PDA

View Full Version : DNS Servers and Install

pxr5
26-07-2006, 13:17
Hi all,

I've been told in another forum to use DNS servers other than NTL's. Why is this? I'm getting 10 mbps NTL installed tomorrow so are the NTL ones that bad? If I do need to use different DNS addresses where do I get them from?

Also, during install do I have to register with a 'PIN'? Who supplies this - the engineer or CS? I'm not letting the engineer go until this is all sorted out.

I'm completely new to cable and a little unsure of things. Many thanks.

MovedGoalPosts
26-07-2006, 17:36
You should be fine with the standard DNS servers. Indeed normally if your PC is set up with it's ethernet connection set to auto everything should be just fine. Occasionally ntl have issues with their proxy servers, and in turn that can cause dns issues, but worry about that if it happens.

As for PIN no's I'm not aware that you need those for cable modems. the installer should check that the connection is up and running before they leave, although occasionally it can take a short while for ntl's servers to catch up with the new installation and allow your new modem to start speaking to the world. Just make sure your PC is ready so you can test.

bigcat
26-07-2006, 22:17
Not true Rob

A pin is required for new broadband customers, but...at present SABS is NOT adding new MAC addresses, they have to be done manually.

MovedGoalPosts
26-07-2006, 22:18
I stand corrected :dunce:

pxr5
27-07-2006, 13:34
Well that was all prettty painless. Engineer did his stuff and left me with a disk and PIN, a few clicks later and online at 10 mbps. Very nice.