PDA

View Full Version : Sky HD Install

MadGamer
02-08-2006, 14:27
We have just had our Sky HD installed today, and i now have the Sky + box upstairs in my room. Now problem is i cant set anything to record on my box but i can set things to record on the HD box. The sky engineer told us that our HD box had to be activated and that this could take anywhere from 10mins to 4 hours. So my question is, when they activate this, will they re activate the recording facility on my Sky + box?

MovedGoalPosts
02-08-2006, 14:59
Presumably you have gone for a multibox user licence?

MadGamer
02-08-2006, 15:08
Presumably you have gone for a multibox user licence? Yeah Sky Multiroom :)

James Henry
02-08-2006, 16:21
Give it the 4 hours then get on the blower if it's not sorted.

MadGamer
02-08-2006, 17:58
Give it the 4 hours then get on the blower if it's not sorted. I thought thats what it might be. :)

---------- Post added at 17:58 ---------- Previous post was at 16:29 ----------

I phoned Sky, and they said it to do with the pairing of the viewing cards to the boxes and it can take upto 24hrs.

iain_herts
02-08-2006, 18:35
hi ok here goes.

pairing of the cards can take upto 4hours not 24. also did the engineer do a call back from both box's

on the sky+ box if u goto channel 301 what message do u get on the screen

MadGamer
02-08-2006, 18:36
Yes he did do a callback on both boxes. :)

iain_herts
02-08-2006, 18:39
ok if u can view all of the preium channels on the sky+ box it means the card been paired but the functions not been turned on.

so goto channel 301 and 401 can u view these.

also wen you press record what message comes up

MadGamer
02-08-2006, 18:52
The recording has now been activated as it was only my box that was affected. We havent got Channel 401 as its the sports channel. and 301 comes up on both boxes.

iain_herts
02-08-2006, 19:46
so what u think of HD sofar iv only been HD trained since last friday and only put one in sofar but the bbc preview is awsom

MadGamer
02-08-2006, 21:15
so what u think of HD sofar iv only been HD trained since last friday and only put one in sofar but the bbc preview is awsom Its absolutly incredible. The BBC HD channel is what my parents are watching now. :)

TheBlueRaja
02-08-2006, 22:13
I cant belive people are buying this... no way is it worth 300 quid up front and 120 quid on top of your normal subscription a year.

The picture isnt even that much of an improvement.

Neil
02-08-2006, 22:20
I cant belive people are buying this... no way is it worth 300 quid up front and 120 quid on top of your normal subscription a year.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

I happen to disagree with you on the picture quality, but I agree on the pricing.

arcamalpha2004
03-08-2006, 11:03

Horses for courses? :)
Dont forget HD is relatively new here, give it 12 months and them costs will come down.
I am a hifi fanatic, you can pay what can be seen as rediculous prices for a cd player, but as it has been said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if you cannot see the difference, or you can but dont feel it justifies the cost dont go for it ;) youve saved yourself some money :)
Have a look at this, £14000 for a cd player and power supply, thats before you buy the amplification and speakers and cables, oops and some cd's, on the pro side, no subs to pay

TheBlueRaja
03-08-2006, 19:35
Horses for courses? :)
Dont forget HD is relatively new here, give it 12 months and them costs will come down.
I am a hifi fanatic, you can pay what can be seen as rediculous prices for a cd player, but as it has been said, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, if you cannot see the difference, or you can but dont feel it justifies the cost dont go for it ;) youve saved yourself some money :)
Have a look at this, £14000 for a cd player and power supply, thats before you buy the amplification and speakers and cables, oops and some cd's, on the pro side, no subs to pay

As a hi-fi lover myself i appreciate the comparison. However if i pay 300 quid for a CD player i dont expect to have to pay another tenner a month for the better sound quality it gives me.

Likewise, if i buy a funky HD-DVD or Blu-Ray DVD player i wouldnt expect to be paying a monthly subscription on top of that either to keep being able to watch the service without it being crippled to less than DVD quality picture.

arcamalpha2004
04-08-2006, 00:00
As a hi-fi lover myself i appreciate the comparison. However if i pay 300 quid for a CD player i dont expect to have to pay another tenner a month for the better sound quality it gives me.

Likewise, if i buy a funky HD-DVD or Blu-Ray DVD player i wouldnt expect to be paying a monthly subscription on top of that either to keep being able to watch the service without it being crippled to less than DVD quality picture.

I can see your point, however what is the extra tenner a month for? have sky said its for the better quality picture? i dont know.
But I know life is all about choices, you pay what you feel right for a service, as I said earlier give it a year or so and them prices will come right down, unless you cant wait to get on the hd bandwagon :)

TheBlueRaja
04-08-2006, 10:00
I can see your point, however what is the extra tenner a month for? have sky said its for the better quality picture? i dont know.
But I know life is all about choices, you pay what you feel right for a service, as I said earlier give it a year or so and them prices will come right down, unless you cant wait to get on the hd bandwagon :)

The extra tenner is to recieve the HD channels, so just to reiterate, even if you buy Sky sports and Sky movies if you dont pay an extra tenner you DONT get the HD channels.

Also i doubt the price will come down, you still have to pay an extra tenner for Sky+ although that is available for nothing if you have 2 premuim channel packs e.g. Sky SPorts 1, 2 and 3 which makes it a much better package IMO.

I dont see why if you pay for Sky Sports or Sky Movies packages you should be asked to pay an extra tenner specifically just to the the Movies HD channel which after all IS JUST a better picture.

MadGamer
21-08-2006, 19:29
We have a really weird problem with the HD Box, this morning we could recieve ITV 1 and now we cant. we get a "Satellite signal unable to be recieved" or something along those lines. All other channels are fine.