PDA

View Full Version : Central Heating / Double Glazing

Nugget
26-07-2006, 21:34
Hi guys :wavey:

We've had a quote for central heating today, but we'd like to get a few more if poss. Obviously, we want people to come round so they can see what we actually want, but does anyone know of any sites that'll give a quotation online? I've had a look around, and the ones I've found all e-mail you after you've put all of the details in, but I was wondering if there's any that just do it 'while you're there' as such.

Cheers

Nug

Scarlett
26-07-2006, 21:39
Are you installing completely or is it a replacement system ? FYI We just paid about £2500 for new system including running fresh gas pipes and new flue in the roof and new thermostats + the usual stuff like flushing the system.

Nugget
26-07-2006, 21:41
Are you installing completely or is it a replacement system ? FYI We just paid about £2500 for new system including running fresh gas pipes and new flue in the roof and new thermostats + the usual stuff like flushing the system.

The central heating is a completely new installation, including getting rid of 2 gas heaters and an electric radiator (there was one in the house - why only one? Makes no sense :shrug: )

The double glazing will be for the 2 front windows (downstairs is a bay), and a small one in the bathroom, and front and back doors.

EDIT: We've been quoted £3750 for the central heating so far :)

Jules
26-07-2006, 21:50
It is times like this I am so glad I live in a council house we have had double glazing, central heating and a fitted kitchen put in over the last 3 years and we are getting a new bathroom next :tu:

I hope you get it sorted for a good price Nug

Wicked_and_Crazy
26-07-2006, 21:52

We've had a quote for central heating today, but we'd like to get a few more if poss. Obviously, we want people to come round so they can see what we actually want, but does anyone know of any sites that'll give a quotation online? I've had a look around, and the ones I've found all e-mail you after you've put all of the details in, but I was wondering if there's any that just do it 'while you're there' as such.

Cheers

Nug

is it not hot enough for you right now??

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/heating.html gives an indication

Nugget
26-07-2006, 21:54
It is times like this I am so glad I live in a council house we have had double glazing, central heating and a fitted kitchen put in over the last 3 years and we are getting a new bathroom next :tu:

Thanks sweetie - I don't want to think about the new bathroom and kitchen that we need yet 'cos I just start to shake :disturbd:

Actually, Mrs Nug just came up with a good point - what are peoples opinion regarding which to do first? Would it make more sense to get the windows done then the central heating, or t'other way round?

Blimey, I'm questioning today :D

---------- Post added at 21:54 ---------- Previous post was at 21:54 ----------

is it not hot enough for you right now??

http://www.whatprice.co.uk/heating.html gives an indication

Far, far too hot, but it'll also be far, far too cold in the winter :)

Jules
26-07-2006, 21:55
I would get the windows done first

Wicked_and_Crazy
26-07-2006, 21:56
if the windows arent draughty id go for the heating first. I cant stand draughts, makes me feel colder than it is

SMG
26-07-2006, 21:56
While its summer, windows first. By the way, what type of C/H system are you going for!

Nugget
26-07-2006, 21:59
While its summer, windows first. By the way, what type of C/H system are you going for!

:erm: how many different types are there :disturbd:

We've been quoted for 7 radiators with all the relevant pipework, a condensing combination boiler and, as I said, getting rid of the existing heater, 2 gas heaters (and, obviously, repairing the holes that that'll leave in the relevant walls), and the electric radiator :)

homealone
26-07-2006, 22:00
You & Pumpkin come round our gaff, whenever you like & we can talk to you about having new boiler/kitchen/bathroom fitted in short order time, also memories of double glazing ;)

- meanwhile look at

http://www.flickr.com/photos/homealone

:)

Nugget
26-07-2006, 22:04
You & Pumpkin come round our gaff, whenever you like & we can talk to you about having new boiler/kitchen/bathroom fitted in short order time, also memories of double glazing ;)

- meanwhile look at

We may well do that :)

Well, I would have to remember where your house is, bearing in mind the first time I saw it I was drunk, and the second time we had your flat-tyred bike in my boot, and I left at high-speed to get home after work :D

MovedGoalPosts
26-07-2006, 22:11
Double glazing is quite expensive for not that great a benefit. You certainly don't recover the costs of the glazing of your heating bills for many many years. It's only financially worht doing glazing when you are going to save on maintenance, i.e. you were due to repaint, or they were rotten.

