the fan and be located either just outside of the bathroom or highup and away from the various water penetration zones. the main cost will be getting to the existing wiring which might involve drilling etc - do you definitely need the work doing?

Yes because it's a rental property...............any ideas on the second point and yes everything works fine at the moment :dozey:

Mike

bopdude
04-08-2006, 19:51
Depending on fan type and running conditions you'll need a 3 pole isolator between the power source and the fan.
As for the phase and earth in terminal block, sounds as though something, ( possibly the fan has been 'tapped' off the bathroom light, with not enough space in the fitting for connections they've gone for a choc bloc approach.
Both points shouldn't cost much to rectify.

HTH

Mike
04-08-2006, 19:54
Depending on fan type and running conditions you'll need a 3 pole isolator between the power source and the fan.
As form the phase and earth in terminal block, sounds as though something, ( possibly the fan has been 'tapped' off the bathroom light, with not enough space in the fitting for connections they've gone for a choc bloc approach.

HTH

Thanks for this...............what would be your best guess on cost ! :)

Mike

bopdude
04-08-2006, 19:56
As form the phase and earth in terminal block, sounds as though something, ( possibly the fan has been 'tapped' off the bathroom light, with not enough space in the fitting for connections they've gone for a choc bloc approach.

HTH

Thanks for this...............what would be your best guess on cost ! :)

Mike

Top of my head, £20 for parts + fitting ( 1 - 2 hours ) £50 ish total, pure guess of course without seeing the job, plenty of variables there ;)

Mike
04-08-2006, 19:58
Top of my head, £20 for parts + fitting ( 1 - 2 hours ) £50 ish total, pure guess of course without seeing the job, plenty of variables there ;)

I have been quoted £198.00 + VAT........:(

Mike

bopdude
04-08-2006, 20:01

Mike

What part of the country are you in, I'm moving :D
Seriously though, unless there is something major wrong, i.e complete rewire of said light and fan circuits, your just about to have your eyes taken out.

Mike
04-08-2006, 20:04
Seriously though, unless there is something major wrong, i.e complete rewire of said light and fan circuits, your just about to have your eyes taken out.

As always I don't mind paying a fair price but it really annoyed me when people try and rip others off........ Oh Oxfordshire by the way and thanks for your help.

Mike

bopdude
04-08-2006, 20:07

As always I don't mind paying a fair price but it really annoyed me when people try and rip others off........ Oh Oxfordshire by the way and thanks for your help.

Mike

I'll dig some prices out for you just now, I'm in the middle of cooking dinner :blush: :D

But like I said, there are lots of ifs and buts, by that price, there's either something more to it, or the guys extracting the urine, even if you take into account the north / south price difference I think he's looking to make a little bit of profit. Get a second and or third quote :tu:

And get a quote from a small company as well, you'll find the larger companies quote ridiculous prices, they're of the thought, if I get the job it'll make money if I don't, no hardship, 9 times outta 10 they don't really want the small jobs.

etccarmageddon
05-08-2006, 01:40
I wouldnt accept a quote for anything more than £100. I have done the isolator thing myself - it's easy if you know your stuff and takes a few mins for an electrician.

Mike
05-08-2006, 19:10
Can the isolation switch be wall mounted or does it have to be channelled into the wall ????

thanks

Mike

bopdude
05-08-2006, 20:41
Can the isolation switch be wall mounted or does it have to be channelled into the wall ????

thanks

Mike

Sorry Mike, was gonna get back to you, got drunk and forgot :blush:
It can be wall mounted, surface or flush, ( if surface you'l need to run cables in a trunking or conduit )and ceiling mounted, again surface or flush, the ceiling option is normally the better option as it gives easier access to the wiring from the source ( light ) and to the fan, without the need to chase walls, again, this depends on a few variables.

HTH.

PS, did you get some prices yet ?

Mike
10-08-2006, 12:15

Mike

Update :

I just had a message from the Electrician stating the price also includes a new heater for the bathroom and repositioning the isolation switch to outside the bathroom !

Does that make the quote more reasonable or is it still over the top !

Regards

Mike

bopdude
10-08-2006, 13:43
Sounding a bit better, obviously he's gonna have to install a feed for the heater plus an isolator and of course the heater itself, all in all it's probabley not a bad quote for what he has to do, and again, impossible to say 100% over the net :p:
But yeah, sounds fairly reasonable :tu:

HTH

Mike
10-08-2006, 14:11
Sounding a bit better, obviously he's gonna have to install a feed for the heater plus an isolator and of course the heater itself, all in all it's probabley not a bad quote for what he has to do, and again, impossible to say 100% over the net :p:
But yeah, sounds fairly reasonable :tu:

HTH

Many thanks for this...............only point to mention is the new heater is replacing an existing one so the feed in all ready there :erm:

Regards Mike

bopdude
10-08-2006, 15:10
Mmmmm, well I would say depending on the price of the heater that it's above what I would want to pay, if I was paying, ask him for a break down, have you had another quote ?