PDA

View Full Version : Sunburn! post your experiences

SnoopZ
20-07-2006, 23:28
Has anyone ever misjudged the power of the sun?

When i was in France a few years back i popped out to the sunbed by the pool late morning and stayed there for around 3 hours. Getting sunburnt never crossed my mind as it was very cloudy and couldn't see the sun and it was nearly the end of a 2 week holiday so i didn't think to rub the cream on!

Oh boy was i wrong! This is what i looked like at around 3pm that day, by 10pm that night i could of been used to heat half of Paris. :disturbd:

Paul
20-07-2006, 23:33
Yes, when we went to Spain last month, I got caught on my ankle as I obviously missed a bit, it was quite sore and painful for a day - but after that I managed to get some general purpose antiseptic/soothing cream and it recovered in a few days.

danielf
20-07-2006, 23:39
Has anyone ever misjudged the power of the sun?

When i was in France a few years back i popped out to the sunbed by the pool late morning and stayed there for around 3 hours. Getting sunburnt never crossed my mind as it was very cloudy and couldn't see the sun and it was nearly the end of a 2 week holiday so i didn't think to rub the cream on!

Oh boy was i wrong! This is what i looked like at around 3pm that day, by 10pm that night i could of been used to heat half of Paris. :disturbd:

I fell asleep on a Spanish beach once. No sunscreen applied. I looked a bit like you in that pic, except I had been sleeping with my arm across my chest, so I had an imprint of my arm/hand on my chest :D

SnoopZ
20-07-2006, 23:41
I fell asleep on a Spanish beach once. No sunscreen applied. I looked a bit like you in that pic, except I had been sleeping with my arm across my chest, so I had an imprint of my arm/hand on my chest :D

lol. :D

ikthius
21-07-2006, 13:06
I went for a 10 min dip in the sea in the cook islands about 6 years back, and I had the worst case of sunburn I had ever had on my back.

I could handle the pain, the dryness but the itchiness, nearly drove me to weither kill someone or myself (kidding) but it is the main factor for me not getting my t-shirt off ever, unless it is 8pm and the sun is away.

ik

punky
21-07-2006, 14:03
No pics, but t'other arf will testify...

I was in Florida in June... Just as sunny and hot as mid-late summer, but just not as humid.

Anyway, I thought i'd take my t-shirt off for a while on Cocoa beach.... turned out to be about 6 hours :erm: I was.. erm... uncomfortable for a few days. I wanted to skin myself alive.

Derek
21-07-2006, 17:16
The worst sunburn I ever had was in Las Vegas where I had put loads of sunblock on but stopped at my watch on one arm. I then proceeded to get fairly drunk in the sun.

Going about a hotel with a VERY red hand being laughed at by fat Americans (surely the most humiliating experience in the world) wasn't fun.

Skatoony
21-07-2006, 17:40
My experience was in Spain when I was much younger. I was on the beach for a few hours, after going back to the hotel and coming to night I find my back is literally red. All the halogen lights within the hotel gave me pain, so I had to cover my head/shoulders/back with a towl when ever I went into the hotel or my back/shoulders would sting like hell :(

Anyway, I thought i'd take my t-shirt off for a while on Cocoa beach.... turned out to be about 6 hours :erm: I was.. erm... uncomfortable for a few days. I wanted to skin myself alive.That must have hurt :Yikes:

Damien
21-07-2006, 17:42
The worst sunburn I ever had was in Las Vegas where I had put loads of sunblock on but stopped at my watch on one arm. I then proceeded to get fairly drunk in the sun.

Going about a hotel with a VERY red hand being laughed at by fat Americans (surely the most humiliating experience in the world) wasn't fun.
Vegas :Yikes:

I went there last september, the heat is incredible. So amazingly hot you cannot describe. If we needed to go anywhere outside the hotel we were as quick as possible darting between air conditioned buildings. Even at night it doesnt let up. Cant imagine what is is like in the middle of summer. Ouch.

Pug205Tim
21-07-2006, 18:09
Wish i had pics to prove, but the worse case i had was when i fell asleep on the beach dehydrated for about 9 hours, my mates found me, whoops won't make that mistake again, after my skin had peeled it left what literally looked like scales. The doctors were amazed it left no scarring.

Derek
21-07-2006, 18:36
Vegas :Yikes:

I went there last september, the heat is incredible. So amazingly hot you cannot describe.

Yep 100 degrees + when I was there :Sun:

Ramrod
21-07-2006, 19:39
My experience was in Spain when I was much younger. Waddya mean, 'much younger'? You can't get much younger than you already are! :p: :D

homealone
21-07-2006, 19:52
The worst effect I had was on a skiing trip with school, I didn't wear a hat & got great big blisters in my ears from the sun ....

