PDA

View Full Version : Strange!

LooeyUK
09-12-2003, 17:31
Just got back from work and just about to close the door when I heard a "hello?". I opened it back and this man said

"Hi, im from ntl telephone, are you with us?" I said "Yes" and he said ok, thank you and went.

Strange? NTL Telephone?

Also, ntl, why send people to your door, surely you know what house's have ntl? Seems pointless to send someone knocking on your door asking if you want their service's?

Also, another thing, why are you trying to get more customers when the best thing to do is try and keep theones you have at the moment.

Neil
09-12-2003, 17:35
Just got back from work and just about to close the door when I heard a "hello?". I opened it back and this man said

"Hi, im from ntl telephone, are you with us?" I said "Yes" and he said ok, thank you and went.

Strange? NTL Telephone?

Also, ntl, why send people to your door, surely you know what house's have ntl? Seems pointless to send someone knocking on your door asking if you want their service's?

Also, another thing, why are you trying to get more customers when the best thing to do is try and keep theones you have at the moment.

Just the point I was making here: http://forum.nthellworld.co.uk/showthread.php?p=94889#post94889 in post #4 :rolleyes:

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 18:59

Strange? NTL Telephone?

ummmmmmmmmmmm i hope i dont alarm you here but ........... this wasnt someone casing you and others was it , it kinds sounda suss to me , if it was me i would be calling ntl and asking them if they had canvassers in the area , it just dont sound right to me somehow , if it had happened to me then i would have expected them to ask about tv and bb as well , or maybe im just paranoid :shrug:

snuffs99
09-12-2003, 19:11
ummmmmmmmmmmm i hope i dont alarm you here but ........... this wasnt someone casing you and others was it , it kinds sounda suss to me , if it was me i would be calling ntl and asking them if they had canvassers in the area , it just dont sound right to me somehow , if it had happened to me then i would have expected them to ask about tv and bb as well , or maybe im just paranoid :shrug:
i am with you m8,
NTL can't turn up when they are ment to, never mind when they are not and out of the blue.

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 19:36
i am with you m8,
NTL can't turn up when they are ment to, never mind when they are not and out of the blue.

it just smells funny , i would be really interested to find out if it was bogus , it might just save an old dear from summat nasty

philip.j.fry
09-12-2003, 19:54
Whereabouts was this? Sounds like a scam to me.

In the local chippy, there is a poster up for NTL services. The poster is A4, printed in black + white and obviously made in MS Word using the default clipart. The number to call is a moble no. This was in nottingham, so could be part of a scam

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 20:10
me wonders if anyone from ntl looking in could maybe give us an insite to this ;) , i really would hate to see some old dear conned if this is indeed a con

Sociable
09-12-2003, 20:19
On the principle better safe than sorry I would pass on this information to the local Police as well as informing NTL as this certainly has the feel of a con in the making.

Just imagine if their next port of call is some defenceless pensioner who loses their savings while the "engineer" gets his mate to carry out a check while he sits with them having a cuppa.

georgepomone
09-12-2003, 20:25
me wonders if anyone from ntl looking in could maybe give us an insite to this ;) , i really would hate to see some old dear conned if this is indeed a con
Hi All,
sounds very suspicious indeed.I haven't heard ntl used this way before but they've used water,electric and gas so why not ntl. They used to have reps on the road but I haven't heard of them doing it for ages.Plus the fact only talking of telephone sounds very sus.
Time to watch out. George. :rudo:

MetaWraith
09-12-2003, 20:26

I agree with that sentiment, cant be too paranoid with regard to cold callers like that,especially at this time of year.

albone
09-12-2003, 20:28
or if you are in a homewatch area, let your local area/street co-ordinator know! they will be aware, if anyone is, as to what is happening or if there is a scam on the go in your area. If not they will be able to check with the police and have them check it out. If you can't be bothered. :angel:

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 20:31
or if you are in a homewatch area, let your local area/street co-ordinator know! they will be aware, if anyone is, as to what is happening or if there is a scam on the go in your area. If not they will be able to check with the police and have them check it out. If you can't be bothered. :angel:

i just wonder if it is worth me ringing ntl myself and expressing my concerns , the only problem is i dont know where it happened , time methinks for looeyb to post back to us :)

Sociable
09-12-2003, 20:40
i just wonder if it is worth me ringing ntl myself and expressing my concerns , the only problem is i dont know where it happened , time methinks for looeyb to post back to us :)

Well from post 1 it would appear to be Dartford but yes it would certainly help if the person that talked to them made the call because of all the specific details they could pass on about descriptions etc.

Odds are they will already be aware of the scam but tracking where it is operating allows a targeted response especially in warning vulnerable residents through neighbourhood watch etc.

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 20:58
Well from post 1 it would appear to be Dartford but yes it would certainly help if the person that talked to them made the call because of all the specific details they could pass on about descriptions etc.

Odds are they will already be aware of the scam but tracking where it is operating allows a targeted response especially in warning vulnerable residents through neighbourhood watch etc.

it would be nice to see this happen ;)

Gareth
10-12-2003, 09:25
I agree - both the police and NTL should be informed of this asap.