PDA

View Full Version : banking in ROI

liamboyle06
31-07-2006, 11:20
Hi All, not sure if many here know of this or will be able to help.
I am trying to set up a Bank Account in the ROI, but looking at some of the banks, they charge for every single transaction (lodgings, withdrawals, DD, Standing Orders, maintenance etc...):
1 - is this true?
2 - if true, are there any banks that dont charge?

All I will be using the account for is lodging money everymonth so MTG comes out on time.

Flobajob
31-07-2006, 11:27
Hi All, not sure if many here know of this or will be able to help.
I am trying to set up a Bank Account in the ROI, but looking at some of the banks, they charge for every single transaction (lodgings, withdrawals, DD, Standing Orders, maintenance etc...):
1 - is this true?
2 - if true, are there any banks that dont charge?

All I will be using the account for is lodging money everymonth so MTG comes out on time.

What do you need a bank in Ireland for if you're in Northern Ireland?

gazzae
31-07-2006, 11:29
Ulster Bank has fee free banking down South.

liamboyle06
31-07-2006, 13:00
What do you need a bank in Ireland for if you're in Northern Ireland?
they are not seen as the same bank, ie.
Bank of Ireland in N. Ireland is not a recognised bank in RIO, like wise Bank of Ireland in RIO is not seen in NI. - strange...

Ulster Bank has Fee Free banking down south.?
Might go for them then

King Of Fools
31-07-2006, 13:24
I read that Bank of Scotland are trying to become a major bank in Ireland by offering good deals like in the UK to get people to switch, so it might be worth checking them out:
http://www.bankofscotland.ie/

Flobajob
31-07-2006, 13:45
they are not seen as the same bank, ie.
Bank of Ireland in N. Ireland is not a recognised bank in RIO, like wise Bank of Ireland in RIO is not seen in NI. - strange...

Might go for them then

Right, I was just wondering what sort of banking you need to do in the republic as most UK banks will offer a "Euro account".

liamboyle06
31-07-2006, 15:18
I need an account in the ROI, because the mtg i am getting is south of the border, and they will only withdraw payments from a southern bank. I was looking at banks which operate in the north and south, but i was told that they are completely seperate and I can not deposit money into a different branch up north if registered down south.

Honestly never heard of a Euro Account.

Also did not know BOS operated in RIO.

Flobajob
31-07-2006, 16:19
I need an account in the ROI, because the mtg i am getting is south of the border, and they will only withdraw payments from a southern bank. I was looking at banks which operate in the north and south, but i was told that they are completely seperate and I can not deposit money into a different branch up north if registered down south.

Honestly never heard of a Euro Account.

Also did not know BOS operated in RIO.

I'm being a dunce, but what is "mtg" ?

gazzae
31-07-2006, 16:21
I'm being a dunce, but what is "mtg" ?

I assume its a Mortgage.

Flobajob
31-07-2006, 16:24
oh I seeeeeee, makes sense now.