PDA

View Full Version : Ethernet Port On Pace Box

emsee
22-07-2006, 20:07
Hello all!

I already know that an ethernet port is used to connect to the internet... So if i connected an ethernet wire from my router to my NTL Pace digital box i would have internet on that? And if this is the case how do i configure the Pace box to let me browse the internet on it? Hmmm any suggestions people?

Stuart
22-07-2006, 20:10
You phone NTL and ask them to do it.. You can't.

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

Moved to NTL Broadband forum.

emsee
22-07-2006, 20:13
So if i connected an ethernet wire to the Pace digital box... what would hppen?

And by contacting NTL asking them to set this up would cost me?

And if this is set up what kind of internet or internet facilities should i expect from the Pace NTL digital Box?

Thank You :D

deathtrap3000
22-07-2006, 20:22
the only way to get internet on the stb is to pay for it as it comes down the cable with the tv signal

emsee
22-07-2006, 20:42
and how much would that cost? so the ethernet port is useless untill i subscribe to sumthing else :(

homealone
22-07-2006, 20:50
and how much would that cost? so the ethernet port is useless untill i subscribe to sumthing else :(

for a 1Mb/s connection, £17.99 per month.

the ethernet port is not 'useless', it just isn't required until you want internet access :)

Graham M
22-07-2006, 20:58
Also, it isnt used on some parts of NTL's network, Langley uses SACMs all round I beleive

emsee
22-07-2006, 21:05
Iv already got NTL INTERNET! The 1MB 17.99 A month One... so now can i put the Ethernet wire in and get internet on the PACE NTL DIGITAL BOX. Iv already got internet on my PC lol

homealone
22-07-2006, 21:12
Iv already got NTL INTERNET! The 1MB 17.99 A month One... so now can i put the Ethernet wire in and get internet on the PACE NTL DIGITAL BOX. Iv already got internet on my PC lol

No, anyway, what would be the point if you already have a connection, which you share with a router. If you want another internet connection, you will need to set up another account, and pay the extra subscription.

emsee
22-07-2006, 22:01
what connection? i dont want another connection... So what is the ethernet port on the NTL PACE digital box for then?

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:57 ----------

basically i just want to put an ethernet wire from my router in the NTL PACE DIgital box {stb} Thats all... who said i wanted to pay for another connection :S

Creative
22-07-2006, 22:33
what connection? i dont want another connection... So what is the ethernet port on the NTL PACE digital box for then?

basically i just want to put an ethernet wire from my router in the NTL PACE DIgital box {stb} Thats all... who said i wanted to pay for another connection :S

You have Broadband already, but you want more? If not then why would you want to connect to the STB?
If you are on the Langley platform then the ethernet is useless unless you have an engineering build of software, which allows some interaction with data on the STB.
If you are on the Bromley platform then the box can be used for Broadband, but it has to be enabled by ntl and is limited on speed.

Marge
22-07-2006, 22:34

I can see it's already been explained several times what the ethernet port on the stb does but here goes, I'll try flogging a dead horse as well :erm:

The ethernet port enables a subscriber to access Broadband via the NTL STB PACE BOX. For this Broadband connection you pay ntl a sum of money per month and they send the relevant signal to the box. By all means plug an ethernet cable into the STB box via your router but don't expect to access the internet. The ethernet port has no other function other than stated above.

homealone
22-07-2006, 23:12

I can see it's already been explained several times what the ethernet port on the stb does but here goes, I'll try flogging a dead horse as well :erm:

The ethernet port enables a subscriber to access Broadband via the NTL STB PACE BOX. For this Broadband connection you pay ntl a sum of money per month and they send the relevant signal to the box. By all means plug an ethernet cable into the STB box via your router but don't expect to access the internet. The ethernet port has no other function other than stated above.

thanks Marge, i hope that makes it clearer for emsee :)

spiderplant
22-07-2006, 23:31
emsee: I think I see your misunderstanding. The STB (if told to do so by ntl) would provide an internet connection in the same way as your cable modem does. You can't get the STB to connect to the internet via the Ethernet port.

If you really did want web access on your STB, that can be done (for something like £8 a month). It doesn't use the ethernet - it just gets its internet connection down the cable. But there is no point if you already have broadband to a PC.

emsee
22-07-2006, 23:47
Ok i think only spiderplant gets what i wanted to do But for all u other people out there this is what i wanted to do....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ekual/?action=view&current=fORCABLEFORUM.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

^ I linked it coz i drew so Giv it a look!

Some sort of internet service on the BOX itself so i dono so i could download games on the box etc (games was just an example)

Get it?

Bill C
22-07-2006, 23:54
Ok i think only spiderplant gets what i wanted to do But for all u other people out there this is what i wanted to do....

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v314/ekual/?action=view&current=fORCABLEFORUM.jpg&refPage=&imgAnch=imgAnch1

^ I linked it coz i drew so Giv it a look!

Some sort of internet service on the BOX itself so i dono so i could download games on the box etc (games was just an example)

Get it?
What you have pictured will not work anyway. That is unless you also buy a duel wan router simaler to this ONE. (http://netgear.co.uk/firewall_router_25_vpn_tunnels_gigabit_connectivit y.php)

Cost about £115.00 . i have one and they are very buggy. It can also be done in wingate but again that cost money.

