PDA

View Full Version : I'm disappointed.

janipewter
26-07-2006, 01:48
In September 2005 (almost a year ago now), we received a letter from Telewest saying that'd they were going to upgrade us from 2Mbit to 10Mbit for no extra cost, and also boost the upload bandwidth from 256Kbit to 384Kbit. Of course, I was totally wowed at the news, since at the time there were very few, if not no other ISP's offering this sort of speed. The higest ADSL connection I could get at the time was 2Mbit/256Kbit, and the highest cable I could get was 4Mbit/384Kbit, from Telewest, but at the time it was hugely overpriced.

Well in the time that I was eagerly waiting for the upgrade, six months passed. During this time, a high number of the big ADSL players had announced and rolled out 8Mbit services with really high upload speeds (512Kbit and upwards), and had already upgraded customers to it before I even received my 10Mbit.

Today, quite a few of those ISP's offering 8Mbit are rolling out ADSL2+ services, which offer even faster connections, upto 24Mbit downstream and 1.3Mbit upstream. And how are Telewest/NTL responding to it? They apparently aren't. A while ago I read on one of the big technology news websites that Telewest were targeting "50 to 100 Megabits per second" by the end of 2006. Is that a reality, or a very optimistic dream? It's a shame now that most ISP's have overtaken them, maybe not in this area since there isn't LLU or ADSL2+ anywhere in my city, and most of the big players (Bulldog, UKOnline, Freedom2Surf etc) who I've emailed have told me they don't plan on expanding their network to here.

What I don't understand though is what's wrong with this countries cabling? There are cable providers in the United States now are offering 30Mbit down and 2Mbit up for only a little more than I currently pay for 10M/384K. What's going on? Are NTL planning on any speed upgrades soon to match competitors like Sky and Be? When will the DOCSIS2/3 rollout be?

I'm not complaining about the service, the download speed is pretty fast but I'd like a faster upload. I'm a huge fan of digital photography, and having just purchased a new digital Ixus (7.1mp), I'm finding that it's taking a very long time to upload single images, since they come out at 2-4MB each, and I can only throughput around 42KB/s max.

Through the new ADSL MAX stuff, the samknows site claims I can get 5.5Mbps downstream here, which probably means faster upstream than I currently have, and for less than I currently pay. Is it worth the switch?

Hope I haven't bored you with the long post and I look forward to reading your comments.

-Jani

---------- Post added at 01:48 ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 ----------

Oh, and does anyone know why I get such poor speedtest results? I've tested on 3 different test sites for the last couple of weeks, at different times of the day on each day. I thought it might just be normal, but I went to a friends house who has the same package as me and he got 9.1Mbps on the speedtest, whereas I rarely get near 3Mbps.

For example, I'll do the tests right now.

Namesco Broadbandwidth Speedtest:
Download Speed: 2022 kbps (252.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
Upload Speed: 340 kbps (42.5 KB/sec transfer rate)

ADSLGuide Broadband Speedtest:
Downstream5,572.5 Kbps( = 5.4 Mbps )
Upstream359.5 Kbps( = 0.4 Mbps )

Giganews Speedtest:
test size: 3131kB loaded: 100% time elapsed: 19.2s
connection speed: 1335kbps

What's up with that? Oh and before you ask, I'm not an idiot or anything, my computer is clean of spyware, virii etc, no firewall or QoS ****. I am definately on 10 megabit, because I can download files at over a megabyte per second.

v0id
26-07-2006, 02:24
Those tests just mean you can download at those speeds from the servers that the speedtests are on. However I seem to max out my connection when downloading these test files from here (http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/)

janipewter
26-07-2006, 11:52
I get an average of 200KB/s from that mirror. I find that the only way I can actually max my connection out is by using a download manager, and opening like 8 connections to the server at a time. Then it starts hitting 1.1, 1.2MB/s kindof speed.

Hugh
26-07-2006, 13:03
Those tests just mean you can download at those speeds from the servers that the speedtests are on. However I seem to max out my connection when downloading these test files from here (http://fuller.zen.co.uk/test/)

Thanks for that link - just tested using 100mb nonzero, and it downloaded in 3 minutes and 36 seconds, with an average speed of 474kb/sec, which is 3.792 megabits/sec - not too shabby on a 4mb link - I can live with that. :D

I am in Leeds, using Hudds proxy.

janipewter
26-07-2006, 17:16
Just out of interest, what is the difference between the 'zero' and 'nonzero' files?

