PDA

View Full Version : Modem keeps screwing up and has done for over 2 years

Xtrm2Matt
02-08-2006, 19:14
Hey,

We've been with NTL since the start pretty much. Way back in 1999 with 56k all the way up to 10mb (then since degraded to 4mb). Since we moved to broadband, we've always had the same modem.

The modem in question is a "Terayon". Quite a tall black thing with 5 lights. Ive always been convinced that it was my router that was playing up, so I bought a new one last week and still having problems.

The problem
I use IRC, MSN, Ventrilo and game a lot online, among other online serivces. I'll randomly get disconnected. Sometimes this happens a lot, sometimes it won't happen for hours. Moreso when I'm using my internet a lot, such as downloading or just surfing the web. Playing online games is just impossible these days. I get unplayable lag (not so much in games such as Counter-Strike: Source, but Battlefield 2 is just absolutly unplayable if there are more than 20 players in a server).

How do I go about asking NTL to give us a new modem? Would they charge us for a new one? Would they ask questions "why" we want a new one, and if so, could they refuse to give us one? There is no doubt in my mind that it is the modems fault as I've only just got a new router and it's still happening.

I've got a feeling it will be hard to get a new modem out of NTL. They'll probably blame my PC, saying it's full of spyware, download this then cut me off.

A bit random, but if I say I dropped it and it's smashed, would they ask for us to send it to them. Also, would they send us the same brand of modem (e.g. another Terayon).

Any help greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Matt

-edit-

Since posting that post, my modem has disconnected me a further 2 times just to give you an idea of how much I get disconnected from just surfing the web.

andyhandy1972
02-08-2006, 21:56
You need to ring ntl and just tell them the lights are flashing and you need a technician to call, ntl only do the new modems not terryon or surfboard, they may blame the pc but be adament that it is very slow when it does connect

Wakar
03-08-2006, 12:16
have pm'd u Matt

Repeat
03-08-2006, 14:32
I am having this problem aslo with my Terayon Tj210 modem The cable light will go out and then i will lose CONN . I tried calling the tech support and they told me they cant send an engineer out because they cant see any problem. so what am i supposed to do now ?

jackqu7
03-08-2006, 19:51
I used to have a Terayon modem, but they're very rare these days.
When it finally got to the point where it was unusable for more than 10 minutes at a time I called CS and they sent an engineer. It took him ages to establish that the modem was the problem but eventually he gave me a new one and I've had no problems since.