Maggy
21-07-2006, 20:55
The worst was about 16 years ago on Ryde beach.I didn't realise how hot the sun was because there was a quite cool sea breeze.I learned to cover up after that mistake.:(

Jules
21-07-2006, 21:18
Mine was when I was about 7 and we went to Bridlington, I had blisters on my back and sunstroke I remember throwing up all the time with a very bad headache :(

Macca371
21-07-2006, 21:59
I guess I'm lucky... I've inherited my mum's european skin and I don't burn I just go straight tanned :D Your pic looks very painful though SnoopZ :erm:

Pumpkin
21-07-2006, 22:10
Mine was in Greece quite a few years ago on my first holiday abroad - I burnt so bad the skin round my underarms looked like it'd been in a very hot bath for a few days, bright red, wrinkled and really painful

I had to stay out of the sun after that, which nearly killed me as I love the sun and bask like a reptile at every opportunity

danielf
21-07-2006, 22:50
Snorkeling can be a killler as well. I went snorkeling in Thailand a few years back. I was smart enough to wear a t-shirt in the water, but that obviously doesn't cover your calfs. Very painful, burnt calfs...

(I don't burn easily btw, but my calfs hardly ever seen any sun)

Mr_love_monkey
21-07-2006, 23:43
When I was in secondary school, probably 12 years old - on a school sports day, wearing one of those stupid singlet vest type tops.
My shoulders got burnt, very burnt - so badly my entire shoulders came up in water blisters. large water blisters.

lauzjp
25-07-2006, 02:47
it was just soooo nice to dry off in the sun after a dip in the lagoon at sunrise holidays in hurghada... but we got too comfortable and forgot to put sun lotion back on! :blush:

Hugh
25-07-2006, 09:53
I'm a Jock of Irish descent, so I get sunburnt at a fireworks display.

I usually keep out of the sun, unless I am wearing factor 50 (or to use it's medical term, a raincoat), but about 10 years ago in Spain I was playing with my kids in the pool, lost track of time, and had to spend 3 days in bed with sunstroke - no fun.

orangebird
25-07-2006, 10:02
Easter 2005, visiting my dad in spain. Sat on the beach (not v sunny) for two hours. Was very pink after, but didn't think too much of it. Later that evening, I passed out in a restaurant - gave my dad the fright of his life, he thought I'd died, ambulance was called etc... :erm:. Very scary and not very clever. I've now learnt to drink water - all the time! Apologies to the staff of Restaurant Chino Jing on Torrox Costa, I think I gave them all heart attacks as well. :blush:

Skatoony
25-07-2006, 11:01
Waddya mean, 'much younger'? You can't get much younger than you already are! :p: :DYou're still jealous that you're an old fart and I'm so young? :p:

Grow up Rammy! :D

Hugh
25-07-2006, 11:02
You're still jealous that you're an old fart and I'm so young? :p:

Grow up Rammy! :D

:dozey: He already has - he's just waiting for you to catch him up :D

Skatoony
25-07-2006, 11:05
:dozey: He already has - he's just waiting for you to catch him up :DThat won't be difficult if he continues to act like a child ;)

fireman328
25-07-2006, 11:51
Mine was when I was about 7 and we went to Bridlington, I had blisters on my back and sunstroke I remember throwing up all the time with a very bad headache :(

Bridlington has that affect on me as well :D :D

Scarlett
25-07-2006, 11:53
Years ago on DofE expedition. First day is glorious sunshine so we strip to t-shirts and shorts, tent pratically glowed at night and trying to put a big ruck sack on you badly sunburned back/sholders the next morning is no fun.

punky
25-07-2006, 13:19
Snorkeling can be a killler as well. I went snorkeling in Thailand a few years back. I was smart enough to wear a t-shirt in the water, but that obviously doesn't cover your calfs. Very painful, burnt calfs...

(I don't burn easily btw, but my calfs hardly ever seen any sun)

Suprisingly, not a lot of people know that... But its true... The water can have a magnifiying affect on the suns rays like the lens of a magnifing glass.

---------- Post added at 13:19 ---------- Previous post was at 13:14 ----------

Anyway, I thought i'd take my t-shirt off for a while on Cocoa beach.... turned out to be about 6 hours :erm: I was.. erm... uncomfortable for a few days. I wanted to skin myself alive.That must have hurt :Yikes:

Actually, that wasn't the worst part, funnily enough. The fact it was so itchy, and when you scratched it became really sore was the real b*****d of it.