PDA

View Full Version : just seen this about ntl teesside

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 16:10
follow the link for ntl news

http://icteesside.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0001head/content_objectid=13708403_method=full_siteid=50080 _headline=-Cable%2Djobs%2Dat%2Drisk-name_page.html

asdf
09-12-2003, 16:18
One of the biggest expenses is staff and that is always the first to go.

It's unfortunate. Good luck to the Teeside bunch :)

spaldinho
09-12-2003, 16:25
follow the link for ntl news

http://icteesside.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0001head/content_objectid=13708403_method=full_siteid=50080 _headline=-Cable%2Djobs%2Dat%2Drisk-name_page.html

Interesting reading, though it sounds like they are consolidating departments. I don't think anybody at Preston Farm will be too surprised by this, and I'm sure there will be more of the same to come.

NTL have made no secret in their bid for streamlining the operation

I doubt they'll be able to close Preston Farm altogether of course. It would be quite hard to run a regional franchise from outside the region.

cheers

Spaldinho

Neil
09-12-2003, 16:33
Interesting-looks like this is part of the restructure that is taking place, with Aizad heading up a division called 'new' ntl: home, & Peter Wilcock heading up a division called "customer operations and business improvement" (COBI for short)

The other thing with this is that ntl now feel they are in a position to 'push for growth' :eek: Jeez-they can't even cope with the customer base they have, let alone with an increased customer base. :rolleyes:

Looks like the old mentality is back-'keep signing 'em up'.....never mind that our network cant currently cope with the customers we do have, let's just keep taking on new customers.....:afire:

Like I have always said-The rot starts at the top. :dozey:

Macca
09-12-2003, 17:25
The other thing with this is that ntl now feel they are in a position to 'push for growth' :eek: Jeez-they can't even cope with the customer base they have, let alone with an increased customer base. :rolleyes:

Looks like the old mentality is back-'keep signing 'em up'.....never mind that our network cant currently cope with the customers we do have, let's just keep taking on new customers.....:afire:

Fair point. Not in a position to agree or disagree with the networks problem but if they got everything right at install there would not be as many problems as there as just now. What I mean is, if the right cabling was used for the right type of install. Don't get me wrong, I think the installers do a good job but it is a proven fact that if the right cable is used then the fault rates reduce dramatically.

Pierre
09-12-2003, 17:25
Old News,

Those jobs cuts in the customer accounts dept at Teeside were announced on Sept 26th.

There are loads of other little snips all over the company.

Neil is correct about the Re-org, with two ntl:Home divisions being formed and some being transferred back into Networks.

Since the creation of the ntl:Home and the six Regions they have gone off on their merry way forming their own procedures and processes, it's like dealing with six separate companies. This is a move to bring them all back into line.

Neil
09-12-2003, 17:39
Old News,

Those jobs cuts in the customer accounts dept at Teeside were announced on Sept 26th.

Neil is correct about the Re-org, with two ntl:Home divisions being formed and some being transferred back into Networks.

Since the creation of the ntl:Home and the six Regions they have gone off on their merry way forming their own procedures and processes, it's like dealing with six separate companies. This is a move to bring them all back into line.

Hi Pierre :wavey:

So the idea that "6 regional companies is a good idea, & the way forward", is no longer a good idea (something that I have long disagreed with for the record) is no longer a good idea, & "lets spend loads of cash pulling everyone into less 'divisions' " is a good idea?

I'm not having a dig at you m8, but it just highlights the incompetancy that is rife at the top of ntl. :dozey:

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 18:01
Old News,

oh well it looked like new news to me , not to worry , back to :zzz: for me then

Escapee
09-12-2003, 18:37
Old News,

I am very sad for the people affected by job losses again.

I am also glad that someone is agreeing with some of the points that I have been making for a long time but usually get ignored.

Only the people involved with Networks, Headends, Support and Projects outside in the regions will know about the goings on. When I left ntl there was a general mess about the situation, because the department that I was working for were in limbo other departments started growing their family tree to take over our work. The right arm didn't know what the left arm was doing and I personally even appeared on 3 different organisational charts for three different departments all at the same time!

The whole situation was one of empire building by managers to make them look busy and important, because the more staff they had under them the less likely it was that they would get the chop. Unfortunately that situation has never really been looked at, I am not saying that Teeside is anything like that but in Wales Engineers/Technicians were reporting to managers they would hardly ever see, because it was all about spreading the employees around under the bottom tier of managers to give them enough people to keep their job.

Technician and Engineer numbers in the regions have decreased through natural wastage ie: people getting fed up and leaving and the odd redundancies and sacking that have been sneaked in here and there.
It's spot on about them going off on their merry own way to form their own processes and procedures, different regions handle things totally differently and I know that is being looked at recently.
I was also told that they are looking at reducing the number of regions to 3 in order to cut duplications further, it has always been the same situation where structures will last about 18 months and be changed back to one that they had previously. This is just another cycle in the ongoing change and shambles in ntl, someone says it's not working and it's all change again, we used to find in Wales that we were Celtic region, Wales and West, Wales and Midlands and then Celtic region again. In amongst these major changes there were many smaller changes on a regular basis.