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Right, I'm running some tests. My setup is as follows:

Internet connection is Blueyonder 'Elite' 10Mbps connection
Wired 100Mbps/100Mbps LAN connection, full duplex, auto-sensing
No software firewall, bandwidth restriction, QoS etc anywhere on the network
Wireless is enabled on my router but it's WEP protected, MAC controlled and SSID broadcast is off, so nobody else is using that
Nothing else is currently connected to my router (Netgear WGR614v6)
Modem is a Motorola SURFboard SB4200, nfi about firmware.

Modem signal levels:

Downstream ValueFrequency339000000 Hz LockedSignal to Noise Ratio37 dBPower Level10 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream ValueChannel ID1Frequency25800000 Hz RangedPower Level41 dBmV
It's on upstream channel 1 and frequency 339000000.

Here are the downloads of each file, firstly without a download manager, so only a single connection to the server:

100MB nonzero and zero
Download Failed (1) Download Failed (1)

10MB nonzero and zero

And here are the same downloads when using IDM (Internet Download Manager). I have it set to open 8 connections maximum.

100MB nonzero and zero

10MB nonzero and zero

Anybody know what's up, or even a possible solution? At work we have 10Mbps/10Mbps from IFL but it's over the Telewest network (delivered by FTTP) and on direct file downloads (single connection, no download manager) I get 1MB/s and upwards.

epson
26-07-2006, 20:03
I live in the pl2 area of plymouth,and at the moment im downloding @ 1.17mb a second on some p2p site,dont you just love the swedish speeds.

janipewter
26-07-2006, 21:52
I'm in PL2 also. I downloaded an 8MB file from the Kent Sourceforge mirror earlier at an average of 790KB/s. I still don't see what the problem is with everything else though.

---------- Post added at 21:52 ---------- Previous post was at 21:39 ----------

Ok, it looks like something has fixed itself. Just ran a few speedtests, all averaged at over 6Mbps.

Here's my most recent result from ADSLguide: http://www.adslguide.org.uk/tools/speedchart.asp?id=115394711579347012573

Andrewcrawford23
27-07-2006, 08:15
Just out of interest, what is the difference between the 'zero' and 'nonzero' files?

---------- Post added at 17:16 ---------- Previous post was at 16:21 ----------

Right, I'm running some tests. My setup is as follows:

Internet connection is Blueyonder 'Elite' 10Mbps connection
Wired 100Mbps/100Mbps LAN connection, full duplex, auto-sensing
No software firewall, bandwidth restriction, QoS etc anywhere on the network
Wireless is enabled on my router but it's WEP protected, MAC controlled and SSID broadcast is off, so nobody else is using that
Nothing else is currently connected to my router (Netgear WGR614v6)
Modem is a Motorola SURFboard SB4200, nfi about firmware.

Modem signal levels:

Downstream ValueFrequency339000000 Hz LockedSignal to Noise Ratio37 dBPower Level10 dBmV The Downstream Power Level reading is a snapshot taken at the time this page was requested. Please Reload/Refresh this Page for a new reading

Upstream ValueChannel ID1Frequency25800000 Hz RangedPower Level41 dBmV
It's on upstream channel 1 and frequency 339000000.

Here are the downloads of each file, firstly without a download manager, so only a single connection to the server:

100MB nonzero and zero
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/254/100mbnonzeroiewz9.png http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4592/100mbzeroieqh6.png

10MB nonzero and zero
http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/736/10mbnonzeroieqr8.png http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/3282/10mbzeroiewh9.png

And here are the same downloads when using IDM (Internet Download Manager). I have it set to open 8 connections maximum.

100MB nonzero and zero
http://img103.imageshack.us/img103/7444/100mbnonzeroidmtf1.png http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/9679/100mbzeroidmji0.png

10MB nonzero and zero
http://img127.imageshack.us/img127/6360/10mbnonzeroidmbt7.png http://img506.imageshack.us/img506/7990/10mbzeroidmcu2.png

Anybody know what's up, or even a possible solution? At work we have 10Mbps/10Mbps from IFL but it's over the Telewest network (delivered by FTTP) and on direct file downloads (single connection, no download manager) I get 1MB/s and upwards.

