PDA

View Full Version : I'm a little confused

sonic1
22-07-2006, 10:48
hi all,

i rang ntl to upgrade my broadband service from 4mb to 10mb but i was told it was not possible since i am currently getting my 4mb broadband through samsung set-top box and to get 10mb i would have to get a cable modem. But on the ntlworld website it mentions that it is possible to get 10mb through the set-top box, so i am a little confused.:confused:

Ok if i have to go the cable modem route to get 10mb, do i have to pay 4 the modem? and can i install the cable modem myself or does an ntl engineer have to do it?

cheers.

MovedGoalPosts
22-07-2006, 11:11
:welcome: to Cable Forum :D

I don't know if it has changed with some new software, but the Samsung STBs, were never capable of the full 10meg speeds, I think around 5-6meg was about their lot. On that basis I can't expalin what you see on the website.

You can upgrade to a modem, but there was a one of £50.00 charge for that - dunno if the penny pinchers at ntl have dropped that yet.

sonic1
22-07-2006, 11:19
Thanks 4 the welcome and reply Rob C :)

I actually don't mind having internet access through a cable modem. So can u tell me whether ntl deliver the modem once ordered and install it or is it up to me to install the cable modem myself?

MovedGoalPosts
22-07-2006, 11:24
Ntl will have to install. Presumably as you have a STB, you have TV service, so you will still need the STB. That means you will need an additional cable run from the external box on your wall, or at least ntl will have to split the cable somewhere to allow both devices to be "plugeed" in.

sonic1
22-07-2006, 12:20
ok cheers 4 the help

deathtrap3000
22-07-2006, 15:12
When i went from 1meg to 10meg an engineer came and fitted a splitter to the original cable and split the connections to the cable modem and the samsung stb. I wasnt charged anything for this which was awfully nice of them seeing as when i had bb through the stb it was nothing but intermitant and crap. But now its flawless and im only paying £25 for the full 10meg.

sonic1
22-07-2006, 22:01
yeah I think I will go 4 the 10meg connection, for a short while to see what all the fuss is about lol. So are there download limits, and does the cable modem come with a built in firewall, or do i have to use my own one?

SnoopZ
22-07-2006, 22:05
yeah I think I will go 4 the 10meg connection, for a short while to see what all the fuss is about lol. So are there download limits, and does the cable modem come with a built in firewall, or do i have to use my own one?

The modem won't have a firewall in it. If you want a hardware firewall buy a router (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/250537). :)

No download limits on Ntl broadband.

Ramrod
22-07-2006, 22:10
ntl waved the modem install fee when I explained to them that I was paying the 10meg price but only receiving 5-6 meg through no fault of my own......

NitroNutter
23-07-2006, 03:45
The modem won't have a firewall in it. If you want a hardware firewall buy a router (http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/product/seo/250537). :) No download limits on Ntl broadband. Nice to know they have dropped the cap allround finally, must have realised it was too anti competetive, just a shame they still restrict to 3 computers/devices connected at once via a router/firewall, bit out of touch on that one for my household.

deathtrap3000
23-07-2006, 04:53
Nice to know they have dropped the cap allround finally, must have realised it was too anti competetive, just a shame they still restrict to 3 computers/devices connected at once via a router/firewall, bit out of touch on that one for my household.

didnt they drop the cap bout 6months ago at the end of last year or has my memory skipped again.

and i use 3 devices or more at the same time in my house all the time (xbox360, laptop, 2 pc's ect...) and ive had no probs with ntl (since i switched from a stb to a sacm)

SnoopZ
23-07-2006, 11:43
didnt they drop the cap bout 6months ago at the end of last year or has my memory skipped again.

and i use 3 devices or more at the same time in my house all the time (xbox360, laptop, 2 pc's ect...) and ive had no probs with ntl (since i switched from a stb to a sacm)

1mb and 2mb went unlimited in January 2006 and i believe 10mb went unlimited a month or so ago.