PDA

View Full Version : Can i connect usb and ethernet at same time ?

tucker61
23-07-2006, 07:35
After constantly being kicked off games for last month due to latency issues, I want to bypass my belkin router.
I have a PC for my gaming and the wife has a wireless laptop. So she needs access through the router.
If i connect the usb cable from the back of my modem, Can i use the usb for my PC and the Ethernet to the router, so this way eliminating that the router is causing me any of the setup issues.
If i could do this, then how do install the modem on my PC when using usb, it comes up found new software, but cannot find a driver for it.
If i can't any ideas, have ran all spy-ware, anti virus etc. Ntl ran a ping test with no issues, they think problem is at my end.

jellybaby
23-07-2006, 09:07
I'm afraid you can only use one connection at a time.

Have you tried doing some speed tests etc without the router in place? Connect directly to the modem and see if it makes any difference, this way you will know whether its your router or not

=GAMMO=
23-07-2006, 10:06
This is not alot of help im afraid, but i had the same problem with a Belkin router i brought, it wasnt wireless but kept kicking me out of games nearly bang on every 6-7 minutes ended up taking it back to the shop i got it from and got a Netgear which hasnt let me down once yet and that is wireless :)

tucker61
23-07-2006, 10:13
when i disconnected the router then all the settings were incorrect and i could not connect to the internet, how do i restore the original settings.

jellybaby
23-07-2006, 10:15
Sorry, you need to restart you modem

Paul K
23-07-2006, 10:17
Power off modem and PC, power up modem, wait for lights to settle, power up PC. Should resolve things as suggested above by JB ;)

tucker61
23-07-2006, 11:00
just completed, and connected with no problems, looks like might need new Wireless router. Any recommendations.???

SnoopZ
23-07-2006, 11:11
just completed, and connected with no problems, looks like might need new Wireless router. Any recommendations.???

Alot of people tend to sway towards the Linksys WRT54GS router (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002LHXB6/026-1761865-5136459?v=glance&n=560798) on this Forum including myself, and it works flawlessly on my 10mb. :)

Begize
23-07-2006, 12:05
Alot of people tend to sway towards the Linksys WRT54GS router (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0002LHXB6/026-1761865-5136459?v=glance&n=560798) on this Forum including myself, and it works flawlessly on my 10mb. :)

I wouldn't touch Linksys with a sh*tty stick - I've heard this model is actually OK but my previous experience with others in the range and NTL leads me to think they're not as good as everyone makes out. Their support is appalling, their software and firmware updates very random (I had two of the same model, both with different (newer) firmware on them than the Linksys site said was the latest available). I constantly got connection issues, sometimes they would connect, sometimes not, sometimes the PC's wouldn't even find the wireless LAN. I tried them in different areas of the house (even a different house), tried to contact Linksys support (answer to everything, reset to factory defaults and try again) and finally gave up and got a Netgear WGR614UK which works flawlessly.

SnoopZ
23-07-2006, 12:38
I wouldn't touch Linksys with a sh*tty stick - I've heard this model is actually OK but my previous experience with others in the range and NTL leads me to think they're not as good as everyone makes out. Their support is appalling, their software and firmware updates very random (I had two of the same model, both with different (newer) firmware on them than the Linksys site said was the latest available). I constantly got connection issues, sometimes they would connect, sometimes not, sometimes the PC's wouldn't even find the wireless LAN. I tried them in different areas of the house (even a different house), tried to contact Linksys support (answer to everything, reset to factory defaults and try again) and finally gave up and got a Netgear WGR614UK which works flawlessly.

I'd say you're in the minority then and i wouldn't touch Netgear with a barge pole. I'm just recommending what others on this site are said to prefer.

=GAMMO=
23-07-2006, 15:46
Tbh, i had nothing but problems when i brought a Linksys WRT54GS router and to be sure it wasnt faulty i had it replaced and tried again only to get exactally the same faults, im using a WGR614 v6 Netgear wireless router and cant find a fault with it at all :)

Stuart
23-07-2006, 17:08
My linksys has been fine. Far more reliable than either the Netgear or Dlink routers I had before it..

ickle
25-07-2006, 16:23
i use the linksys router and an access point to link up 2 pc's and a laptop and on 10mb....no real problemss with them that cant be solved by rebooting them!!