PDA

View Full Version : Engineer booked

Florence
25-07-2006, 08:23
Well lets start with the TS (India calling) They give out more BS than the CEO of NTL.

Last night I was offline for the third time this month and the tech suport just got me to reboot everything yet again the modem still had no sync. So now I was told to remove the white coax cable from the modem and leave it for 30 seconds before reconnecting it. Guess you are with me here still no sync. She says I need an engineer to visit now this is Monday 7.25 PM the earliest appointment for an engineer is Thursday between 12 and 6pm. I mean if it was the weekend I could understand a three day wait for an engineer but through the week that is not acceptable and shows the shortage of engineers that NTL have now. This is all NTL's workmanship as they are the ones making the staff redundant.

The connection came back on around
9pm last night which has me thinking its NTL's network not the modem plus the green box for me is in full sunlight all day and we are having a heatwave.

Do I cancel this engineer or still allow him to come but I will cancel if they try to charge me.

MovedGoalPosts
25-07-2006, 08:33
Chaces are the engineer just won't show anyway. But if your connection has dropped so many times surely you want someone to check everything is in tolerance. AS far as you are concerned, India has seen there is a problem, and unless ntl contact you to say everything is OK, you still have a problem.

Angua
25-07-2006, 08:37
Well lets start with the TS (India calling) They give out more BS than the CEO of NTL.

Last night I was offline for the third time this month and the tech suport just got me to reboot everything yet again the modem still had no sync. So now I was told to remove the white coax cable from the modem and leave it for 30 seconds before reconnecting it. Guess you are with me here still no sync. She says I need an engineer to visit now this is Monday 7.25 PM the earliest appointment for an engineer is Thursday between 12 and 6pm. I mean if it was the weekend I could understand a three day wait for an engineer but through the week that is not acceptable and shows the shortage of engineers that NTL have now. This is all NTL's workmanship as they are the ones making the staff redundant.

The connection came back on around
9pm last night which has me thinking its NTL's network not the modem plus the green box for me is in full sunlight all day and we are having a heatwave.

Do I cancel this engineer or still allow him to come but I will cancel if they try to charge me.

If you are at home it may be worth letting him visit, I have had similar downtime problems although they haven't set foot inside the house. Apparently many of the outages are down to the heat which as the overseas tech centres can only check for signal strength their answer is always to arrange an engineer.

Wicked_and_Crazy
25-07-2006, 08:57
i had a similar problem last summer where the connection dropped in the afternoon and came back late evening. An eng came and re balanced everything and solved the problem, he claimed it was to do with new customers being added to the same cable run that i was on and as a result this affected the power output of the amp and therefore my connection was out of the snr limits. He didnt think it was heat causing the problem more likely a higher load at that particular point in the day

Florence
25-07-2006, 15:45
Well I am at home this thursday as I start the summer holidays today but if I had to take a day off it would have cost me a days pay as I can never book a day off as holiday just not allowed them in term time. :rolleyes:

Cable Modem Downstream
Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 1
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -3.4 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 31.1 dB

Cable Modem Upstream
Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2