PDA

View Full Version : New Sofa - Recommendations?

Nugget
01-08-2006, 22:55
Having finally accepted that 6 years of feline abuse has resulted in an urgent need to buy new sofas, Mrs Nug has been looking around, and found what looks like a good deal in Argos - has anyone got any experience of the sofas from here and, if so, would you recommend them?

Basically, would it be a case of, if a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is?

TIA :tu:

greencreeper
01-08-2006, 23:02
I would say that you need a place where you can sit on what you're buying. It might look great but if your **** is sweaty and numb, not much use, is it?

Ikea has a wide range.

homealone
01-08-2006, 23:10
I would say that you need a place where you can sit on what you're buying. It might look great but if your **** is sweaty and numb, not much use, is it?

Ikea has a wide range.

true, but Leeds is a long way, away - especially for any of their football fans who may have visited Blundell Park, for the 1-1 draw, recently - they just can't play anyone in stripes ;)

Ron Ramsden does, round here ;) :D

nffc
01-08-2006, 23:11
Having finally accepted that 6 years of feline abuse has resulted in an urgent need to buy new sofas, Mrs Nug has been looking around, and found what looks like a good deal in Argos - has anyone got any experience of the sofas from here and, if so, would you recommend them?

Basically, would it be a case of, if a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is?

TIA :tu: so-fa so good methinks... best sit on it for a while see if it's comfy eh.

greencreeper
01-08-2006, 23:13
true, but Leeds is a long way, away
But from where? Where does Nug live? There are Ikeas all over the country...

Marge
01-08-2006, 23:15
Can't beat DFS, great sofas :tu:

danielf
01-08-2006, 23:19
Basically, you get what you pay for, imo (so if it looks too good etc). However, seeing you mention cats, you may be after something with a relatively short life-span anyway.

As other have said, you do want to try it out, so getting one from a catalogue is probably not the best idea.

Nugget
01-08-2006, 23:22
But from where? Where does Nug live? There are Ikeas all over the country...

I live about 4 miles from the weeman, in that lovely corner of this great isle that is Grimsby :disturbd:

In fairness, the nearest Ikea to us is Leeds, but I don't think I could be bothered to drive that far out to look at sofas. However, the website may get a look at some point in the near future :)

---------- Post added at 23:20 ---------- Previous post was at 23:19 ----------

Can't beat DFS, great sofas :tu:

There's a DFS in Brigg, so we're going to look there at the weekend as well :tu:

---------- Post added at 23:22 ---------- Previous post was at 23:20 ----------

Basically, you get what you pay for, imo (so if it looks too good etc). However, seeing you mention cats, you may be after something with a relatively short life-span anyway.

As other have said, you do want to try it out, so getting one from a catalogue is probably not the best idea.

Well, the big Argos in Grimsby actually had the one she was thinking of in as a display model, so she's road-tested it anyway (well, had a little bit of a sit down at least ;) ). Having said that, I'm a foot and a half taller than she is, so it might be worth me checking it as well :disturbd:

Shaun
01-08-2006, 23:38
So Argos extend their 16 day money back thingy to sofas too?

If so you could try it at home and send it back if you don't like it!

greencreeper
01-08-2006, 23:41
I live about 4 miles from the weeman, in that lovely corner of this great isle that is Grimsby :disturbd:
Ah right. Sorry to hear that :p: I organise a gay social gathering at Ikea. We have people from Hull come along. Also have folks from Manchester and Liverpool. Can be at Ikea in no time at all - all motorway travel.

"Feline abuse" - you may be referring to the mother-in-law, but assuming that you mean a domestic cat, maybe you should see what the cat thinks :D

homealone
@nug

ok I'll admit Brigg is nearer than Leeds, and Argos is in Grimsby town centre, but I'm interested why you don't go for Dudley's 'bed center' - don't you get a discount?? ;) :D

Matthew
true, but Leeds is a long way, away - especially for any of their football fans who may have visited Blundell Park, for the 1-1 draw, recently - they just can't play anyone in stripes ;)

Good old Ronnies! There is a place down Freeman Street in Grimsby called Walmsleys or a place on Cleethorpe Road called something like Happy Homes or what ever it has changed its name to. Then there is DFS at Brigg.

