PDA

View Full Version : Puncture Repair Spray

gazzae
31-07-2006, 17:13
The car I am looking to buy doesn't come with a spare wheel (You can get one as an optional extra). It comes with a "Puncture Repair Spray". How do these work, and is it a viable alternative to having a spare wheel?

Paul K
31-07-2006, 17:17
I know of a "slime" type system that gets put into the wheel through the valve stalk and then you re-pressurize the tyre.

gazzae
31-07-2006, 17:20
I know of a "slime" type system that gets put into the wheel through the valve stalk and then you re-pressurize the tyre.

So if you weren't near a garage to get air you would be stranded?

fireman328
31-07-2006, 17:26
The car I am looking to buy doesn't come with a spare wheel (You can get one as an optional extra). It comes with a "Puncture Repair Spray". How do these work, and is it a viable alternative to having a spare wheel?

I believe it is a pressurised can of special foam which you squirt into the punctured tyre via the inflation valve, this inflates the tyre and the gunk in the tyre seals the leak and fills the tyre with a compound so that it can be driven to a tyre place who then repair the tyre.

Paul K
31-07-2006, 17:26
AFAIK you put it in before you get a puncture and then if you hit anything the air pressure in the tyre forces the "slime" through the puncture and seals it enough to hold pressure. Did you ask what the spray was?

Cobbydaler
31-07-2006, 17:27
No, it inflates as well if it's like the one from Holts.

Click on here (http://www.holtsauto.com/products/index.html) & scroll down to Maintenance > Holts Tyreweld

gazzae
31-07-2006, 17:37
So it's just a quick fix to get you to a tyre place?

Asghar
31-07-2006, 17:38
These are quite handy to give to members of the family. Much safer and quicker to use than changing a tyre at the roadside.

r1ch
31-07-2006, 17:38
The problem would be if you have a blowout or hit something with your wheel so that the metal itself is damaged. The puncture repair spray will only work for small holes - anything more and you'll be stranded.

fireman328
31-07-2006, 17:45
So it's just a quick fix to get you to a tyre place?

Yes, I had a old Citroen at one time and it came with the trash left in the boot by the previous Gitanes smoker, I did have to use it once but then I threw it away, the car I mean.

joker
31-07-2006, 17:49

Ooo sounds like one of MGRovers cost cutting schemes to me :p:

If I was you, I would get a spare from a scrappers just incase. The repair sprays are only any good if the puncture is small. It all depends on the type of puncture you get as to wheather the spray is effective or not.

r1ch
31-07-2006, 17:51
BTW - a lot of tyre repair places will charge extra to repair a tyre after something like this has been used - it has to be cleaned out before the tyre can be repaired and it's not an easy job.

MovedGoalPosts
31-07-2006, 18:20
With modern regulations on tyre repairs it seems that unless it's a simple nail through the centre of the tyre tread it's unrepariable anyway. I wouldn't worry to much, puncture = new tyre, so foam filler is the least of your worries.

AndrewJ
31-07-2006, 18:23
We had to use this once in a Peugeot 106 loan car, and it did work although your wise not to go above 40mph with it as the whole balance of the car is shot.

r1ch
31-07-2006, 18:31
Have the rules regarding repairs changed? I've had about 2 a year repaired for the last few years and it hasn't been a problem. It basically seems that as long as the hole is in the bit that touches the road it's ok.

bopdude
31-07-2006, 18:59

I thought ( I'm positive ) having a spare was a requirement for M.O.T. surely if this is the case then the company is sending the car out of the showroom in an un-roadworthy condition, maybe breaking the law to boot :shrug:

r1ch
31-07-2006, 19:01
Nope - it's a warning but not a fail for a car to be missing its spare on an M.O.T. test. I know because we needed a new alloy wheel last time the test was due on one of our cars.

bopdude
31-07-2006, 19:05
Nope - it's a warning but not a fail for a car to be missing its spare on an M.O.T. test. I know because we needed a new alloy wheel last time the test was due on one of our cars.

I stand corrected.....again :D even google's not my friend today :dozey:

daz300
31-07-2006, 19:32
link to slime.com (http://www.slime.com/tiresealant/index.php)

Taf
31-07-2006, 19:52
I used the slime (it is full of tiny fibres that block puncture holes).

I followed the instructions and poured it into the (good) tyre on a motorbike. It then said to "inflate to normal pressure and drive gently to distribute the fluid". It was liking driving with a square wheel for a few hundred yards.... and ditto if the bike had been unused for a few days (the fluid probably collected at the bottom of the tyre each time).

Then disaster..... I checked the tyre pressure with a gauge... a little spurt of air came out... followed by a short spurt of slime that instantly set rock hard in the valve.... it was drill job to get the valve out for replacement.....

SnoopZ
31-07-2006, 19:58
I stand corrected.....again :D even google's not my friend today :dozey:

If the car does have a spare it will fail if the spare is illegal but if it's not there it won't fail. :)

fireman328
31-07-2006, 22:26
If the car does have a spare it will fail if the spare is illegal but if it's not there it won't fail. :)

There is a Tommy Cooper logic somewhere in this.
Bottle Glass Glass Bottle :D :D

SnoopZ
31-07-2006, 23:05
There is a Tommy Cooper logic somewhere in this.
Bottle Glass Glass Bottle :D :D
lol :D

greencreeper
01-08-2006, 00:19
You can't drive like a bat out of hell neither - had to stick to 40 mph or slower. Liable to come apart otherwise, which would be bad.

I guess with modern cars being really tiny, like my mate's Kia (have to put the shopping on the back seat - boot's too small), there's no room for a spare tyre.

carlingman
01-08-2006, 00:45
No, it inflates as well if it's like the one from Holts.

Click on here (http://www.holtsauto.com/products/index.html) & scroll down to Maintenance > Holts Tyreweld

Tyre weld is good stuff for disabling alarm systems.

:D

Alledgly so I am told.

:notopic: :Sprint:

Jules
01-08-2006, 14:41
I carry a can for emergency's, I suppose it is a good short term measure

handyman
01-08-2006, 15:47
Our Picanto has one of these kits, came with a pump as well powered by the lighter socket. Fantastic thing it is ideal if your wanting to top up your pressure before you go out and if you get a puncture you can add the slim stuff. However Claire did forget to pump up a flat tyre before heading out and had a blowout.

The free RAC cover was used and all ended well.

We could get a spare for £90 but we are just tight :)

gazzae
01-08-2006, 16:25
Apparently the car doesn't come with a spare due to the layout of the exhausts. Don't know if that means if you get one it has to roll about the boot! Will ask when I'm next down.