Most windows would be fitted in less than a day, so even doing it in winter is not a biggie from a timing point of view.

Heating though is much more critical on timing. If it's a complete system, and you are replacing existing stuff, you could be out of action for a few days. Don't really want to have no means of heat during winter. Bear in mind that you will probably also be talking of hot water being out of action too so summer is the best time.

A modern heating system will also reduce your heating bills, especially if you make sure loft insulation is also up to scratch. Loft and cavity wall insulation are the biggest money saving things you can do.

homealone
26-07-2006, 22:16

- meanwhile look at

We may well do that :)

Well, I would have to remember where your house is, bearing in mind the first time I saw it I was drunk, and the second time we had your flat-tyred bike in my boot, and I left at high-speed to get home after work :D

good-oh, just get in touch & I can talk you there/here - not now, though ;)

SMG
26-07-2006, 22:16
:erm: how many different types are there :disturbd:

We've been quoted for 7 radiators with all the relevant pipework, a condensing combination boiler and, as I said, getting rid of the existing heater, 2 gas heaters (and, obviously, repairing the holes that that'll leave in the relevant walls), and the electric radiator :)

Sorry m8 I should have been more specific, you can have different types of rad pipework ranging from the std 15mm copper, to 10 / 8 / 6mm copper. The smaller piped system is called "Microbore" & uses far less water, you get quicker heat at the rads. You can also go for a plastic pipe system, 10 & 15mm. Its much easier to install the microbore & plastic pipes. Very little soldering & easy pipe bending. You need to speak to someone who does all types of systems. The less water you use, the less gas you use.

Nugget
26-07-2006, 22:26
Double glazing is quite expensive for not that great a benefit. You certainly don't recover the costs of the glazing of your heating bills for many many years. It's only financially worht doing glazing when you are going to save on maintenance, i.e. you were due to repaint, or they were rotten.

Most windows would be fitted in less than a day, so even doing it in winter is not a biggie from a timing point of view.

Well, the bay window downstairs definitely needs replacing - it's not actually rotten, but it's not far off. The upstairs window is in fairly good nick, but might as well be replaced at the same time as the bay. The doors need doing because the back one leaks slightly at the bottom, and the front would be better from a security point of view :)

Heating though is much more critical on timing. If it's a complete system, and you are replacing existing stuff, you could be out of action for a few days. Don't really want to have no means of heat during winter. Bear in mind that you will probably also be talking of hot water being out of action too so summer is the best time.

A modern heating system will also reduce your heating bills, especially if you make sure loft insulation is also up to scratch. Loft and cavity wall insulation are the biggest money saving things you can do.

The heating's definitely going to be done in the next few weeks - the guy today said that it'd take 2 days, but the water would be on overnight anyway. The only thing that I actually need to do is replace the lagging in the loft, 'cos it's knackered :)

---------- Post added at 22:26 ---------- Previous post was at 22:25 ----------

Sorry m8 I should have been more specific, you can have different types of rad pipework ranging from the std 15mm copper, to 10 / 8 / 6mm copper. The smaller piped system is called "Microbore" & uses far less water, you get quicker heat at the rads. You can also go for a plastic pipe system, 10 & 15mm. Its much easier to install the microbore & plastic pipes. Very little soldering & easy pipe bending. You need to speak to someone who does all types of systems. The less water you use, the less gas you use.

Ah, in that case, I have absolutely no idea :disturbd: :D

Wicked_and_Crazy
26-07-2006, 22:33
Nug, have you looked into the energy efficiency grants some energy suppliers are offering,

Might get something off your loft insulation

MovedGoalPosts
26-07-2006, 22:36
Window replacement is, and has been for some time, covered by the Building Regs. Make sure the installer is a member of FENSA and they can take care of all the paperwork, ensuring that the work is registered with the local council. Could cuase issues when you sell your house otherswise.

