PDA

View Full Version : Modem at max levels - should I call in as fault?

Digiteeruk
30-07-2006, 02:21
Hi, I have an NTL 250 Cable Modem that has no attenuator and is fed from a 2 way splitter that also feeds a pace STB (STB only - no UHF to TV).

I did a levels check on the modem - from reading the forum's excellent guide, although Upstream tx power seems just borderline at 55 dBmV, the Downstream Rx at -16 dBmV and SNR at 29+ dB appears very worrying:

Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -16.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 29.7 dB
Upstream Frequency : 28784000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 55.0 dBmV

(Have checked all connections are good / tight).

I upgraded from my original 1M to the 10M BB service, but as it rarely gave me a d/l bandwidth more than 3 - 4M, have just downgraded to the 4M service and am seeing 3.5 - 3.9M.

The problem is that the BB service actually seems very reliable / stable but I am very worried that my modem is running flat out!

In the spitit of 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' should I call the problem in and request a power upgrade? If so, how would you recommend wording the request to get past the other-continent helpdesk, and 'pre-emptive maintanance' would probably not justify a visit for our local overworked techs (Portsmouth area).

All advice gratefully receievd - many thanks in advance

Dig.

Digiteeruk
01-08-2006, 17:00
I took the plunge and called Tech Support.
They ran their own tests and got a completely different set of power / signal readings to my local ones.
Their readings were completely within spec and so have closed the call and asked me call them if it breaks - oh well :dozey:

Best Tech Support Rep I've come across though - excellent English, really knew his stuff - went straight to the modem problem and didn't ask me to reboot / reinstall Windows :angel:

All the best to the Forum.

Rgds Dig

Zheez
02-08-2006, 00:15
Glad to hear that. Was considering calling them myself as my figures also seem to be a bit dodgy:

Downstream Receive Power Level : -20.3 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 29.1 dB
Upstream transmit Power Level : 37.5 dBmV

I get full 10mbit speeds most of the time though so I think I'll leave it and just call if I have a problem.