PDA

View Full Version : 10Mbit Problem

MidiaN
04-08-2006, 15:40
Hi all. Here's my problem(s): I recently got an upgrade from 4Mbit to 10Mbit, but the download speeds are fluctuating between about 0.6Mbit and 3.2Mbit, and usually closer to the lower end of that spectrum. Strangely, though, my upload always returns the expected result, which is about 0.5Mbit and I can upload at 60kb/s consistently. I'm from Mansfield (NG19) in Nottinghamshire and I have 2 computers connected to the internet using a Linksys router (I dunno the exact model) and a Terayon modem. Today I phoned NTL support to try to sort the problem out, taking their advice, I unplugged the router and tried out a speedtest without the router connected. This didn't solve the problem, the speedtest returned a result of about 3Mbit. What I really want to know is what else could cause this to be the case? Is it the modem? When I was on 4Mbit, with the same modem, I was seeing very close to the full 4Mbit and I'm not even getting 4Mbit on the 10Mbit service. The only firewall I'm running is Windows Firewall, and my router doesn't appear to be the problem since I was getting the same results when it was unplugged as when connected. Is there anything else that could be the cause of this problem? When I first upgraded to 10Mbit, about 2 weeks ago, there was a lot of people in Nottinghamshire complaining about slow speeds, but it seems that everyone else's speeds are back to normal by now.

Here are some speedtests I ran just now:

Fri, 4 Aug 2006 13:28:31 UTC

1st 512K took 4141 ms = 123.6 KB/sec, approx 1018 Kbps, 0.99 Mbps
2nd 512K took 4313 ms = 118.7 KB/sec, approx 978 Kbps, 0.96 Mbps
3rd 512K took 3953 ms = 129.5 KB/sec, approx 1067 Kbps, 1.04 Mbps
4th 512K took 3718 ms = 137.7 KB/sec, approx 1135 Kbps, 1.11 Mbps

Overall Average Speed = approx 1050 Kbps, 1.03 Mbps

To repeat this test from the source server click here (http://homepage.ntlworld.com/paul.marsden/newspeedtest.html?1154698127859).

Adslguide.org speedtest:
Speed Test Results
Downstream1,029.6 Kbps( = 1.0 Mbps ) Upstream446.9 Kbps( = 0.4 Mbps )

Namesco broadband speedtest:
Download Speed: 1164 kbps (145.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 421 kbps (52.6 KB/sec transfer rate)

I've heard the Terayon modem is uncapable of 10Mbit. The NTL guy I spoke to on the phone confirmed this, but added that I should be receiving 8Mbit, and was very confused as to why I'm receiving the max upload speed, but not download speed. Despite this I was unable to convince them to replace the modem. I've been with NTL for about 4 years and had this modem the whole time, is it possible that it's coming to the end of its lifespan? If NTL won't replace it themselves is there anywhere else that I can acquire a modem that will show the full 10Mbit speed?

If you can keep your help quite simple as I'm not very knowledgable with the technical terms and so on that'd be greatly appreciated.

Mick Fisher
04-08-2006, 16:51
I very much doubt the modem is at fault althought anything is possible.
I have a Tjet on 10mb and see just over 8mb most of the time.

I think you need to insist on an engineer's visit to check your signal levels etc. If the problem can be fixed then all well and good but if you happen to live in an area where 10mb is problematical :td:, for whatever reason, then consider dropping back to 4mb which you say worked well.

Don't pay for a service Ntl can't deliver and don't forget to claim a rebate for the service you are currently not receiving.