Nugget
01-08-2006, 23:43
ok I'll admit Brigg is nearer than Leeds, and Argos is in Grimsby town centre, but I'm interested why you don't go for Dudley's 'bed center' - don't you get a discount?? ;) :d

Hey, I know how bad the food is - there's no way I'd risk the soft furnishings :D

---------- Post added at 23:43 ---------- Previous post was at 23:42 ----------

Ah right. Sorry to hear that :p: I organise a gay social gathering at Ikea. We have people from Hull come along. Also have folks from Manchester and Liverpool. Can be at Ikea in no time at all - all motorway travel.

*eep* :D

"Feline abuse" - you may be referring to the mother-in-law, but assuming that you mean a domestic cat, maybe you should see what the cat thinks :D

I've spent the last 6 years trying to get rid of them - even my opinion counts as higher than theirs :D

greencreeper
01-08-2006, 23:45
I've spent the last 6 years trying to get rid of them - even my opinion counts as higher than theirs :D
I was thinking that if the cat(s) hate it, then you've found your ideal sofa...

Chris W
02-08-2006, 00:02
If you have a cat then think carefully about the material-

leather is a definately no no, and also fabrics that the cats claws will catch because it will end up getting threads pulled out and looking naff.

danielf
02-08-2006, 00:05
Ah right. Sorry to hear that :p: I organise a gay social gathering at Ikea.

And there was me thinking you lot had taste. Then again, one could pick up some cheap candles on the way out :scratch: :D

homealone
02-08-2006, 00:06
I was thinking that if the cat(s) hate it, then you've found your ideal sofa...

we got a new cover, rather than a new sofa - avoiding the spam link, search on a lead line ;)

nffc
02-08-2006, 00:07
I've spent the last 6 years trying to get rid of them - even my opinion counts as higher than theirs :D I was thinking that if the cat(s) hate it, then you've found your ideal sofa...

Have to ask in the shop if the sofa is attractive to pussy...

Kliro
02-08-2006, 00:39
http://www.brownscarpets.co.uk/La-Z-Boy-Matinee.htm

punky
02-08-2006, 01:08
Apparently, DFS has a sale on... Hurry down there quick ;)

Nugget
02-08-2006, 07:20

Nah, I haven't got the time - I've heard it ends tomorrow... :D

nffc
02-08-2006, 10:05
Nah, I haven't got the time - I've heard it ends tomorrow... :D
Tomorrow never comes... :D

banjo
02-08-2006, 10:42
Just a word of warning, I bought a new sofa and it looked fine in the big showroom.

When they came to deliver it they said it was too big to fit through my hallway, I rang the shop and was told that I had purchased it and I might have to take my bay windows out to get it in, now after some frank talking the shop sent a special crew who got it in no problem, also if it has a curved back it will stick out into the room.

To pick furniture is a nightmare :)

Pumpkin
02-08-2006, 10:57

Just biding their time so they can be promoted as champions this season :)

And Nugs allergic to anything to do with Ramsden's - can't imagine why :confused:

Nugget
02-08-2006, 11:03
<snip>And Nugs allergic to anything to do with Ramsden's - can't imagine why :confused:

I'd just like to refer you to my earlier post - I spend my entire life recalling the food, so the furniture's got no hope ;)

Pumpkin
02-08-2006, 11:03
we got a new cover, rather than a new sofa - avoiding the spam link, search on a lead line ;)

Could get a new cover but wouldn't solve the problem of the one of the sofas being supported by a piece of hardboard lovingly cut to size by twin bro Nug, which makes it really uncomfortable and the backside shaped hole in the other of the sofas were 'someone' sat down a bit too forcibly :D

greencreeper
02-08-2006, 11:06
And there was me thinking you lot had taste. Then again, one could pick up some cheap candles on the way out :scratch: :D
We do have taste - hence gathering at Ikea :D Can also play gay bingo at Ikea - a discussion for another thread.

Nidge
02-08-2006, 14:17
I'd also say DFS or that SCS sofa place, they have both got good deals on at the moment, the best thing with DFS is all their sofas are made in their own factory in Derbyshire ao you get a british built sofa insted of a chinese one.

MadGamer
02-08-2006, 21:33
Can't beat DFS, great sofas :tu: and Sales that never seem to end. :D