PDA

View Full Version : Can I access ntl without a cable?

TOPSie
26-07-2006, 15:04
Please be gentle my first post here!
I know from other articles in "Installation" that the house I am about to move to won't get a cable installed (shortsighted builder of new estate!)
But I don't particularly want to change my ntlworld.com email address and I certainly don't want to give up my (free) access to Newsgroups.
Can someone confirm that if I sign up to Tesco or Virgin Broadband I will get the same Newsgroup access (I believe they share the same servers). And if I join one of these "ntl partners" could I manage to carry on using my ntlworld email.
Or does anyone know any other way to maintain ntl access without a cable

Scarlett
26-07-2006, 15:26
There is (or was, might well still be) freedom dial up which will allow you to maintain your email address.

Checking on line its gone but virgin.net is in place instead...

ntl do not offer services outside its cable network.
However, we recommend Virgin.net who offer a range of Internet
options including broadband with no 12 month contract.
All you need is a BT line.

try here (http://secure.ntlfreedom.com/?scid=olr).

Not to sure what you can do about you email addy though

---------- Post added at 15:26 ---------- Previous post was at 15:25 ----------

You could always pay a fiver for a domain and use that for email. then it doesn't matter who your isp is. We've been doing it for about 5 years (and 4 different isp's now)

MovedGoalPosts
26-07-2006, 17:12
By entering the correct account details in your outlook express or whatever email client you use (password, email addy, and the pop server) you should be able to connect and receive your ntl email, from anywhere on the web. It won't matter which ISP you use. However to send mail, you won't be able to use the ntl smtp server, but would have to use your new ISP's one. They should provide you with those details on signup.

However, if you are no longer a ntl customer, the email service will not continue indefinitely. Indeed 90 days rings a bell, so make sure you put plans in place to tell everyone important your new email addy (the spammers will find you anyway ;) ). Of course using a non ISP based email addy such as gmail, or hotmail can get round the changing addresses issue if your likely to move a lot.