If replacing bay windows, make sure they design the new frame carefully. Many bay frames have loadbearing corner posts to support the structure above.

Loft insulation thicknesses can be 250mm of quilt between and over the ceiling joists. Make sure any installer also provides ventilation to the loft with these thicknesses, otherwise you can get condensation problems.

With highly insulated lofts you might not want tanks and pipework in them. Ask your heating installer about converting the hot water to use a megaflo type hot water tank, and remove any cold water tanks. Alternatively a smaller house, you may not need a hot water tank at all and be happy with a combination type boiler.

homealone
26-07-2006, 22:51
Window replacement is, and has been for some time, covered by the Building Regs. Make sure the installer is a member of FENSA and they can take care of all the paperwork, ensuring that the work is registered with the local council. Could cuase issues when you sell your house otherswise.

If replacing bay windows, make sure they design the new frame carefully. Many bay frames have loadbearing corner posts to support the structure above.

Loft insulation thicknesses can be 250mm of quilt between and over the ceiling joists. Make sure any installer also provides ventilation to the loft with these thicknesses, otherwise you can get condensation problems.

With highly insulated lofts you might not want tanks and pipework in them. Ask your heating installer about converting the hot water to use a megaflo type hot water tank, and remove any cold water tanks. Alternatively a smaller house, you may not need a hot water tank at all and be happy with a combination type boiler.

good stuff ... as far as I know, all new central heating installations must go for the condensing boiler, apart from 'back boilers' in small houses, which means in most cases the 'header tank' type system can be replaced with a pressurised one. In our case, that worked out really well :)

carlingman
27-07-2006, 00:24

Cheers

Nug

Nug,

Having not long been down this route myself for windows and central heating quotes.

Have a looksie here http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/showthread.php?t=47312

As ever some top advice in there.

As an update to where I am now with it -

Went back to Anglian Windows and they have come down in price and put it in writing to drop £300 notes off their original offer to nearly match my other best offer with unconditional terms to take up the offer within 6 months.

On the central heating side the local boys are winning hands down but as my current system works ok, who needs heating in this weather.

From the thread quoted above try these guys http://www2.priceengine.co.uk/

:D

Nugget
27-07-2006, 00:26
Snip snippetty-snip

Cheers matey - I'll peruse that tomorrow :)

carlingman
12-08-2006, 03:12
Cheers matey - I'll peruse that tomorrow :)

Update if your interested.

Still no further on the Central Heating.

But windows wise, re called Anglian and prevous sales guy has left the company but have negotiated a new deal which is better for me as the style of windows i originally wanted for under the original price so am well happy.

Negotiate is the key word here.

Chrysalis
12-08-2006, 04:27

wow seems council by council has huge variation. My elder sister lives in a council house and she has been waiting 4 years and countil for double glazing, she has massive draft through the current windows. If she asked for a new bathroom they would probably laugh at her.

Nugget
14-08-2006, 15:50
Update if your interested.

Still no further on the Central Heating.

But windows wise, re called Anglian and prevous sales guy has left the company but have negotiated a new deal which is better for me as the style of windows i originally wanted for under the original price so am well happy.

Negotiate is the key word here.

Update 2 :)

Central heating is being installed this week - they're starting tomorrow, and have said it should take 3 days tops (and they're charging 1½ grand less than npower :) ).

The surveyor is also coming tomorrow to measure up for the double glazing - we think that we're paying a little more than we wanted to, but we're having the 'oak finish' thing for the front windows, and they were recommended so, fingers crossed, we should have it all sorted within the next few weeks :)

Stuart
14-08-2006, 16:20

Depends on what benefit you are expecting. Double Glazing does let out some heat, but it lets out less heat thank standard windows (Single Glazing?). It also has the advantage that it cuts an awful lot of noise out.

As an example, my friend lives in new house next to a busy railway line (a major line into London, and a Eurostar route). When they built those houses, Barrett installed Triple Glazing on the side of the house facing the railway. As a result, when sitting in the house, you can hear almost nothing even if a Eurostar goes past (and , as anyone who has heard one will confirm, they are extremely loud).