PDA

View Full Version : Modem losing power?

N3il
28-07-2006, 21:13
Lo guys,

got a problem with my modem, its an ntl 250 thing (they took my rusty 3com away a few months back).

It has been performing well untill today, when for no apparent reason my connection just dies. Inspection of the modem reveals that NONE of the lights are on, like it had just shut down..

What im wondering is if it got too hot, would it just shut down to prevent damage? i ask this because its been very hot here today, and now that i have a fan pointed at the thing it seems to work okay..

maverick
28-07-2006, 21:36
Not heard of a modem over heating before,there is however a thermal switch built into the power supply unit that can trip out due to heat or surge related incidents.

N3il
28-07-2006, 21:40
Its now been working for 30 mins with the fan longest since the problem started.. ill keep the fan on it, then try tomorrow without, if it fails still i guess ill ask ntl to exchange it..

homealone
28-07-2006, 21:45
Not heard of a modem over heating before,there is however a thermal switch built into the power supply unit that can trip out due to heat or surge related incidents.

Interesting, is that on the 250, only, or all the Ambit modems? - a 100, for example??

- I haven't had problems, room temp atm is 26°C, I just wondered :)

---------- Post added at 21:45 ---------- Previous post was at 21:42 ----------

Its now been working for 30 mins with the fan longest since the problem started.. ill keep the fan on it, then try tomorrow without, if it fails still i guess ill ask ntl to exchange it..

any idea what your room temperature is?

maverick
28-07-2006, 21:47
All Ambit power supplies have the thermal switch,to reset it if it does trip out just unplug it from the mains supply for at least 30 seconds.

N3il
28-07-2006, 22:00
Not a clue, pretty damn hot though.. I would say around 30 probably

---------- Post added at 22:00 ---------- Previous post was at 21:47 ----------

I dont think its the power supply because if i unplug the power from the modem and put it back in it works again (though sometimes briefly, like 5-10 mins unless theres a fan on the modem...)