Trust me you cannot do what you want to do in that picture without

A. Paying for another broadband connection "via STB"
B. Paying for a duel wan router.

Now you can go on all day asking but i and others have told you the correct answer. It will not work as per your picture without lots of MONEY

MovedGoalPosts
22-07-2006, 23:58
Nope you can't get an internet service running on the STB by connecting it to ethernet. The ethernet port is an outlet only that enables the STB to provide the functions of a modem. But, especially in the case of the PACE boxes, that functionality was very limited in speed.

There is a limited internet service on the STB, but that comes from the co-axial cable that brings in your TV services. I know my are had a basic email function. But it was all so pants that broadband on computer vastly superceeds it.

As for games and stuff like that - go and buy yourself an X-box ;)

emsee
23-07-2006, 00:00
cotch spiderplant already answered my question.... jus put up wht i drew so hu ever did not understand me before can now....

Marge
23-07-2006, 00:01
Emsee, if you want internet connection via the STB, YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. ntl doesn't provide free connection via the STB full stop. The people that currently connect this say do so instead of via the Cable Modem not as well as.

Some people can access a very basic internet service via the STB but this does NOT connect via a pc or router, all the info is displayed on your TV.

emsee
23-07-2006, 00:02
HAHAHAAH...NO.... The games was an example not exactly what i was planning to do...

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 23:01 ----------

Yeh okay i get it... Thanx...

Creative
23-07-2006, 00:07
For me its no clearer!
If you wanted a basic internet browsing facility displayed on your TV from your STB then the STB can provide it, but it comes to the box via the RF feed. The ethernet connection is not used at all. Like Spiderplant say's if you want browsing available via the STB and your TV then its extra.

deathtrap3000
23-07-2006, 00:49
Well you can get internet on the stb. But it can only be done by subscribing to the tv internet service which costs about £10 if i remember correctly. I know someone that used the internet tv but got rid of it because it was useless for sending emails on anything other than the tv email.
Also what on earth was unlimited going on about the dual wan router thing.

emsee
23-07-2006, 00:54
exactly lol

popper
23-07-2006, 04:56
unlimited, have you tryed one of the 3rd party firmwares for your box?, i could only find one reference and thats in another language but given a little time searching you could find more id think
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=974&highlight=fvs124g

i think people were just misunderstanding emsee's question and if it were explained a little more that they wanted to get access to the limited STB web on the tv service then it would have been cleared up far quicker.

i know ntl are in business to make money, but it might have been nice if they included the extreamly limited STB web tv for free for people that take the 4/10mbit package rather than charge a £10 for that thing, or even make a one off payment for the wireless keyboard and get the stb web for free (do they still sell the wireless stb keyboards?) .

if you dont know what the WAN port is it can get hard to explain but essentially the cable lead/RF feed/coax cable/whatever you want to call it, is in effect the WAN input for the STB and you dont normally get to use/interact with that port as an end user.

3rd party STB's do exist that would allow you for instance to connect your PC network to them and use their inbuilt servers to play your mpeg2/avi video through them directly on the connected tv but NTL didnt see fit to include that option (in firmware) on their rebadged STBs.

Bill C
23-07-2006, 09:14
Well you can get internet on the stb. But it can only be done by subscribing to the tv internet service which costs about £10 if i remember correctly. I know someone that used the internet tv but got rid of it because it was useless for sending emails on anything other than the tv email.
Also what on earth was unlimited going on about the dual wan router thing.
If you look at his picture it shows 2 Internet connections ie 1 on the cable modem and 1 on the stb. Now in my book that means 2 Ethernet connections.

To have 2 Ethernet connections with 2 Internet connections live on them you would need a duel wan router. Simple.

But hey if you don't think i am correct look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Load_Balancing)

Simple Internet on a STB does NOT come out of the Ethernet port.

emsee
23-07-2006, 21:11
sorry unlimited thats not what i wanted to do :)

deathtrap3000
23-07-2006, 22:15
If you look at his picture it shows 2 Internet connections ie 1 on the cable modem and 1 on the stb. Now in my book that means 2 Ethernet connections.

To have 2 Ethernet connections with 2 Internet connections live on them you would need a duel wan router. Simple.

But hey if you don't think i am correct look here (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Load_Balancing)

Simple Internet on a STB does NOT come out of the Ethernet port.
theres not two internet connections.
theres one.
he wanted to know if he plugged a ethernet cable into his stb from his router then would the stb be able to browse the net.
but it cant unless he pays an extra £10 a month

emsee
23-07-2006, 23:17
exactly deathtrap3000...

MovedGoalPosts
23-07-2006, 23:21
And that should be the end of the confusion ;)

kovy
11-05-2011, 23:35
Just bought a pace rgn200n. I saw on their site somewhere that you can use the ethernet so other tv's in your house can play the recordings.
The hookup you're talking about (receiver to router) is for this isn't it?
How do I do this and how does it work. Thanks.

Nopanic
11-05-2011, 23:40
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2011/05/91.jpg

You bought a pace box ? er .. what

Peter_
11-05-2011, 23:43
You bought a pace box ? er .. what
He is a Non UK poster so nothing to do with Virginmedia services.:D