PDA

View Full Version : DNS Outage again

spaldinho
09-12-2003, 09:47
Hi, I have been experiencing browsing problems since the 4th December. I have rang NTL several times to be told "the engineers are aware of the problem, and are working on it". I finally lost patience last night, and changed my dns settings to Pipex and chose a different NTL proxy. The result ? Better browsing, but still a little slower than I have come to expect from my 600kbit service. Better than nothing though.

I have read elsewhere on this forum that the dns servers can be set in your hardware router. Does this apply to all hardware routers ? I have a NetGear, which I use to split my broadband around the house. Is there any advantage to setting the dns servers here rather than in my network properties on my pc's ?

Keep up the good work, great website :)

Spaldinho

dialanothernumb
09-12-2003, 09:55
Is there any advantage to setting the dns servers here rather than in my network properties on my pc's ?

Spaldinho

Well, you wouldn't have to change the DNS settings on all your PCs, just the router, for a start

Paul
09-12-2003, 15:24
Hi, I have been experiencing browsing problems since the 4th December. I have rang NTL several times to be told "the engineers are aware of the problem, and are working on it". I finally lost patience last night, and changed my dns settings to Pipex and chose a different NTL proxy. The result ? Better browsing, but still a little slower than I have come to expect from my 600kbit service. Better than nothing though.

I have read elsewhere on this forum that the dns servers can be set in your hardware router. Does this apply to all hardware routers ? I have a NetGear, which I use to split my broadband around the house. Is there any advantage to setting the dns servers here rather than in my network properties on my pc's ?

Spaldinho
If you changed dns and your proxy then how do you know it was dns ? - it is just as likely to have been the proxy that was at fault.

paulyoung666
09-12-2003, 15:29

Spaldinho

where abouts in teesside mate , i have been having problems in norton , a change of proxy sorted it out for me

spaldinho
09-12-2003, 15:37
If you changed dns and your proxy then how do you know it was dns ? - it is just as likely to have been the proxy that was at fault.

Hi,
I tested several proxies first which seemed to make no difference. I then changed the dns settings, which made my browser jump into life. I'm sure that if I set my proxy back to the way it was, it would be fine.

If NTL sorted things out in the first place, I wouldn't be resorting to trial and error in the first place ...

cheers

Spaldinho

spaldinho
09-12-2003, 15:42
where abouts in teesside mate , i have been having problems in norton , a change of proxy sorted it out for me

Hi,
I'm in Billingham, and was getting pig-sick of poor service. I found that if I left a page long enough, it would load about 10% of the page from the top. If I tried to download anything through http, it would stop within 20 seconds and just seemed to freeze.

FWIW, I'm using a proxy in Northampton ATM. When I get home tonight, I'll have a play and see what works best.

cheers

Spaldinho