PDA

View Full Version : Installation query

FusionXN1
24-07-2006, 01:58
Typically, how long does it take for an NTL engineer to call to do an install from the day of an order.

I will be a new customer next month and the house already has cable to it and the owner has the 1mb service downstairs.

We want TV downstairs and 10mb upstairs. Thanks for your time.

kronas
24-07-2006, 03:16
in my area they usally come out between 9am and 1pm or 1pm till 5pm, as for the cabling, your tv service will proberbly be fed from the existing downstairs line, if its the same room as the guys 1mbit broadband.

the broadband 10mbit line upstairs, a line (usally) will be taken from the outside junction box, up the wall and and drilled through a appropriate place, and taken across skirting, through any other walls etc.

its up to the enginner really, if you want it done a specific way, taken this or that way then just give him some tea (or coffee) cold drink, some cake or something he would like by asking him and be polite, he might just do it your way ;)

hairy_mick
24-07-2006, 09:26
your install will be classed as a reconnect so point is already in the tec will only be given a certain amount of time for the job he will have other customers to install on that day if its a big job he may advise you to get a wireless router so your broadband might stay down stairs i am afriad to be fair he is only being paid for the reconnect not to do the extra work.

FusionXN1
24-07-2006, 15:03
We have a wireless router but our network is wired. So we would like it upstairs if possible, and we will be a new NTL customer so I don't see how it could be a reconnect?

melevittfl
24-07-2006, 15:44
We have a wireless router but our network is wired. So we would like it upstairs if possible, and we will be a new NTL customer so I don't see how it could be a reconnect?

I had the same situation. Previous owners had TV in the front room and we put our office in the back room on the first floor.

Installer split the incoming coax at the outside junction box, ran a cable around the outside of the house and through the outside wall of the office.

hairy_mick
24-07-2006, 18:15
Even if you are a new customer if your house is pre wired its classed as a reconnect trust me.