Simple answer, vast majority of servers you try to download from have a abndwidth limit per connection so if that limit is 500k per conenction you will need mroe than oen conenction to get full bandwidth, also yoru router will no doubt be slowign your conenction down, connect the modem directly to the pc and try then.

i suggest goign to gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk try it witht he rotuer and without you will find a difference plus gamefiles has no limit to the speed per connection so you can in thoery get 1.2mb/s from it if yoru connection is fine but if you dnt then you might have a fault and your best contactign support, but i warn you it will take 2 hours to get anywhere plus they will blame ti on spyware at first

James Henry
27-07-2006, 10:23
Simple answer, vast majority of servers you try to download from have a abndwidth limit per connection so if that limit is 500k per conenction you will need mroe than oen conenction to get full bandwidth, also yoru router will no doubt be slowign your conenction down, connect the modem directly to the pc and try then.

i suggest goign to gamefiles.blueyonder.co.uk try it witht he rotuer and without you will find a difference plus gamefiles has no limit to the speed per connection so you can in thoery get 1.2mb/s from it if yoru connection is fine but if you dnt then you might have a fault and your best contactign support, but i warn you it will take 2 hours to get anywhere plus they will blame ti on spyware at first

Zen's servers don't have a limit on speeds, nor is the router relevant as max speeds are achievable with multiple connections.

This looks like it requires a bit of tweaking and the connection is RWIN restricted.

May I suggest a swift trip to http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks ?

Follow the instructions there, I reckon it will resolve the problems.

Andrewcrawford23
27-07-2006, 11:01
I was unaware that zen didnt limited the amoutn fo bandwidth epr conenction, but the fact still remains some servers do, so some of the sites he might be tryign to download from and not getting full speed might be to do with that.

Also my rotuer slows my speed down up to half but normally by abotu 20% so its not impossiable and i do haev the tweaks installed itno my systems

James Henry
27-07-2006, 11:21
I was unaware that zen didnt limited the amoutn fo bandwidth epr conenction, but the fact still remains some servers do, so some of the sites he might be tryign to download from and not getting full speed might be to do with that.

Also my rotuer slows my speed down up to half but normally by abotu 20% so its not impossiable and i do haev the tweaks installed itno my systems
I didn't say it was impossible for the router to slow speeds down I said it was impossible for it to be that in this case as multiple download threads give maximum speed.

Giganews speedtest is fine, as is ADSLGuide's test since its' move to an upgraded box. Speedtests as a rule don't have throttles on them, pointless being a speedtest if that's the case.

Speeds are best from ADSLGuide as it's giving the lowest latency. Have a read of that tweaks page.

ADSLGuide:

Speed Test Results
Downstream 7,555.8 Kbps ( = 7.4 Mbps )
Upstream 480.8 Kbps ( = 0.5 Mbps )

Giganews gave 7784Kbps from Europe and 7497Kbps from USA.

Seems to be an unfortunate trend of blaming websites when our '1337' internet here doesn't max. It's a shame as there aren't really that many sites that throttle and certainly not speed tests.

janipewter
27-07-2006, 21:43
Just got home, did a test on ADSLguide.

Downstream 8,780.9 Kbps( = 8.6 Mbps )
Upstream 360.0 Kbps( = 0.4 Mbps )

Rik
01-08-2006, 12:53
Here are the results from Hertfordshire (sound like a Eurovision judge! :p: )

No download managers, just normal downloading.

janipewter
01-08-2006, 15:42
Wow, holy ****. I want my connection to work like that.

Daniel
02-08-2006, 13:29
Try www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk (http://www.speedtest.bbmax.co.uk) because that is the only that says i am on 10mb but i dont download at 10mb - i download at 537kb a sec.

So i guess we have the same problem.

James Henry
02-08-2006, 14:10
Zen's servers don't have a limit on speeds, nor is the router relevant as max speeds are achievable with multiple connections.

This looks like it requires a bit of tweaking and the connection is RWIN restricted.

May I suggest a swift trip to http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks ?

Follow the instructions there, I reckon it will resolve the problems.

Try it, will probably help.

janipewter
02-08-2006, 14:19
Did all the stuff that dslreports page told me to do, hasn't made a difference. I have tried the speedtest on my desktop, laptop and server yet they all get pretty much the same results. I have NEVER seen a speedtest go over 9 megabits per second for me.:rolleyes:

James Henry
02-08-2006, 14:31
OK.

Any packet loss / bad pings?

Congestion on up or downstream path is another possibility.

janipewter
02-08-2006, 14:45
No packetloss at all, and I ping well to a vast majority of UK based servers. For example, e-frag.co.uk:

--- e-frag.co.uk ping statistics ---
32 packets transmitted, 32 received, 0% packet loss, time 31430ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 4.854/16.003/35.812/9.584 ms