We knew which region would benefit by the changes when we knew which region the Regional Director was from, the next one would then carve the previous guys work up and start looking after his own region/backyard.

I lost count of the amount of times engineering support was changed from region to central, the central idea never worked because they were never able to support the awkward problems experienced in the region on a daily basis.

Whatever happens with these changes it will not be the end, because as one ntl director used to say. "The only thing constant in ntl is change"

Best of luck to anyone affected by the changes!

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 18:53
good post my mate :tu:

Pierre
10-12-2003, 09:33
Escapee is correct:

This latest re-org may or may not make things better. On avg ntl must re-org part of the company every 6 months.

The first real big re-org was when they bought CWC, that was when although it was ntl that bought CWC, the CWC people thought it was the other way around.

Then Carter came in and formed the ntl:Home division and regions, elements that were in networks where put into home so that they could manage themsleves. This was done to drive costs down and the regions were just about given free reign to do whatever they wanted as long as they were cost effective.

When Carter left and Duffy came in, one the first things he questioned was why these elements where in Home and not in Networks. So this is the first re-org in the world according to Duffy.

But don't worry it wont be the last, with the Telewest merger on the horizon (some say 2005 now). It will all change again.

P.S. don't be suprised if certain elements of the Business division revert back into either Home or Networks also as there is shameful duplication there also.

Frank
10-12-2003, 12:07
On avg ntl must re-org part of the company every 6 months.
You're telling me. Shows incompetence at the top if you ask me. They constantly change their mind about everything and this clearly affects operational performace as something is always changing.

Scarlett
10-12-2003, 12:18
Escapee is correct:

This latest re-org may or may not make things better. On avg ntl must re-org part of the company every 6 months.

I know that feeling, we seem to get yearly re-orgs (and redundancys!) here.

Escapee
10-12-2003, 12:51
Escapee is correct:

The first real big re-org was when they bought CWC, that was when although it was ntl that bought CWC, the CWC people thought it was the other way around.

Then Carter came in and formed the ntl:Home division and regions, elements that were in networks where put into home so that they could manage themsleves. This was done to drive costs down and the regions were just about given free reign to do whatever they wanted as long as they were cost effective.

When Carter left and Duffy came in, one the first things he questioned was why these elements where in Home and not in Networks. So this is the first re-org in the world according to Duffy.

But don't worry it wont be the last, with the Telewest merger on the horizon (some say 2005 now). It will all change again.

P.S. don't be suprised if certain elements of the Business division revert back into either Home or Networks also as there is shameful duplication there also.

Of course being from an ex-cabletel area (The company that bought ntl and then used their name) I was used to re-orgs. They happened long befoe the CableTel/ntl buyout of CWC.

I do of course agree with your comments about CWC taking over ntl, we certainly suffered when the CWC bosses started to feather their own nests and make ntl people redundant to save their own. It was all about power strguggles the senior managers were visiting the region like campaigning politicins trying to drum up some support for their own plans.

Every re-org in ntl has been the same, in every instance the customer and the employee at the lower end is the ones that suffer.

I was always against some of the things that happened between the Networks and Home division as it used to be, faults used to bounce between them without anyone taking ownership and the customer ultimately suffered. These days the Home ie: callcentre people have taken control of the guys looking after the local networks and it has gone too much the other way, well intentioned but unskilled people are making decisions without realsing the impact.

Perhaps the guys at the top will realise that having customer care calling all the engineering shots is not necessarily a good idea, as they appear to make hasy decisions today with no thought about the backlog of problems they will create tomorrow or next week etc.

All in all the guys working in Networks/Home in the regions that I know are pretty much pi***d off with the company, and many of them are expecting their P45 any day now.

Lord Nikon
11-12-2003, 15:07
I would have thought Aizad Hussein would be better in charge of an entirely new dept...

One based on the "official" NTL stance from the BSG conference

Broadband User Liason Looking into Secure Home Internet Throughput Technologies & Enhanced Rates.

Escapee
11-12-2003, 19:13
I would have thought Aizad Hussein would be better in charge of an entirely new dept...

One based on the "official" NTL stance from the BSG conference

Broadband User Liason Looking into Secure Home Internet Throughput Technologies & Enhanced Rates.

Aizad appeared on the scene after I left, I guess he joined in the power struggles and was the one to come out on top in the empire building stakes.

I have spoken to people that have dealt with him at the dirty end ie: work and not met him at conferences etc but can't comment myself.

One thing was allways sure in the regions and central suuport/engineering.

"The **** allways floated to the top" :rolleyes: