PDA

View Full Version : 2 Problems with the BraodBand install CD. Please help.

Ash-Smith
10-12-2003, 15:46
Good Afternoon all.

I used to be on these forums a lot, but then couldn't get NTl in my new house. My Mum has just got BB from NTL (the 150K package) and is having problems so I'm back. Imagine my surprise when I found the website down, and a 'forum Nuke'!

The cable modem is one of the little silver ones. It's not a STB.

Hiya :)

(As a background, I know quite a bit about computers, but this still stumped me).

Ok, Problem number one, on PC number one.

I put the CD in the drive, it spun up, and got to the bit where it appears to "Check the system resources" or something. The icon with a swirly thing over a computer spins, and that's it. It never gets any further! We left it for an hour and it continued to spin! This happens everytime, in either the CD Rom drive, or the CD writer drive! It's running Windows XP on an Epox 8KHA+ with an Athlon XP chip in it.

I got bored of this, so put the CD in my brother's computer to see if it worked. The installation was successful (he opted for a USB connection to the CM). My mother's PC NEEDS to be on-line, so we bit the bullet and bought a router.

The idea behind the router was that we could plug it all together, set up the router, then run the install CD on my brother's PC again. This would register the MAC address of the router (not my brother's PC). Then, My mum, brother and who ever can plug into the router and get a connection! This leads me onto problem number 2:

Problem 2:

When we try to re-install the broadband CD on my brother PC (for the second time) it went through the process until the restart PC bit. We restarted the PC and the 2nd stage of the CD auto-run occurs. At this point , it has 2 windows shown. One says "Error blar blar, I don't know what as I'm at work" in the background. And the window with focus is a bit small, blank, and the title just says "Closing". These windows never close! We restart, and everytime we put the CD in the drive, we get the 2 windows re-appear, and they just hang.

They only go when you kill them off in task manager.

Please help! My mother is getting rather anoyed as she's only had BB for 2 days over the last week!

Please please please.

Thanks a lot (in advance).

Mark W
10-12-2003, 16:15
hiya ash-smith, welcome back :) :wavey:

ok, ignore the router for a second.

have you been able to register yet, on either pc? this is the important bit, because it does not register the mac addy of the pc like you said (thats for people conecting via STB) , rather it registers the mac addy of the cable modem. so once the modem is regged, you dont have to worry about registering the pcs/router behind it.

what im saying in a roundabout way is you dont need to run the cd on either pc.

as you have a router im assuming you have ethernet ports on both pcs? you should be able to plug everything in, setup up the router, then reboot the lot, and you should be online - so long as you have already gone through the registration....

(to register without the cd, go to autoreg.autoregister.net and follow the instructions)

Ash-Smith
10-12-2003, 16:34
Ok mate. Thanks for that.

Yep, we have registered about a week ago (using my brother's PC). My mum had 2 days of blissful broadband goodness!

The PC hooks into the router fine, it get's an IP address fine. So, removing the router what IE settings do I need to set to get the PC (with the failing CD) on the net?

The NIC is set to DHCP?

Thanks.

Mark W
10-12-2003, 16:50
hmmm... you got XP right? you should be able to connect using the cable modem direct or via the router without changing any settings. - tho id always advise rebooting both pc and cm when trying to connect.

one thing to make sure is that your network connection is not setup just for the router - if you go into control panel > network connections > double click on your network card > properties > click on tcp/ip settings > properties, and in there it should be set as 'obtain ip addy automatically' and 'obtain dns server addy automatically'.

Ash-Smith
10-12-2003, 16:55
THANKS GUYS !!!!!!

My brother's PC is now on-line. Now to sort out my mum's. Thank you so much.

I've just raised another thread about the router, and the credentials to enter into it.